↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > Could Land Rover have built the Grenadier?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Mike_E

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Aintree Green
i really hope so!! the G300 professionals were cracking good cars.
Post #918656 25th Aug 2021 11:29am
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/4x4oty...ofessional

Want 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #918661 25th Aug 2021 12:05pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Probably still out of my price range but it would make a lot of sense. Not everyone (including me) wants a Grand Designs interior and all the bling. There must be a reasonably sized market for a utility based version.
Post #918714 25th Aug 2021 7:09pm
GSDChauffeur

Germany 
My thoughts also. I am very curious how it will be priced in comparison to the Grenadier though. Also where it will be built (theres seems to be minimum 1 year waiting time for Gs built at Magna). And I wonder if they were triggered by the Grenadiers competition. I find this development highly interesting.

Another thought: if it is higher priced than the Grenadier, then the financing could be “subsidised” (interest rates beneath market average) by Mercedes own bank. I wonder how Ineos will handle financing.
Post #918746 26th Aug 2021 6:25am
spudfan

Ireland 
The photo of it going up hill shows it to have a dinge on the left side of the door window. I now dings and dents eventually come with this type of vehicle but that first one is always the one that hurts!
Land Rover exit the sector and Ineos and Mercedes gear up for it....... Whistle 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #918886 27th Aug 2021 6:25pm
ChasingOurTrunks

familymad wrote:
https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/4x4oty/4x4-of-the-year-2018-5-mercedes-benz-g300-professional

Want

Thanks for posting that article -- this jumped out to me:

Quote:
Don’t be fooled by the Professional tag, as this isn’t a G-Wagen pitched at ‘professionals’ as we know them, but rather it’s a $55K less expensive, stripped-out commercial version of the $165K G350. Another way to look at it is as a civilian version of the G-Wagens supplied to the ADF, and hence a back-to-basics vehicle.

That puts the Merc at about $80k USD/$69k Euro, which if its starting it's pricing there, that's a good chunk higher than where Ineos is aiming (which if I recall is sub-$50k Euro?). That $20k difference is not insignificant, and if Mercedes in Europe/Australia act the same as they do here in North America, the options get pricey fast.

"I'd like heated seats" you say. So the dealer says "No problem we can add that, that's an easy $5k option". And if you don't flinch at that, he says "per seat". And if you still don't flinch, he says "Plus, of course, installation fees".

(That's a bit of a tongue-in-cheek exaggeration but the point is, as options are added the price is likely to get very high).

On the other hand, I'm not sure how the commercial G-wagen will compare to the Ineos -- like what are the default features? Does either vehicle come with front and rear lockers as standard? Winch-capable bumpers? etc. We know some of this stuff for both vehicles, but if the Merc comes with lockers, bumpers, etc. at it's "entry level" price, but the Gren has those as options, the $20k may not be that big of a gap after all.

It's a bit academic for me since the professional G isn't available here and won't be, but it's interesting to me all the same.
Post #918895 27th Aug 2021 8:07pm
Mike_E

worth noting that euro cars in Aus are very expensive compared to here in Europe. They used to have a "luxury car tax" applied to imported premium vehicles but that is now gone. that said they are still expensive but japanese cars are cheaper than here in Europe. I'd be wary at trying to do too many conversions on price.

In the UK the new Toyota Yaris GR sells for the same price as you can get a BMW M135i... in Aus the BMW is about 30% mroe expensive than the Yaris.

fingers cross the G300 is actually makign a comeback (find it hard to believe but I live in hope) and also that its a decent price.

Cheers
Mike
Post #919110 29th Aug 2021 5:24pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Mike_E wrote:
i really hope so!! the G300 professionals were cracking good cars.

I'll keep my hands in my pockets until this one hits the open market...

M25 Friday night special:

Post #919116 29th Aug 2021 5:55pm
ChasingOurTrunks

Mike_E wrote:
worth noting that euro cars in Aus are very expensive compared to here in Europe. They used to have a "luxury car tax" applied to imported premium vehicles but that is now gone. that said they are still expensive but japanese cars are cheaper than here in Europe. I'd be wary at trying to do too many conversions on price.

In the UK the new Toyota Yaris GR sells for the same price as you can get a BMW M135i... in Aus the BMW is about 30% mroe expensive than the Yaris.

fingers cross the G300 is actually makign a comeback (find it hard to believe but I live in hope) and also that its a decent price.

Cheers
Mike

Thanks Mike! I didn’t realize that context. I will reserve judgement until we see some actual same-market retail prices for these things!
Post #919138 29th Aug 2021 9:50pm
zilch

Australia 
Mike_E wrote:
worth noting that euro cars in Aus are very expensive compared to here in Europe. They used to have a "luxury car tax" applied to imported premium vehicles but that is now gone.

if only Mike, it seems the Aussie government is not giving up luxury car tax (LCT) that easily as a source of revenue,
irrespective of no longer having any car manufacturing in Country Neutral I paid a hefty amount of LCT on my Defender,
and the $$ threshold comes in quite low, so assume the Grenadier being similar priced to the Defender will mean it will
attract Luxury car tax, GST (vat) and of course good old stamp duty as well ..

Click image to enlarge

and the definition of fuel efficient vehicle which the Grenadier i suspect will not meet

Click image to enlarge
 yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #919166 30th Aug 2021 8:22am
Mike_E

interesting - thanks for that. I mistakenly thought it was scrapped when both Ford and Holden were stopping production. As you say, easy money.
Post #919183 30th Aug 2021 9:17am
Supacat

GSDChauffeur wrote:
There are some rumours about Mercedes presenting a new non-luxury version of the G Wagon (G Professional) at the Munich Auto Show in September.

I wonder if this was triggered by the competition of the Grenadier or if this was long planned.

Just reading this, and wonder if this is extra or what you were talking about?

"For those EV buyers who need something altogether more rugged, Benz will also pull the drapes off a concept for a battery-powered EQG version of the G-Class that will preview a production model scheduled to make its debut in 2024.

We'll have to wait until the show to see if engineers have adapted the current G-Class's ladder-frame underpinnings to package the batteries or started from scratch and used Mercedes’ dedicated EVA platform for EVs; regardless, expect its blocky looks to live on in the electric age."

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/355499/...21-preview
Post #919211 30th Aug 2021 1:09pm
GSDChauffeur

Germany 
No, what I talked about was extra. My source - usually very reliable and well informed - has withdrawn the information on their blog though. Not sure what that means yet…

Edit: according to them, the model will still be shown in Munich.
Post #919254 30th Aug 2021 7:52pm
Supacat

Merc readies G-Class for EV age with battery-powered concept
Two things stand out for me with this press release and beg the question could Landrover have built this new version of the G class?

Click image to enlarge

"The Concept EQG retains the ladder frame chassis of the G-Class combustion engine model and packages the batteries within the platform

Munich Auto Show
September 05, 2021 01:17 PM

The Concept EQG's four electric motors are positioned near each wheel to allow individual control and deliver what Mercedes describes as unique driving characteristics both on- and off-road.

Mercedes plans a full-electric version of the G-Class in a move that keeps the brand's long-running off-roader relevant as automakers expand their EV lineups.

Mercedes said the Concept EQG is a "near production" concept that previews a future model.

The Concept EQG was unveiled during an online presentation on Sunday ahead of its public debut at this month's IAA Munich auto show.

The Concept EQG "offers a promising preview of what a Mercedes G-Class with battery-electric drive will be capable of," the company said in a statement.

The concept retains the ladder frame chassis of the G-Class combustion engine model and packages the batteries within the platform. No battery size or range figures were given.

The concept's four electric motors are positioned near each wheel to allow individual control and deliver what Mercedes describes as unique driving characteristics both on- and off-road.

A two-speed transmission allows for the same low-range gear reduction for slow-speed off-roading available on its combustion models.

The G-Class was redesigned and re-engineered in 2018 that overhauled the structure but kept the look of the original off-roader first introduced in 1979.

The Concept EQG keeps the angular looks of the combustion SUV but has been given an electric makeover to differentiate it.

The grille has been blanked off with a so-called "Black Panel" with an illuminated Mercedes badge at its center and a light band around the edge.

The grille also features animated "round squares" in the signature blue of Mercedes' EQ electric models.

The rear wheel has been removed and replaced with a lockable box that recalls the design of a wallbox charger. Mercedes suggests the charging cable could be kept there.

Up top is a flat roofrack with a white LED strip along the front edge that Mercedes says updates the searchlights of more work-a-day off-roaders. Illuminated stripes mark out protective strips around the body.

"For us, the most important thing was to keep the full G-Class DNA but beam it into the EQ age," Daimler head of design Gordon Wagener said in a statement.

Ola Kallenius, CEO of Mercedes parent Daimler, first promised an electric G-Class in July this year at a congress held by Automotive News Europe sister publication Automobilwoche.

He told the congress that the future of the luxury off-roader was assured, despite its niche appeal.

"In the past there were discussions whether we should eliminate the model. The way I see things now, I would say the last Mercedes to be built will be a G-Class," Kallenius said.

Daimler plans to bundle Mercedes' upmarket AMG, Maybach and G-Class brands into a single group to better exploit their high-profit opportunities.

https://europe.autonews.com/munich-auto-sh...ed-concept

Post #920157 6th Sep 2021 6:32am
GSDChauffeur

Germany 
GSDChauffeur wrote:
There are some rumours about Mercedes presenting a new non-luxury version of the G Wagon (G Professional) at the Munich Auto Show in September.

I wonder if this was triggered by the competition of the Grenadier or if this was long planned.

I am quite disappointed about the actual reveal today. It’s only an exterior option and not a real G Professional… I guess the Grenadier will not receive any competition in his price range.

https://media.daimler.com/marsMediaSite/en...00ODM2MjU4

EQG sure looks promising, but we can also expect it to be extremely expensive. Could JLR have built it? Vehicle development is extremely expensive. I don’t know JLRs exact financial situation. Even the largest manufacturers struggle to finance the development of a larger number of EVs. So the answer might be: technically yes, financially no.
Post #920181 6th Sep 2021 9:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>