↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > OEM Rear Bumper Step - £606 fitted
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
RouseyD

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
OEM Rear Bumper Step - £606 fitted
I've got a 110 XS on order, due in March.

I asked the dealer for a quote to supply and fit the Rear Bumper Step. Price came back at £606 for supply and fit. Feels a bit expensive to me, when the LR part is available online for circa £345 inc VAT.

Looking at the threads on here, a few people have had problems with this step corroding fairly early on, so I was minded to have the dealer fit it at time of purchase to take advantage of the 3 year warranty it would have.

It looks pretty straightforward to fit myself so I may do that... but if I'm going to get my hands dirty, I'm wondering if anyone has a view on what the 'best' rear bumper / NAS step for a 110 is?

(preferably one that I don't need to drill any new holes for , and isn't prone to corrosion within a short timeframe)

Cheers, Dave
Post #303476 30th Jan 2014 6:47pm
Cuthbert

£606 fitted - seems in line with Land Rover dealer's pricing schedules. After all the rear bumper has to be carefully unwrapped from its packaging by a highly experienced technician with years of expertise in the careful alignment and fastening of parts. Each stage of the process has to be carefully mapped against an approved process that also involves a risk assessment aligned to Euro conformity standards.

Fitting a rear bumper is a task way beyond the competence or indeed understanding of anyone who has not been trained and certified to the required standards.

Just grin and pay up. If you are ordering a new Defender from an official dealership you must be stinking rich and can afford it easily - using only the small change in your pockets.

On the other hand ......
Post #303485 30th Jan 2014 7:20pm
RouseyD

Well I am feeling the financial pinch a bit, and came up a bit short at the dealer when buying the truck, so I had to borrow a fiver from my butler so I could to stretch to the XS model...

I suppose I should not have been surprised at the labour costs LR wanted to charge to fit the step - it is very clearly an operation far too technical for mere mortals.

However I don't want to buy it if it is very prone to corrosion (as a few threads here suggest).

So my question is whether the collective wisdom here thinks there are better products than the LR step bumper? And if so, what are they?

For clarity, I don't need to tow - I just need step and bumper functionality Smile
Post #303488 30th Jan 2014 7:31pm
WelshGas

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Why do you want this item?
A cheaper, and longer lasting item would be this double step, galvanised, costing about £23 combined with a proper towbar.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-Tow-b...0966226284. Probably cheaper and more corrosion resistant. Thumbs Up LANDYWATCH

Neighbourhood Watch for Land Rover Owners

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2/index.php

Last edited by WelshGas on 30th Jan 2014 8:09pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #303494 30th Jan 2014 7:56pm
RouseyD

Thanks for the link - I had come across that type - and I don't doubt you are right that that type is longer lasting and corrosion-resistant.

To answer your question though, I prefer the look of the combined bumper and step, and don't need or want a proper tow bar. Blasphemous eh?!
Post #303495 30th Jan 2014 8:00pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
fit it yourself, they take about an hour to fit, make sure you have a can of dinitrol to spray the face to face components.
Post #303500 30th Jan 2014 8:07pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Yet, supplying and fitting a raised air intake on my TD5 was just £350 which I thought was quite reasonable. 
Post #303502 30th Jan 2014 8:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cuthbert

I've got an official Land Rover dealership price to polish my new Defender and spray the upholstery with some protective coating for almost £1,000 - I was almost tempted to ask for the breakdown of materials and labour.

As my grandmother would say "A fool and his money are easily parted"!
Post #303603 30th Jan 2014 11:02pm
Leenorthants

United Kingdom 
Laurie wrote:
Yet, supplying and fitting a raised air intake on my TD5 was just £350 which I thought was quite reasonable.

Blimey, that's a 30 minute job!
Post #303621 30th Jan 2014 11:42pm
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Sounds about right for a L/R dealer - twice what they cost!

bought a great NAS step from Paddocks, turns out it was made by the same people that make the 'genuine' L/R items, cost me about £280 I think, took about an hour to fit ... and I enjoyed fitting it too! Why pay somebody so they can have that pleasure?!!
Post #303630 31st Jan 2014 12:34am
Alex1976

England 
I got my NAS step from paddocks also and it is exatly the same as the Genuine one, probably from the same OEM supplier. I fitted a Mantec swingaway wheel carrier and had no problem - which I think some aftermarket steps do have.

I did take my step down to McArthur Galvanising after a year though to have it hot dipped as it was rusting inside. £50 to have it stripped and dipped and then I just painted it myself with etch primer and a tough satin black.
Post #303667 31st Jan 2014 10:02am
adseybear

Canada 
buy it yourself, apply ACF50 liberally all over/spray in it. then fit yourself. Should keep it corrosion free for alot longer. 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green - "Betty"
1958 Series IIA 109 Station Wagon - "Randolph" - Awaiting Restoration
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon - SOLD
2006 Volvo V70 D5 - Ocean Race Edition, SOLD
2003 VW Passat Estate 1.9TDI - SOLD
2008 BMW 320D M Sport Estate - SOLD
2001 Defender 90 Td5 Hard Top - SOLD
Post #303696 31st Jan 2014 11:58am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Cuthbert wrote:
I've got an official Land Rover dealership price to polish my new Defender and spray the upholstery with some protective coating for almost £1,000 - I was almost tempted to ask for the breakdown of materials and labour.

As my grandmother would say "A fool and his money are easily parted"!

I was asked if I wanted that doing by a Dealer on my 2nd hand purchase of a land Rover 110, I said no, the look on the salesman's face was that of shock Shocked , the young cleaner outside said he had spend 2 hours polishing and the inside had been sprayed with a protective coating. Rolling Eyes Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #303699 31st Jan 2014 12:09pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello RouseyD

I agree with your questioning of this cost (£600+) to fit a OEM LR Rear Step,
at that price it just doesn't feel right.

My standard rear step on a 1994 300tdi lasted 10 years before it corroded from the inside out and
needed replacing... it is possible to do better than the dealer price quoted, a lower standard part
cost can be found on-line, but the big saving to be made is to fit this yourself... a relativity simple job.

I have now fitted a NAS Rear Step to my 2010 90 and would make a couple of observations...

NAS Rear Step STC50269AA (£270)

The NAS Step height is higher than the Standard LR Step.
The NAS Step (obviously) does not fold up out of the way.
If your departure angle (off road) is of real importance take a closer look at one fitted before buying.
The NAS Step standard plastic coating or epoxy powder coating finishes are ok but not really long lasting.
My NAS Step is 18 months old and will get a full strip and 2 part epoxy finish in the spring, the internal
tubing was rust protected before its initial fitting.
If you are considering a towing set up you are a step closer with a NAS Step.
This is an easy DIY fit for most.

NAS Rear Step before fitting

Click image to enlarge

NAS Rear Step Exploded View

NAS Rear Step Underside Fitting

NAS Rear Step Underside Fitting

So overall if DIY fitted the NAS Rear Step will be at least 1/2 the price of a LR fitted OEM Rear Step SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #311405 24th Feb 2014 9:45pm
RustyM

England 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I have been through the same dilemma, I opted for the dealer fit as this comes with a 3 year guarantee if dealer fitted to a new order vehicle Thumbs Up So when it goes bad I will get a new one under the warranty give by opting for said fitting. 90 & Wolf
110 XS
Previously owned SI SII SIIa SIII & Light weight (air portable)
Post #311414 24th Feb 2014 10:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>