↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Battery woes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Battery woes
After a stint of working overseas for a couple months i return to my garage and sadly found my battery entirely flat courtesy of the dashcam and several days of recording "Incidents" that is to say a spider in a web vibrating in front of it.

Is it worth buying a charger or buying an entirely new battery?

Battery is entirely discharged because ignition won't even blink. I know some batteries are different about being resurrected from entirely flat.

ECP are selling Bosch S3 640s for £170 and last time i used halfords they sold me a battery that wouldn't fit in the seat box.

Would appreciate your thoughts. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #956926 30th Jun 2022 6:45pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
A CTEK MXS would be worth a try. It has a reconditioning mode and you could use it next time you're away to keep the battery charged and make more Spidey videos Laughing
Post #956931 30th Jun 2022 8:17pm
The Zee

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
If the battery is less than 4 years old, then a CTEK MXS 5 or 10 might be able to resurect/revive it.
But it may have been "damaged" due to the deep discharge.

When my orginal battery died a few years back, I replaced with a VARTA G14 AGM from Tayna Batteries (https://www.tayna.co.uk/) But you may need a diffrent size since yours is a TD5 (069 size?)

I found Tayna really good, they shiped the battery direct to me DHL, and it was ready to install.

Good luck Zaid-M
www.DefencePhotos.com
2014 Defender 110 Utility, 2.2 Puma, Indus Silver
Not just transport more like a religion
Post #956940 30th Jun 2022 9:20pm
Bradders130

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Indus Silver
How old is the battery? If it’s over 3 or 4 years then I would think about getting a new one. Lead acid batteries don’t like dropping that low with 6 or 7 volts around the limit. If it’s dropped down to zero volts I suspect that it probably won’t take a charge now. I would check the voltage and see what it’s at and then as Macfranc has suggested, get a CTEK and see if it can work some magic. The CTEK is a good investment anyway as you can leave it connected next time you go away.
The battery on my VW Transporter dropped to 7.3v last week and it just about came back ok, but it was touch and go and won’t hold 12v for long I think.
Post #956942 30th Jun 2022 9:29pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
If you are looking for a new battery I would say a Varta LED95. see my posts at the end of page 3 of this topic https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic16605...p;start=30.

Edit- This is for a Puma... just looked at your truck and it’s not a Puma so may not be a correct fit for you. However I would still look at a dual purpose leisure battery as its performs better when truck not being used for long periods.

Ps Using a ctek MXS 5 or 7 as a trickle charger whichever battery you go for is the best solution if vehicle left for long periods between use and in a garage.
Post #956943 30th Jun 2022 9:36pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I had my battery drop like that I bought this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VB3...&psc=1
It’s not a fast charger but I’ve been impressed and has revived my battery in full.

It’s not super expensive and no frills, but I’ve been happy with it.

Your battery should be okay - if not then you’ll at least be able to cheaply buy yourself time to get another if you need one. You might find you won’t need one.

The issue may be that it won’t hold charge as long as it did, but just once might be okay at least for now.

Defender batteries are quite big capacity so charging takes time, I prefer slow trickle charging. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #956948 30th Jun 2022 10:07pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
My digital battery charger could not charge a completely flat battery. The electronics were not seeing that a battery was connected! So had to kick start the charging process by an old transformer type charger. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #956956 1st Jul 2022 4:32am
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
I bought a CTEK CT5 from lidl last week. £29.99
Post #956958 1st Jul 2022 5:51am
carpetsauce

United Kingdom 
If you can get/borrow a second battery that’s charged, connect it in parallel with your dead battery and leave them for an hour, with the charger on the dead battery. The good one will discharge into the flat one and allow the charger to begin to function. Your previously “dead” should then have sufficient charge to start your car.
Post #956963 1st Jul 2022 7:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1