↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > R380 gearbox oil cooler adapter -
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I only have a small cooler but it is enough to reduce the oil temp by 10 degrees or so on a long hot run. A front mounted cooler would work better for certain, but here in Wales the side mounted (underneath the passenger footwell) cooler works just fine. I fitted the thermostatic version of the gearbox adapter so only effects the oil temp when up to temperature.

The real difference is seen when you do an oil change, it used to come out dark and smelling burnt, but now it comes out clearer and doesn't. Surely must be a good thing Rolling Eyes

Now I no longer have AC I do have the space for a front mounted cooler, so if Miffy is required to spend time in hotter climes I will extend to the front like LR did.
Post #1005892 30th Aug 2023 11:01am
Steve_overland

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Chawton White
Hi All,

Loving this thread, have purchased military oil cooler part that fits on the side of the box...Stripped it and was surprised at how clean the wax peg system was and it works, as I had taken the retainer of the cap and then poured boiling water on it and it fired the cap out. so all new washers coming for this....

I am going to sort an oil cooler and all the fittings but have a question does a standard m20 x 1.5 fitting fit in the bit I have already, with the right o rings, or do I need something else....

My second question is does the pipe work need to be metal braided or will a plastic pipe be ok....

Cheers in advance for the help.... @steve_overland on Insta.
110 expedition vehicle with pop roof
Post #1005961 30th Aug 2023 9:18pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi Steve. This is the route I took (see page one of this thread) and like you I was thrilled when the wax plunge worked as it should do. IMHO the this thermostatic adapter is the way to go if you live in the UK given our annual temperature range.

As for the M20x1.5 thread, yes this is what the adapter uses. I used a set of AN fittings and IIRC I had to trim down the depth of the AN fitting a little so it tightened up nicely. I also used son thread sealer and a downy washer to make sure there were no leaks. All is still working perfectly after 3 years of use.

The pipework does not need to be metal, but it does need to be oil compatible. I used the braided rubber hose commonly used with AN fittings as I like the abrasion resistance of it.
Post #1005982 31st Aug 2023 8:43am
Steve_overland

That’s awesome thank you…. Will get cracking on with this now … I agree the thermo ones are the way forward as old at wrong temp can cause wear to hot or cold.

Thank you for your help 👍👍👍

Click image to enlarge
 @steve_overland on Insta.
Post #1005987 31st Aug 2023 8:48am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Welcome Steve. Love a white Defender Thumbs Up
Post #1005989 31st Aug 2023 9:00am
htb2

Scotland 
If anyone after an adaptor, I have one from an R380 D1, £75 inc postage to UK mainland
Post #1005995 31st Aug 2023 9:58am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Just seen this if any of you are interested https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266045555310?ha...ondition=4
Post #1010100 5th Oct 2023 8:29am
Steve_overland

geobloke wrote:
Hi Steve. This is the route I took (see page one of this thread) and like you I was thrilled when the wax plunge worked as it should do. IMHO the this thermostatic adapter is the way to go if you live in the UK given our annual temperature range.

As for the M20x1.5 thread, yes this is what the adapter uses. I used a set of AN fittings and IIRC I had to trim down the depth of the AN fitting a little so it tightened up nicely. I also used son thread sealer and a downy washer to make sure there were no leaks. All is still working perfectly after 3 years of use.

The pipework does not need to be metal, but it does need to be oil compatible. I used the braided rubber hose commonly used with AN fittings as I like the abrasion resistance of it.

Could I ask where you got your finned cooler from as want to fit similar but can only find one with 1/4 not fittings on it... or do you think they would work... @steve_overland on Insta.
Post #1026411 29th Feb 2024 9:34pm
Steve_overland

think have found it..... is this the one you used.... they also do a dual pass with 1/4 npt.. do you think this would also work or are the fittings too small?

https://www.speedingparts.co.uk/p/fuelsyst...html?_gl=1*93dtu7*_up*MQ..&gclid=Cj0KCQjwla-hBhD7ARIsAM9tQKvAbI7Tnitn5ivWY3fr5YdezHqXuzPCgzNPT2pxx7lrH5EiZbET_Z4aAjPWEALw_wcB @steve_overland on Insta.
Post #1026414 29th Feb 2024 10:07pm
Steve_overland

hi all in reference my last post ... does anyone see any problems with the 1/4 not dual pass?? @steve_overland on Insta.
Post #1026993 6th Mar 2024 9:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234