↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > MY22 V8 supercharger on the way
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 14 <123 ... 789 ... 121314>
Print this entire topic · 
Sepp

Germany 
jon_a5 wrote:
...If I wanted a boring German car would save £60k and buy a skoda...

Skoda may be boring, but it is not German. It is Czech.

Sharing the VW platform, with car Engineering and Design done by Skoda in Mlada Boleslav.
Post #895483 2nd Apr 2021 7:02am
SN

Its German - just happens to be built elsewhere.

But I will say this, they do make Audi buyers look extremely stupid because the Skodas are basically the same car for a huge saving as compared to their equivalents with the 4 circles of yawnness on them... Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #895554 2nd Apr 2021 1:00pm
Sepp

Germany 
SN wrote:

Repeating false statements doesn't make them true.

Skoda is as German as Scotland is English.
Post #895564 2nd Apr 2021 2:34pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
And no dissing Skoda please! Skippy is on the drive and will be listening, I don’t want her feelings hurt. Ner Ner Ner Ner
Post #895566 2nd Apr 2021 2:40pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I rather like Skodas ~ come a long way in recent years. Thumbs Up

If Skoda was German would the same logic make JLR Indian?

"The fact is ŠKODA AUTO has a sole shareholder, a General Meeting is not held and its powers are executed by this sole shareholder: VOLKSWAGEN FINANCE LUXEMBURG S.A. with its registered seat in Luxembourg, the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg."

http://www.skoda-auto.com/company/about

Last edited by Supacat on 2nd Apr 2021 5:20pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #895570 2nd Apr 2021 3:48pm
Supacat

Double post.
Post #895571 2nd Apr 2021 3:50pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I'm old enough to remember when Skoda used to be the butt of jokes. Now it's Land Rover.

If you compare build quality, materials and reliability it's easy to see why. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #895584 2nd Apr 2021 5:02pm
SN

Sepp wrote:
SN wrote:

Repeating false statements doesn't make them true.

Skoda is as German as Scotland is English.

So who's platforms do they use for everthing? VAG. Last time I looked the V and A letters stood for German car manufacturers. Skoda would still be building rubbish if it wasnt for VAG Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #895600 2nd Apr 2021 6:09pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
SN wrote:

But I will say this, they do make Audi buyers look extremely stupid because the Skodas are basically the same car for a huge saving as compared to their equivalents with the 4 circles of yawnness on them...

Of course the other side of the coin is Audi also use VW, Porsche, Bentley, Lamborghini and Bugatti parts.

Parts sharing can often make sense. Sharing R&D budgets to use parts across sister marques or clawing some back by selling to others. JLR have been buying in engines for years from Ford, PSA etc. I'm sure someone more mechanically minded will know but I think the 'new' Ingenium VVT system is actually a 20 year old Fiat Multijet on licence. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.

Last edited by Zed on 3rd Apr 2021 7:58pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #895646 2nd Apr 2021 8:44pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
SN wrote:

But I will say this, they do make Audi buyers look extremely stupid because the Skodas are basically the same car for a huge saving as compared to their equivalents with the 4 circles of yawnness on them...

For someone who stated (after taken apparent criticism of his new Defender personally) that people on this forum should be polite and respect each other's choices, you've got some way to go. So if a German forum member asserts that Skoda isn't German, you can of course object, but perhaps follow your own mantra and do so politely.

Skoda may have German underpinnings, finance and tech support, but they are HQ'd, designed and made in the Czech Republic and have been continually since the late 1800s. So even if Hans from Stuggart is working in the design department, the majority of the workforce are Czech, not German and the cars are designed and built in the CR. Just as Seat is HQ'd and designed in Barcelona and has a clearly different DNA to VW or Audi. Or even, as Dacia is to Renault. Who owns it doesn't change who designs the cars, where and where they are made. And before you point out that the CEO is German, so was the case for JLR and now he's French. The JLR model range isn't suddenly going to look like Peugeot.

As for the 'extremely stupid' Audi buyers, you might be (albeit impolitely) right about the VW Golf equivalents across the VAG brand, but point out the new e-tron GT, the RS6, the TT or the R8 made by Skoda? Whether or not you ever want one, those models and many more besides, are unique to Audi and somebody out there wants them. But you'll no doubt respect their choice and not prejudge the sort of person they are. And even if the cheaper models do have identical underpinnings across the range, just sitting inside one will show you the hugely different design details within each brand. Of course, you could say why spend £10k more buying an A3 over a Seat Leon when they're the same thing, but we could say the same of buyers choosing a Velar over an F-Pace. But people like choice. You could have chosen any manner of other SUVs but you didn't.

It's the nature of the industry: mass sharing of parts, cars built everywhere, brands grouping together for cost saving, etc, etc. For me the DNA of a car is in its design and provenance, not who owns them or where they are made, but where their HQ is based and where the car is designed. So JLR remain British even if owned by Tata, Toyota remain Japanese even though their largest global factory is in Kentucky and Tesla will remain American even when their forthcoming Chinese plant churns out more cars than their US factories. And that's the same for Skoda. Headquartered, designed, and assembled in the CR and have been since the 1800s. Not Germany. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #895676 3rd Apr 2021 8:31am
Supacat

Zed wrote:
I think the 'new' Ingenium VVT system is actually a 20 year old Fiat Multijet on licence.

Italian (Fiat), licensed to a German supplier Schaeffler ~ the fuel-saving UniAir electrohydraulic variable valve lift system.

But not without it's issues in the JLR version:

Service Action N481 - Replacement of Variable Camshaft Timing Solenoids - To prevent premature wear, a resulting MIL and a possible no start, all affected vehicles require the replacement of variable camshaft timing (VCT) solenoids on both intake an exhaust.
Post #895704 3rd Apr 2021 10:03am
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
"But not without it's issues in the JLR version:

Service Action N481 - Replacement of Variable Camshaft Timing Solenoids - To prevent premature wear, a resulting MIL and a possible no start, all affected vehicles require the replacement of variable camshaft timing (VCT) solenoids on both intake an exhaust."

Are JLR still using Lucas electrics Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #895785 3rd Apr 2021 7:47pm
montpellier

Back to the V8 and getting away from Skoda, any build dates yet ? A friend wants one but now being told end of year maybe Q1 2022. My order meant to be around September del I think
Post #896648 8th Apr 2021 12:46pm
Griff90bowler

Wales 
June 16th 2021
Post #896659 8th Apr 2021 1:25pm
LincsLR

United Kingdom 
Hi Griff, have you been given a definite build slot? I am still waiting in the holding pool.
Post #896688 8th Apr 2021 4:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 14 <123 ... 789 ... 121314>