↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > MY22 V8 supercharger on the way
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 14 <123 45 ... 121314>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Did I also hear the engineer say that the additional power of the V8 made the vehicle more capable whilst rock crawling?

Shocked
Post #887892 26th Feb 2021 8:34am
Griff90bowler

Wales 
Probably due to the rear diff locking up for drifting
Post #887894 26th Feb 2021 8:39am
Griff90bowler

Wales 
Any idea when we can start playing with the configurator
Post #887895 26th Feb 2021 8:41am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Where is Malcolm Tucker when you need help articulating how you feel about a drifting Defender?
Post #887903 26th Feb 2021 9:48am
LRSpain004

Spain 
Grenadier wrote:
^^^ More to the point, why do LR consider this important for their most capable ‘off-road’ vehicle? Why have they spent money on achieving this? Yet again this highlights the brands desire to move LR away from its roots. If you want to ‘drift’ a V8 from the JLR stable you choose a F-Type. If you want to drive in luxury you choose a XR or FFRR. If you want to off road you choose a Defender. Blending all three is just nonsense. Utter nonsense. Big Cry
Thumbs Up

Perfectly said... why they bought out the New Defender and put in on the same price bracket as 80% of all their other cars I will never know. All you have to do is look at how New Defender is cannibalising sales from D5 and RRS ... what a c%*k up in Marketing and all that GERRY talk of having different families of models; defender, discovery etc.... BS. The unattractive Discovery 5 is dead and the sales show that.
Post #887921 26th Feb 2021 11:00am
Tim in Scotland

Or is it a case that for most people D5 and RRS have moved too far into the luxury market and are too expensive for most buyers so they buy a New Defender instead? When I wanted to change my last RRS in 2018 to replace it with the exact same spec I was looking at a rise in price in 3 years of more than £10,000, from £69000 in 2015 to £79000 in 2018 for the same Corris Grey HSE SDv6 Dynamic. A whole lot of things that were standard kit in 2015 had become optional extras in 2018. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #887928 26th Feb 2021 11:30am
SN

LRSpain004 wrote:

Perfectly said... why they bought out the New Defender and put in on the same price bracket as 80% of all their other cars I will never know. All you have to do is look at how New Defender is cannibalising sales from D5 and RRS ... what a c%*k up in Marketing and all that GERRY talk of having different families of models; defender, discovery etc.... BS. The unattractive Discovery 5 is dead and the sales show that.

Well there are a couple of reasons I can think of.

The New Defender does have 'important differences' to the D5/RRS/lowspec-FFRR which means it appeals to additional sectors that the others a potential purchaser would not go near. The fact of the matter, is that it is more 'offroad biased'both in capability and visually. So that alone will atract more people to the brand. Its not actually that important sales elsewhere are cannibalised - as long as the grand total (volumes and revenue) for JLR increase then thats a good thing. The EMC puts the same engines in all models. Ellesmere Port and Nitra can build multiple vehicle designs equally. Lines may not be refreshed (D5 is vulnerable here as we know), but if the R&R cost is aready sunk one xisting models, who cares?

And then there is commonality across models to ease the R&D cost - the D7 platform. The myriad of sh*t that comes of out VAG's ultimate badge-engineering approach in almost every market sector, based on about 3 platforms prove this approach wrks - and they've stopped even trying to distinguish the brands in some cases (see Q2 vs T-ROC stupidity where you really are just paying for 4 circle badge with the Q2) - that reminds of the Austin 1100 (BMC ADO16) and its Morris/Wolseley/Riley/MG twins) from the 60's/70's.

BMW are another brand who now have a very wide market sector spread with tiny tiny differences between an M this or a 4 series that. Do they care that a their ugly X4 or GT takes sales from the 5 series line? Its the way of the world. Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #887937 26th Feb 2021 12:37pm
AndrewM

Switzerland 
Supacat wrote:

Where is a normal punter, even with the money to purchase one of these, going to be able to do that. On the public roads?

[Looking sheepish] er, I think that might be me.

We have deepish snow, mountain passes and hairpins. Sometimes the easiest way around a hairpin in the snow is traction off, weight the front, get it turning in and then use the power to get the car rotating. Obviously you need to know what's coming but we're talking relatively low speeds and it's certainly more controllable than understeer which on snow is the default.

I used to drive a manual Subaru Forester XT covering decent amount of km each year either on fresh snow or gravel. That car didn't have electronic stabilisation but was unstoppable as soon as you had learnt the basics of weight transfer and left foot braking.

My most recent car has been a BMW 3 series with x-drive and unfortunately it has two issues - first, switching off traction (and leaving it on on snow is appalling) sharpens the throttle and hangs on to gears longer which isn't really what you want. Mine also has a BMW exhaust system that bangs and crackles depending on the mode and switching traction off opens the valves in the exhaust which for driving around town at low speed isn't very sociable. Secondly on snow its low ground height means that you can sometime find the snow pushing the wheels off the ground (or building up at the front). I'm sure I'd be faster, and have more enjoyment, on snow in a Panda with a 5th of the power.

Personally when I saw that program it got me speaking to my local dealer about the cost of taking a v8 instead of a P400e (not massive). I'd almost certainly use that programme a lot more than some other programmes. The show-stopper for the V8 might be the lack of roof-carrying options.
Post #887963 26th Feb 2021 4:19pm
oop north

United Kingdom 
My wife is desperate for me not to get a Range Rover (or RRS) but she loves the Defender and would be happy if I get one. Still not sure if I wouldn’t get a disco 5 instead (bigger boot and available used for lots less than new - and a new one doesn’t seem too expensive compared to other LRs). I would not consider a Grenadier in any event.
Post #887967 26th Feb 2021 5:28pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Lots of over thinking on this I reckon. There are decent overseas markets for this type of powerful blingy SUV. Buyers in Russia, China, Kazakhstan and parts of the Middle East will love it. Plus all the usual moneyed cities in Europe. These types of punters wouldn't consider any of the other Defenders in the range. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.

Last edited by Zed on 26th Feb 2021 6:08pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #887972 26th Feb 2021 5:55pm
Supacat

Grenadier wrote:
^^^ More to the point, why do LR consider this important for their most capable ‘off-road’ vehicle? Why have they spent money on achieving this? Yet again this highlights the brands desire to move LR away from its roots. If you want to ‘drift’ a V8 from the JLR stable you choose a F-Type. If you want to drive in luxury you choose a XR or FFRR. If you want to off road you choose a Defender. Blending all three is just nonsense. Utter nonsense. Big Cry

I do think they look very nice:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #887977 26th Feb 2021 6:00pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
it will sell well in some regions maybe not the UK but with the profit markup it will have any firm would be mad not to try it.

As for drifting hmmm not a cool trick for this car. If they had managed to pull off something along the lines of Rivians Tank Turn mode it would have been more appropriate and got my attention. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #887987 26th Feb 2021 6:31pm
Nitroneil

Scotland 
A car is a car, if you can successfully make it do many things then all the better.
The New Defender has already proven itself more than capable offroad and on road, interesting to see more on the 90 as it becomes more widespread.
The fact that the same basic car can be a mud and rock crawler but also hold its own round Nürburgring seems to me a good thing. Why if its capable should it be forced into a pigeon hole with its wings clipped. 90S D250 fuji and loving it.

Last edited by Nitroneil on 26th Feb 2021 11:04pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #887990 26th Feb 2021 6:39pm
Supacat

Nitroneil wrote:
A car is a car

Spoken like a true Petrol head.

Nitroneil wrote:
The fact that the same basic car can be a mud and rock crawler but also hold its own Nuremburg seems to me a good thing.

I'm sure Gerry would be impressed with the verticality of those flags...

Click image to enlarge
Post #887999 26th Feb 2021 7:29pm
Nitroneil

Scotland 
Oops guess combination of dyslexia and spellchecker kicked in there. but I am sure you get what I meant. Fixed now 90S D250 fuji and loving it.

Last edited by Nitroneil on 26th Feb 2021 11:07pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #888004 26th Feb 2021 7:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 14 <123 45 ... 121314>