↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Building a dream…or an Ophelia.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Terryt

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So after four and a half hours and the best ouch we could find they had repaired the issues ..
And in the beautiful sunshine we left the new forest for Cornwall .
The next day it was raining nothing heavy just Cornish drizzle.
So we thought we would pop the roof and check it after all they apparently had water tested it .
Went back out after ten minutes and we had more water inside than out …
Post #922757 25th Sep 2021 2:32pm
corgi1

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
not a happy thread, but a very interesting one, please keep us upto date and i hope they sort out that really shoddy job for you
Post #922871 26th Sep 2021 4:54pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Really sorry to hear this as Dormobile has had a good reputation in the past - but as you have showed, all things change.
It is an expensive purchase on the top of the vehicle price and once done cannot be set back and that is the annoying thing.
our previous 110 had Dormobile lower half with dormatic seats, cooker unit water tank and wardrobe. the quality was very good for those items but we kept the original roof as we needed to carry canoes etc and the dormobile roof setup wouldn't work for us
We have a pop top fitted to our present 110 and, like you, I spent a long time looking at just about every type of top on the world market before settling on the one we now have. However you never know what you have till you actually own it - and we are truly over the moon with our X-Vision-X top

But, like you, I would be very disgruntled if I had spent that money and the fabric leaked, the fitting shoddy and holes in the material. Big Cry

Hope you get some results in getting these issues fixed and please keep us updated.

(We are just up the road from you in N Cornwall so yell if you want to meet up some time Thumbs Up ) Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #922875 26th Sep 2021 5:35pm
Terryt

United Kingdom 
corgi1 wrote:
not a happy thread, but a very interesting one, please keep us upto date and i hope they sort out that really shoddy job for you

Will do thank you
Post #923048 27th Sep 2021 5:14pm
Terryt

United Kingdom 
wyvern wrote:
Really sorry to hear this as Dormobile has had a good reputation in the past - but as you have showed, all things change.
It is an expensive purchase on the top of the vehicle price and once done cannot be set back and that is the annoying thing.
our previous 110 had Dormobile lower half with dormatic seats, cooker unit water tank and wardrobe. the quality was very good for those items but we kept the original roof as we needed to carry canoes etc and the dormobile roof setup wouldn't work for us
We have a pop top fitted to our present 110 and, like you, I spent a long time looking at just about every type of top on the world market before settling on the one we now have. However you never know what you have till you actually own it - and we are truly over the moon with our X-Vision-X top

But, like you, I would be very disgruntled if I had spent that money and the fabric leaked, the fitting shoddy and holes in the material. Big Cry

Hope you get some results in getting these issues fixed and please keep us updated.

(We are just up the road from you in N Cornwall so yell if you want to meet up some time Thumbs Up )

One of the reasons we went with them was because of the history with land rovers been watching yours looks cool and it would be great to have a catch up
Post #923049 27th Sep 2021 5:15pm
L110CDL

England 
Terryt wrote:
L110CDL wrote:
That was not good at all Terry, i hope all was put right which should have never happened in the first place Evil or Very Mad

Trust me it goes on .

I hoped that i wouldn't get a reply like that Terry, a real nightmare, really sorry for you after you did all the homework Sad

From the outside the 110 does look Cool with the set up on her now Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #923282 28th Sep 2021 9:45pm
Terryt

United Kingdom 
So we move on Dormobile agreed to pick up the Land Rover and replace the canvas having been messed about before and having our build delayed we gave them a deadline.. off she went to Hampshire again and we waited and waited , the deadline was June 6 my other half significant Birthday.
On the 5th of June the low loader arrived .
Being keen to check the build quality and having been assured it was water tested ..
Being Cornwall it rained … and much to our surprise it still leaked not to mention the amount of build crap we found rolling around the floor and more mastic than a mastic factory..

The more observant amongst you will have noticed that the canopy also changed colour to a not what we had chosen colour…
And back on the phone to dormobile followed by an email outlining the issues ….
So it continues
Post #923832 1st Oct 2021 7:55am
j17

United Kingdom 
It’s a shame about all these problems, hopefully you will get it sorted Jit

Instagram @magars_on_tour
Post #923985 1st Oct 2021 11:22pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
a couple of things Terry, number one, that's a great base to do a camper and secondly where did you find a Mrs? Procta is still looking Sad

Anyway i had to read the thread about 3 times, as i thought this was a joke. 7k and that's the quality and service they gave you?
Damage to your storage and shoddy work, then back again to be fixed etc.
Buy you lunch? Id have told them to shove that up their arse for a start and stated i am going to watch you sort this hash out, and i will be asking questions, if i feel that there is something not right.
Then to find out that its leaking again etc, i would be saying you give me my 7k right back. If not trading standards gets involved and it goes all over Facebook.
Shame some companies have a nasty habit of doing this sort of thing, care and time doesn't hurt anyone at all. lets see what they say this time and i do hope all is sorted Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #923992 2nd Oct 2021 1:45am
Terryt

United Kingdom 
Thank you for your input mate .. trust me I was absolutely furious however as was commented earlier we are at the stage where we can’t go back from what’s been done unless we ( they buy us a new roof and start again ) we took the decision that shouting and ranting wasn’t going to solve anything but a fully documented and pictorial record would be enough with a full email trail to keep for further Action .
Having gone back to dormobile and after very lengthy discussions they asked us to wait while they researched and sourced new canopy material and tested things to make sure they had a waterproof product….I mean it’s not like they haven’t been going for years ..
We decided that we could no longer wait to start the interior build as time was pressing on and we had things to do.
So we made a start on the build . First in was the front runner window.. how nervous was I a cutting a hole in her . We measured well she did that was my get out clause ( well you measured it )
And on a bright sunny day we started ..
Oh and procta have you tried Tinda …… Very Happy

Post #924007 2nd Oct 2021 8:30am
L110CDL

England 
Nice moving forward with the Front Runner window and yes i do know what it's like cutting a perfect piece of aluminium, did it twice with the side lockers. I agree that drilling the first hole for the jigsaw is the worst, so very nervous Neutral

Good plan of action with dealing with Dormobile Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #924654 5th Oct 2021 9:04pm
Terryt

United Kingdom 
So onward we go the next job was side lockers.. having become completely chilled about cutting holes in her off we went and a little photo outside the house ..

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #925033 8th Oct 2021 8:14pm
Black Puma

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Sumatra Black
Good to take the higher ground on the issues you are having. I found that approach has worked for me when faced with similar issues regarding big money and faulty products.

The other work have done yourself looks fantastic. Great project Thumbs Up
Post #925050 9th Oct 2021 2:29am
Terryt

United Kingdom 
Thank you mate ..much appreciated
Post #925055 9th Oct 2021 8:03am
Terryt

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

So on to the interior.. we had already made the decision to build the interior ourselves ( thankfully) as it’s Turing out ..
Again many hours searching and researching.. first thing was to give her a good clean find any holes and seam seal all the joints ..then sound proof and insulation.the bulkhead we decided that half a drop would be sufficient for our needs .. and for added luxury we decided on underfloor heating…

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #925059 9th Oct 2021 8:18am