↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Steering guard vs. protection bar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
roel wrote:
... I don't see a point on a defender. They won't protect your track-rod and that is the one what bends mostly.

I have nothing fitted. ...

If I am honest, I spent years poo-pooing them on Defenders since I have (sofar) never bent any steering components on any of my Landrovers, and that is in many years of use both on- and off-road. They can also cause problems if you are trying to reverse out of a stuck situation since they do tend to act like a scraper blade and fill the radiator and engine compartment with mud.

The main reason I fitted mine was because I wanted a front receiver hitch compatible with my winch bumper, and it was the easiest way to achieve this result.

I would still contend that a good and professional approach to driving will prevent damage to the steering gear in 90% of the situations when it may occur, and that in 5 of the remaining percent the damage will happen whether or not you have a guard. I'm not saying they can't help, but I don't think they help much and feel that they are largely cosmetic, unless of course you need a front receiver.
Post #906733 7th Jun 2021 8:47am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Surely the point of all of this sort of stuff is just an insurance policy? Whilst you could go many years without needing it, there might come a day when something unexpected happens when you do and you'll be grateful for it. It's a bit like those people who say they don't bother carrying a spare tyre because they've never had a puncture in 30 years, when the length of time is irrelevant as to whether there's a nail on the next bit of road they drive on.

In my experience, they come into their own when driving particularly rocky terrain, which obviously isn't so common in the UK. Having said that though, only yesterday I was watching a bit of video of a Land Rover somewhere in the Lake District struggling to get off a lane with its' front wheels pointing in different directions. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #906742 7th Jun 2021 9:17am
lakelander

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Orkney Grey
Ramsay wrote:
lakelander wrote:
Great - thanks for the shots. Could I ask a favour - please can you tell me the width of those fiitted.

Now just a decision of fitting those or going for a steering guard with built in recovery points.Steel or alloy ?
Are alloy ones capable of sustaining a knock? Won't they just dent? Like the idea of a strengthening bar inside the hollow NRC7009.

I have measured them. Seem to be 88mm on the insides. Difficult to tell exactly without removing them.

Thanks!
Post #906744 7th Jun 2021 9:19am
lakelander

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
I've never been convinced by aluminium steering guards. To be effective they need to be a lot thicker (typically 10mm v 6mm for steel) and as the brackets are still steel anyway, the weight saving is negligible. You can buy lighter ones - I've seen some with 6mm steel brackets and 6mm ali guards but they seem far too flimsy to me.

I do like guards with built in recovery points though - effectively two birds with one stone. Mines a steel galvanised one and is very sturdy:

Click image to enlarge
[img][/img]

Looks good and sturdy what brand is it ?
Post #906745 7th Jun 2021 9:22am
LandRoverAnorak

It's a First Four Off Road one although unfortunately they've recently closed due to retirement. However, there's a very similar one available from Paddocks:

https://www.paddockspares.com/pm1143-heavy...-eyes.html Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #906755 7th Jun 2021 10:02am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The Paddock one appears to be the Safari Equip (non-receiver) guard, essentially what I have on mine (except I have the receiver version) and if so I can highly recommend it, it is very substantial.

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Surely the point of all of this sort of stuff is just an insurance policy? Whilst you could go many years without needing it, there might come a day when something unexpected happens when you do and you'll be grateful for it. It's a bit like those people who say they don't bother carrying a spare tyre because they've never had a puncture in 30 years, when the length of time is irrelevant as to whether there's a nail on the next bit of road they drive on.

In my experience, they come into their own when driving particularly rocky terrain, which obviously isn't so common in the UK. Having said that though, only yesterday I was watching a bit of video of a Land Rover somewhere in the Lake District struggling to get off a lane with its' front wheels pointing in different directions.

I completely agree, it is, like so much of what we do, a very personal choice. You could fit one and never need it (a bit like a fire extinguisher), or fit one and the next day it saves you from an expensive repair, or even results in an expensive repair.

As far as the OP's question is concerned, I don't think that the genuine Landrover "twiglet" is likely to achieve much in any situation however.
Post #906759 7th Jun 2021 10:37am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
I got the aluminium one from Paddocks. Quite pleased with it, although I modified it to make it look better:

1. Replaced the bolts that mount the plate to the brackets with countersunks. Of course plate needed countersinking.
2. I chopped off a bit from the ends to make it more rectangular. The original shape is too trapezoidal (wider at the front). I cut enough to be in line with the chassis rails.
3. I added spacers between the brackets and the chassis. They do not come with the kit.
4. I painted the galvanized brackets black. Just to reduce the different shades of grey.

Have not and not yet planning to get my return on investment Laughing
Only for looks.

https://www.paddockspares.com/pm716-heavy-...ender.html 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #906762 7th Jun 2021 11:07am
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
Having had LR OE bar types and both ali and steel guards over the years I have a preference for the bar type with Jates for laning.

Although as discussed they are sacrificial if hit hard, they still do the job and can be hammered back and welded. They don't act like plough in reverse - and having been suction-glued in a trench with the plough making matters worse I have no love for this design.

You can also have unrestricted service access from beneath with a bar - that you lose with a guard.

Having bashed an ali guard I'd avoid at all costs because it case-hardens on impact and bloody hard to bend back. A steel one would makes more sense in this respect.

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
In my experience, they come into their own when driving particularly rocky terrain, which obviously isn't so common in the UK. Having said that though, only yesterday I was watching a bit of video of a Land Rover somewhere in the Lake District struggling to get off a lane with its' front wheels pointing in different directions.

We had a tie road bend on Tilburthwaite many years ago - but it wasn't due to a rock strike. The car slipped down an icy slab and the driver applied some lock in fear of going over the edge. The tie rod bent because it was already weakened - having been bent before and straightened with heat. As it landed the shock load bent it again.

Moral of the story is to replace rather than straighten steering bars.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #906839 7th Jun 2021 6:59pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
If you ever do bend one. You can use the NATO hitch to straighten it out

It’s very effective and much better than the hitting it on a tree method….. Thumbs Up
Post #906845 7th Jun 2021 7:21pm
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
Yup, accepted practice with rear x member handles used as braces!

Click image to enlarge

Relevant clip at 5:30 - 7:00 ish
https://youtu.be/d1WgFyHnEww JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #906871 7th Jun 2021 10:09pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue

Click image to enlarge

The small U shaped support is a real track-rod saver, however I have to admit I used my winch a few times to get it straight enough to drive till the end off the day. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #907316 10th Jun 2021 9:07pm
lakelander

Ramsay wrote:
lakelander wrote:
Great - thanks for the shots. Could I ask a favour - please can you tell me the width of those fiitted.

Now just a decision of fitting those or going for a steering guard with built in recovery points.Steel or alloy ?
Are alloy ones capable of sustaining a knock? Won't they just dent? Like the idea of a strengthening bar inside the hollow NRC7009.

I have measured them. Seem to be 88mm on the insides. Difficult to tell exactly without removing them.

Got some forged Jates from Overlander 4 x 4. Jaws have inside width of 90mm but they are just 5mm too narrow to go on over the bar arm!

Are they available in different jaw widths?
Post #907647 13th Jun 2021 2:00pm
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
I checked my history file.
The ones fitted are from Paddock spares. Part number PM786. The bar was fitted by a garage but the JATE rings do not seem to be modified. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #907689 13th Jun 2021 8:04pm
L90Andy

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 SW Zambezi Silver
I was thinking of fitting the oem steering protection bar with genuine jates too, but have a question; I have previously fitted jates and done the bolts up b*stard tight only to find under a robust recovery they still pulled round trapping the shackle between the chassis. After this my understanding was you leave the jates loose enough to easily rotate. However as that bolt would also be used to mount the steering bar, you'd probably want it fully torqued up. So, leave loose or tighten up? Instagram: l90andy

2006 Land Rover 90 TD5 CSW Silver Edition

My 1984 Ninety: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56071.html - SOLD!
My 2015 Defender: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39625.html - SOLD!
Post #907729 14th Jun 2021 7:51am
LandRoverAnorak

A better solution would be to fit different recovery points. Yeah, you can hang your LR from a helicopter but as practical recovery points go they're pretty rubbish. Darren

Post #907730 14th Jun 2021 7:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>