Home > My Defender > Swiss 110 Keswick 2.4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 9 123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
lolo

Switzerland 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
Swiss 110 Keswick 2.4
Hi all,

I present to you my newly, and first, acquired Defender. A 2008 Keswick green 110.

This forum was a gold mine to get precious info that helped me getting basic knowledge on what to look for before buying it. A big thank you to all the community for the invaluable content shared here.

Harder part of the acquisition process was to find a Keswick green one in good conditions.

In it's past life it has served in a lanscape company during 81.4K miles. Full options but sunroof and leather interior. Interior need some refurbishment, specially the rear seats back panels. Body panels are well preserved with no apparent rust or bubbling issues. Roof is ok while the paint and sealant in the gutter is not in it's best shape. Undercarriage is supprisingly in good and solid condition. A treatment to get it back to nice black is foreseen in a near futur. Mechanically all sorted out and pulling strong. From a water ingress point of view, yes it leaks, in the footwell, both sides...

Anyway I am very happy to drive my Defender. I was dreaming about having one since years, now it's in my garage!

Already done some minor cosmetic enhancements. I've removed the rusty side step bars and not plan to replace them as I visually prefer without. I would have fitted traditional side steps but unfortunately it is not street legal in Switzerland. I have also resprayed satin black the headlight surrounds and the front bumper and removed the end caps. Pleased with the result.

Much more customizations to come, but it is currently very hard to source parts from UK and have them shipped in Switzerland.

Here are some pics before:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And after:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by lolo on 19th Oct 2021 10:16am. Edited 3 times in total
Post #925798 15th Oct 2021 2:50pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
My fav colour Bow down Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #925799 15th Oct 2021 2:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Looks really nice, know what you mean about getting the parts from the UK. Its the random admin fees that get me. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #925801 15th Oct 2021 3:09pm
Leamreject

Great British LR show coming up in Stoneleigh end of November, might be cost effective to plan a trip to the UK and gather some parts in person Idea Ride like you stole it!!
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #925810 15th Oct 2021 4:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
There are other benefits of not being able to get the stuff quickly, it’s like a cooling off period 😂😂 Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #925815 15th Oct 2021 5:04pm
Leamreject

Delaying your divorce more like….. Rolling with laughter Ride like you stole it!!
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #925817 15th Oct 2021 5:07pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Leamreject wrote:
Great British LR show coming up in Stoneleigh end of November, might be cost effective to plan a trip to the UK and gather some parts in person Idea

I think still need to declare them at the airport.

I feel the same pain... or possibly more as shipping costs to an island seem to be twice or more compared to mainland.

Nice truck and congratulations to the OP on the fabulous Defender. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #925821 15th Oct 2021 5:25pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Very nice. Thumbs Up

Would look even better on some HD/wolf wheels.
Post #925823 15th Oct 2021 5:34pm
BaronDefenders

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Santorini Black
Lovely! Thumbs Up Charlie

1949 Series 1 80 (SOLD)
2002 Td5 90 (SOLD)
2008 Freelander 2 (SOLD)

1958 Series 2 88 Pastel Green (2019 LR Legends Best Restored)
1983 V8 110 Limestone (Previously owned by Tom Sheppard MBE)
2004 Td5 90 Santorini Black (Td5INSIDE Powered & Rebuilt by CSK)
2012 Puma 110 Zermatt Silver (Overlanding Build)

Instagram: @BaronDefenders
Post #925829 15th Oct 2021 5:55pm
lolo

Wolf rims... I have read some much here about those, specially regarding the ET choice, ET20.6 or ET

Here in Switzerland there is pretty much no chance that ET0 will be road legal without having a certificat of comformity provided by the rim manufacturer. Those ET0 are not sourcable in here, I've tried to order in France, Germany and UK and none ship to Switzerland. What a PITA. Even genuine Wolf from LR dealer are not in stock and no delivery date available.

So in the end my local specialized dealer managed to get a set of Terrafirma Wolf like ET20.6. Which eventually defined the choice under constraint. But after carefully comparing ET0 and ET20.6, I prefer the original ET.

Those rims are mat black, it is already planned to get them painted Keswick green. I will take this opportunity to have my eyesbrow also painted.

Now what tire to put on? The size will be 255/85R16, even if out of tolerance. I hesitated between Toyo Open Country MT and BFG KM3 and finally opt for the KM3.

I am looking forward to having all this painted and mounted!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #925832 15th Oct 2021 6:06pm
lolo

ORE Wheel carrier

I've received my ORE wheel carrier last week and tackled the setup this weekend. Shipping was fast and well packaged.

Mounting instructions are clear. Four hands are required to mount it, much more easy. It took us about 3 hours including dismounting rear panel, cleaning of internal door panel and rear cross member and figuring out the proper adjustements. For the second install it took us 30min, more on this below Rolling Eyes

No missing part Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Good surprise, internal rear door in very good condition, no rust, no crack.

Click image to enlarge

Adjusting the rear plate height

Click image to enlarge

I've notice that the rear plate was slightly bent in the middle, thus was not flat before tighten up, and I was worried to damage the rear door. This was Saturday morning and I was stuck in the middle of the process. Normal, not normal, what to do? I needed help, rather quickly.

Click image to enlarge

I have emailed ORE and also found the ORE Facebook page and sent a Messenger hoping that I would get some info about that to not have to revert back and wait the next weekend. Here an incredible thing happened, Chris at ORE replied me in snap time and provided me guidance to go ahead and spontaneously proposed to send me another plate. Chris told me that this was not a real issue and by tightening the plat it will get flat without damaging anything. In engineers I trust so...

Click image to enlarge

Problem solved. I will never enough stress that is an unbelievable and outstanding customer support. Thank you ORE team, and Chris in particular Thumbs Up Bow down

I have reused the stock big washers on the back

Click image to enlarge

Make sure the back reinforcement plate is well flat on the rear cross member. If too near the jacking point the weld will not allow to get it flat and you will emboss the cross member when tightening the mounting bracket Crying or Very sad

Click image to enlarge

Adjusting the thing is not a quick job if you are picky with the details and do it for the first time, in particular to get the mounting arm well parallel to the door.

Click image to enlarge

I pushed the mounting bracket on the rear cross member to the right most position, this to make sure that the bottom hinge screw do not touch the ORE big axl and do not scratch the coating when the rear door is fully open. To get the arm fully parallel to the door (we are talking about milimeters here!) I thought the linkage bolt was a bit too short in my specific case, so I have replaced the provided 45mm M6 bolt by a 60mm.

Exclamation [EDIT] Talk with Chris @ ORE about that. I am not an engineer but Chris is! The provided 45mm bolt is perfectly ok, no issue with the product. Again an incredible customer orientation. Thanks for that Chris [/EDIT]

End result. Here the rear wheel support is set to minimum depth. The rear wheel, here a 7.5 tire on 5.5 steel rim, is offseted by about 8cm. Easy improvement would be to have a 2cm shorter wheel adjusting support, more complicated improvement would be to get a S line carrier arm that would reduce this offset and have the wheel closer to the door.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Idea should you considere renovating or changing your rear cross member bolts and bottom hinge screws do it BEFORE mounting the wheel carrier, because than two of these bolts and screws are no more accessible! That's why I had to do it twice, unmounting the wheel carrier, change the bolts/screws and resetup the carrier. 2nd time it is much more quicker Laughing

Exclamation recheck all 6 rear cross member mounting bolts tightening quickly after usage. After one day of offroading (rocks, riverbed) two were loose! And I warranty that I have more than well tightened all of them in the first place. Another improvement here would be to provide torque guidelines in the instruction.

All in all I am very satisfied with the product, so far.

PRO
- Incredible customer support from ORE
- Well manufactured, good looking piece of engineering
- Pretty much easy to fit, and no drilling
- Price compared to other similar product (while not cheap)
- Looks nice on the car

CON
- None so far, will see by usage how the coating resists, and if those bolts remain tightened

Last edited by lolo on 19th Oct 2021 9:30pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #926275 18th Oct 2021 9:16pm
chrismack85

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 PU Belize Green
Chris here from ORE

Glad your happy with the product, quality and and unparalleled out of hours support

Pls can you email us so we can discuss why you changed the M6 linkage as this should not be an issue circa 10mm either side
Also 5mm either side would need around 400kg of force (if not more, to force those threads to fail)!

We worked with a local university to calculate the max dynamic loading for all critical structural design constraints to assertion the points of failure and then applied a safety factor of at least 50% (standard practice for automotive components) to ensure this product was safe and well designed!

We look forward to your email - info@ore4x4.co.uk

I don’t often come on here so pls contact via email to arrange a suitable time to call… happy to call out of hours to suit time zone.

BR
Chris
Post #926428 19th Oct 2021 8:28pm
lolo

Talk with Chris @ ORE this evening (again out of office hours customer support Thumbs Up ) about this linkage bolt. I am not an engineer but Chris is! The provided 45mm bolt is perfectly ok, no issue with the product. Again an incredible customer orientation. Thanks for that Chris.
Post #926434 19th Oct 2021 9:38pm
lolo

Wide angle stainless steel second row side door stay brackets

I've fitted those wide angle rear door brackets from Nakatanenga today.

Easy job. No worries with the nuts as they are captive. But take care not damaging the B pillar while adjusting the bracket as the door might open too wide and hit it.

Click image to enlarge

Not the cheapest, but at least they ship to Switzerland.

Before

Click image to enlarge

After

Click image to enlarge

It makes an appreciable difference! I guess interior housekeeping will also Wink
Post #926441 19th Oct 2021 10:42pm
lolo

Front seat rails extension

I've found cheap used front seat rails extension such as those

Click image to enlarge

Easy fitting. I had to remove one bolt behind the right one (arrow below). I also get rid of all OE washers.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

In term of design/look, let's say it's minimalistic and functionnal. Seat base tilt remains pretty much the same. As original bolts are (extra) long enough, this tilt can be adjusted by adding washers on the back.

Not particulary impacted by seat height raised by about 3cm, but those additional centimeters to position the seat further back are very appreciable, much more comfortable for me. I am 5.11.
Post #926539 20th Oct 2021 7:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 9 123456789>