Home > Maintenance & Modifications > R380 gearbox oil cooler adapter -
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
itolond

Singapore 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
R380 gearbox oil cooler adapter -
Hi Forum,
fitting an R380 gearbox oil cooler adapter - already have 15" finned dual pass unit fitted to the front of the vehicle (w 1/4" connectors)

few questions around this:

seeking to use braided hose with fittings -an guides on hose size (e.g. AN Cool and type?
anyone know where i can get connectors for AN8 to the adaptor ( I beleive M20x1.5)

Thermostat options - or not needed?

Click image to enlarge
Post #779980 3rd Jul 2019 2:36am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
The military R380 cooler uses solid pipes, with just hoses at the cooler end.

There is also a "thermostat" adaptor which fits where your pipe adaptor goes; just has a spade terminal on it to illuminate a light on the dash... I've got one here (and a full cooler kit, just never got around to trying to make it fit around the Td5 engine)
Post #780001 3rd Jul 2019 9:31am
itolond

Singapore 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
have any pics?
Post #780009 3rd Jul 2019 11:08am
oneten110

United Kingdom 
Post #780048 3rd Jul 2019 6:18pm
dorsetsmith

Post #780055 3rd Jul 2019 7:09pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Think you will struggle to get the correct type of fittings to put AN fittings straight into the outlets of the R380 cooler outlets as they are o-ring sealed. You want to search for power steering type fittings though as these generally use a similar style of fitting. All the AN fittings we used on our V8 build came from Torques UK.

For the cooler we just used the ends of the solid pipes from the donor 90 and hardline fittings:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #780097 4th Jul 2019 8:06am
diesel_jim

dorsetsmith wrote:
itolond wrote:
have any pics?

https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/30261-external-cooling-to-a-lt77/

HAH! I just took a load of pictures of the pipe fittings.... I'd forgotten all about that post on LR4X4

saves me re-doing it. Thanks
Post #780480 7th Jul 2019 12:37pm
MalteseRover

Malta 
Hello,

Unearthing this thread. I do have an adaptor plate for the R380 and also got a range rover power steering cooler (it is 50cm long) and it is a straight pipe with fins (like series 2.25 oil coolers) will it be enough for the gearbox? I reckon regular hydraulic metal tubing will be fine? I think there is not need for high pressure fittings just a hoses with clips. (I am reading about how to preventing and signalling pressure loss)

hopefully i get about to installing it since Malta is quite hot at the moment, 40'c temps and the td5 is remapped too working hard on trailer duties.

Kind Regards
Joseph.
Post #911000 6th Jul 2021 3:52pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Re: R380 gearbox oil cooler adapter -
itolond wrote:
Hi Forum,
fitting an R380 gearbox oil cooler adapter - already have 15" finned dual pass unit fitted to the front of the vehicle (w 1/4" connectors)

few questions around this:

seeking to use braided hose with fittings -an guides on hose size (e.g. AN Cool and type?
anyone know where i can get connectors for AN8 to the adaptor ( I beleive M20x1.5)

Thermostat options - or not needed?

Click image to enlarge

Hello. I did this very thing last year, I will dig out the parts list and photos for you. Thumbs Up
Post #911004 6th Jul 2021 4:27pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
So here is what I did to retro-fit the R380 gearbox cooler thermostat housing. My Defender, being a UK spec model did not come with an oil cooler for the R380, probably because temperatures in the UK do not often get hot enough... right...!? Fast forward a number of years and the gearbox chucked out it's 5th gear and layshaft. Heavy duty bearings my arse... Rolling Eyes

So I had Miffy transported home on the back of a flatbed and as we had just gone in to the first of the UK's lockdown periods I decided to strip and rebuild the gearbox myself. Quite an experience and well worth doing. The thing that I noticed was that the internals of the gearbox were black, and the oil was not a pretty colour neither. This was the point at which I thought since I am rebuilding this gearbox I may as well do what I can to protect it. It took a while to figure it out but these are the parts I sourced for the job;

Single pass alloy oil cooler
    Gearbox thermostat adapter FTC2687
    x2 Male AN8 to M20x1.5 adapter
    x2 M20 Dowty washers
    x4 AN8 (female) to hose
    2x 90 deg 3/8" NPT to AN8 (male) adapter
    2x 90 deg AN8 (female) to AN8 (male) adapter
    AN8 braided hose
    Selection of rivnuts, bolts and washers
    Old Defender foot pedal rubber

The reason I went for the Land Rover adapter over the Ashcroft one is that it includes a thermostatic valve which here in the UK would probably be best, or at least that is my view. I went for the solid alloy cooler over a radiator style cooler because it is more robust. I would have loved a double pass alloy cooler but alas they are hard to come by.

The only adaptation I had to do was remove about 1/3 of the M20 thread off the AN8 to M20 adapter then it fits perfectly in to the FTC2687 adapter. After that it is just a case of situating the cooler and running pipes to it. I chose to situate the cooler under the nearside footwell panel as it is safe and out of the way of mud slinging etc. If I feel the cooler is not getting enough airflow i will move it to another more exposed position. I did think behind the steering guard under the bumper as a second choice.

Ten months on and it is working perfectly. On a normal easy drive around home and to the shops the thermostat does not open and the cooler remains cool. But when the vehicle is heavily laden and/or on a long haul (motorways etc.) the thermostat definitely opens and the cooler gets hot to the touch.

Was it worth the effort...? Time will tell... Rolling Eyes All I know is that here in the UK the R380 mated to a Defender 110 TD5 with a remap and on 33" tyres definitely gets hot enough to warrant the addition of the cooler.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #911052 6th Jul 2021 8:27pm
diesel_jim

Nice. Wish my gearbox was that clean.... it and the t/box leak a lot (and the rear crank seal) so everything is plastered! Laughing Rolling Eyes
Post #911059 6th Jul 2021 8:54pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quote:
Nice. Wish my gearbox was that clean.... it and the t/box leak a lot (and the rear crank seal) so everything is plastered! Laughing Rolling Eyes

Ha yes it was quite the cathartic cleaning activity Rolling with laughter At least yours won't rust as quickly as mine Rolling Eyes
Post #911106 7th Jul 2021 9:22am
MalteseRover

Malta 
Hi
What kind of connections did you use on the adaptor block? The land rover system uses stop tube beading and O ring connections. It looks like you have sealing washers/rings on the face of the adaptor. Is it safe to go about it that way?

cheers
Joseph
Post #911142 7th Jul 2021 10:58am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quote:
Hi
What kind of connections did you use on the adaptor block? The land rover system uses stop tube beading and O ring connections. It looks like you have sealing washers/rings on the face of the adaptor. Is it safe to go about it that way?

cheers
Joseph

Hi Joseph. I used AN style connectors, same ones used on many modified and race vehicles for plumbing fluids. The AN8 to M20 adapter had a good flat vertical edge for the dowty washer to seal against, plus a high quality thread seal/lock and so far (10 months and many 1000s of miles covered) there is no sign of oil defeating the seals. I hope that helps.

These style connectors - https://www.speedflowshop.co.uk
Post #911148 7th Jul 2021 11:43am
tommobot

United Kingdom 
I never knew that the oiler cooler adapter was thermostatic....

Does this mean when you fill from cold, its not open into the cooler?

How did you go about fiilling the oiler cooler etc...?
Post #911202 7th Jul 2021 1:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>