↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > RAM X-Grip mount on Puma dash
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gasket

RAM X-Grip mount on Puma dash
Hi folks. I've recently bought a RAM X-grip mount and just need to buy the ball and the arm.

I'm looking at the "ram defender dashboard mount" from MUDUK - its just a ball that is mounted through one of the existing dashboard screws.

see here https://www.mudstuff.co.uk/collections/ram...oard-mount

The listing screw I'm interested in replacing is the central mount above the clock - as this mimics the factory Garmin GPS position. This is listed as one of the options on the MUD website.

Only, its the one position that I can't find any photos of - has anyone mounted a RAM mount in this position? If so have could you let me know if there is plenty of clearance for the arm and what length of arm you chose?

I'd also be curious as to how solid the mounts are in these locations - I don't know what the dash screws into - so not sure if its a plastic plugsert or a rivet on a tab, guess I'll find out.
Post #912036 12th Jul 2021 12:38pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have a feeling that that is one screw that is too close to the windscreen to be used for that purpose. Certainly I discounted it and I think that that was because I realised that it couldn't work.

There is also the little detail that any device mounted there would technically be illegal on an N1 type-approved vehicle since it would intrude into the glass area (which I understand to be illegal on goods/light goods/DP vehicles, though I have never heard anyone having problems).

I think that the top screws go into brackets on the metal support rail, as do the grab handle brackets. Those on the front face of the centre panel go into plastic nut thingies and are not particularly strong.
Post #912041 12th Jul 2021 1:25pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
The grab handle and clock assembly bolts into the metal bar which runs across the entire dash area.

Click image to enlarge

These are the only 4 points that the plastic dash attaches to this bar, the rest of the fixings are capture type receiver plates with strategic tabs and not really designed for any load on them.

Click image to enlarge

Nothing stopping you removing the dash and fixing a plate to the bulkhead, however you have a lot going on behind there with the wiper set up

The reason the RAM mount for attaching to the grab handle area is at that location is because that's the point in which the weight can be held safely.
Post #912045 12th Jul 2021 1:55pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
blackwolf wrote:
I have a feeling that that is one screw that is too close to the windscreen to be used for that purpose. Certainly I discounted it and I think that that was because I realised that it couldn't work.

There is also the little detail that any device mounted there would technically be illegal on an N1 type-approved vehicle since it would intrude into the glass area (which I understand to be illegal on goods/light goods/DP vehicles, though I have never heard anyone having problems).

I think that the top screws go into brackets on the metal support rail, as do the grab handle brackets. Those on the front face of the centre panel go into plastic nut thingies and are not particularly strong.

I can confirm that there is Censored all room there having had the dash out over the weekend. Not sure you would fit all the necessary hardware there in between bolt and the window. The grab handle bolts going into the metal support rail, as do the two either side of the steering wheel but as you say, the rest go into the blue plastic receiver things.
Post #912063 12th Jul 2021 5:31pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If it is of any interest, I currently have RAM balls fitted to the grab handle fixing screw nearest the centre of the vehicle (used for a 10" tablet running Memory Map), both of the heater panel lower fixing screws (one for smartphone, one for a reversing camera screen), the former rear view mirror mount (I don't have an interior mirror, and the ball mount is not currently in use), and the front mount of the passenger seat runner nearest the vehicle centre line (screen for a reversing camera on the rear of my big IW trailer).

So in total at the moment I have five RAM balls fitted, four of them in use. That's a whole load of balls!
Post #912070 12th Jul 2021 6:10pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
I've just got a regular suction mount in that area and it works fine. I probably have to reattach it twice a year? Something like that, it's not particularly significant.

I used to have it on the right of the steering wheel however had phone overheating issues and was concerned about it falling out the window. In the middle it's got the vent blowing on it and it's unlikely to fall out!
Post #912696 16th Jul 2021 3:21pm
Gasket

Thanks very much guys - I'll keep having a poke around and may have a punt by buying one to see where i seems most at home.
Post #913282 20th Jul 2021 6:51pm
siglo

Kuwait 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
I used the LR sat nav mount for a while to mount a heavy garmin unit on it. It broke, twice, so I mounted a RAM mount on it and I am happy with the results. The LR mount comes with a metal plate that you install underneath the dash with adhesive tape and the mount screws into it. It it quite sturdy and has been working fine for me with no issues.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #913556 22nd Jul 2021 10:19am
Gasket

Hi all.

I took a chance and ordered a MUD RAM mount. It does actually fit in that middle front screwhole with plenty of space between it and the screen. The issue is that it fits too well and sits quite low - loo low to get an arm on it I think (I have the ram x-grip and now the MUD mount, but haven't got an arm yet to try).

I suspect I'll need to machine a collar in order to space it sufficiently out of the recess in the Puma dashboard to make it usable, but will report back
Post #914042 26th Jul 2021 1:58am
BogMonster

Falkland Islands 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I've got a few different RAM mounts primarily for phones as a cheapo Halfords style mobile phone holder is completely inadequate on rough roads here.

I fitted the screw-in balls in both the 300 and the Puma into the specified locations on top of the dash, but they are actually not that rigid in either vehicle as what they screw into is not solid, and I also found that it meant the phone wasn't quite where I wanted it.

I've ended up settling on using the RAM suction mounts onto the windscreen which are much better (and of course will fit anything at all and can be located exactly where you want them). ---
2006 Defender 110 SW 300Tdi • 2011 Ford Ranger XLT crewcab • 2015 Defender 110 Station Wagon Utility TDCi
Post #914218 27th Jul 2021 9:06am
Ngala

Gasket wrote:
Hi all.

I took a chance and ordered a MUD RAM mount. It does actually fit in that middle front screwhole with plenty of space between it and the screen. The issue is that it fits too well and sits quite low - loo low to get an arm on it I think (I have the ram x-grip and now the MUD mount, but haven't got an arm yet to try).

I suspect I'll need to machine a collar in order to space it sufficiently out of the recess in the Puma dashboard to make it usable, but will report back

Gasket, I am trying to do the same thing. What did you end up doing?
I am hoping to use the center dash screw at the windshield.

Cheers
Post #956264 22nd Jun 2022 9:10pm
Gasket

Hi - I didn't fit it in the end.

I tried the mount in the position described above and it looked and fitted fantastic. Its as if Land Rover intended a RAM ball to be fitted there.

But... as others had forecasted, the mount is simply a plasic plug and I wasn't satisfied with it being sturdy enough to securely hold my phone on the end of an arm. So I scrapped the RAM plan.

Instead, I simply bought:

1) a Brodit Pro Clip https://www.brodit.co.uk/brodit/vehicles/L...654077.htm

and 2) a Scosche magnetic XL kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scosche-magicMOUN...B074K9VXV6

Stuck them together and voila! an absolutely rock solid phone mount, perfectly positioned.

In fairness, it isn't my idea: in the US the Brodit proclips are often sold with Scosche mounts.
Post #957606 7th Jul 2022 5:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1