Home > General & Technical (L663) > Keyless Entry and OBD Security
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
disco_matt

United Kingdom 
Keyless Entry and OBD Security
Hi All

I'm expecting to collect my Defender MY20 First Edition on the 1st (It was built to be in a showroom model but COVID has meant it has spent much of it's short life in storage).

I have been a Disco 3/4 owner since 2008 and (contentiously) I see the new Defender more closely related to the Disco than the Defender.

Anyway, I digress. Living, as I do, in Birmingham which appears to have soaring car crime and having had 1 Discovery stolen just over 3 years ago, 2 attempts on my current one and having been car-jacked in my BMW, I take security pretty seriously.

In my current D4 I have disabled keyless entry, relocated the OBD port (that has saved at least one theft attempt), installed a tracker with remote cut-out (the same unit allowed my BMW to be stopped during pursuit and recovery of it), locked down the identity module so no new keys can be added and use a steering wheel lock.

I know the new keyless entry system uses UWB to better place the keys in relation to the car (which explains reports of having to huddle closely to it to open it) but I would like to know if we can disable keyless entry either in the configuration or via the keyfob wrangling as per other models https://www.velarforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1530

Additionally, the car I have bought doesn't have the standard tracker on the build list - is it something which can be enabled or does it require installing (and if so would i be better off with a third party unit)?

Finally, does anyone know if the identity module (or its equivalent) is protected to prevent additional keys being added without any form of control or authentication?

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited by disco_matt on 18th Feb 2021 12:20pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #886279 18th Feb 2021 11:44am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Don't know if it's possible to disable keyless entry on L663 but my wife had keyless entry disabled on her Discovery Sport. She's selling it next week and has had keyless entry re-enabled in the last few days by local dealer. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #886281 18th Feb 2021 11:52am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Disco matt.

Have a look at this:-

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1832689120106801 Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #886283 18th Feb 2021 11:55am
Tim in Scotland

Cannot get that to work on my MY20 First Edition with keyless entry. All I get is the error/mislock beeps and the keyless still works after doing the disable process. I still use a Faraday Pouch to keep the keys in in the house as a precaution but the keyless radio signal must be very weak as I have to stand very close to the car to use the squares on the locks to lock/unlock however I accidentally found the other day in an empty car park that from almost 100ft from the car pressing the unlock button on the fob still unlocks it from a huge distance..... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 18th Feb 2021 12:22pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #886289 18th Feb 2021 12:16pm
disco_matt

United Kingdom 
discomog wrote:
Disco matt.

Have a look at this:-

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1832689120106801

Yeah, that is what I have done on my Disco, i'd like to do similar on the inbound Defender.

Thanks,

Matt
Post #886292 18th Feb 2021 12:21pm
disco_matt

United Kingdom 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Cannot get that to work on my MY20 First Edition with keyless entry. All I get is the error/mislock beeps and the keyless still works after doing the disable process. I still use a Faraday Pouch to keep the keys in in the house as a precaution but the keyless radio signal must be very weak as I have to stand very close to the car to use the squares on the locks to lock/unlock however I accidentally found the other day in an empty car park that from almost 100ft from the car pressing the unlock button on the fob still unlocks it from a huge distance.....

I expect this relates to the 2 different methods of unlocking.

A request from the car via keyless entry must require the proximity to be tested whereas a request from the keyfob doesn't (and I think this makes sense).

The keyless entry method of theft uses the former so hopefully the car is more secure (but i don't have high hopes that it won't be defeated by the criminals in future).
Post #886294 18th Feb 2021 12:26pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
Strangely that wouldn’t work on my D4 MY11 HSE but worked on lots of other D4s incl my folks’ MY16. Confused
Post #886295 18th Feb 2021 12:26pm
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Stick the latest Clifford system on it. With their immobilisers etc it's not anywhere.
Post #886298 18th Feb 2021 12:30pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
It was sold a couple of years ago, and it’s been stress free motoring since. Laughing Laughing
Post #886299 18th Feb 2021 12:35pm
Tim in Scotland

I would say I have to be less than 2 feet from the car for the keyless entry to work, you would soon know (especially now we all social distance) if a stranger was that close to you to use a grabber on the signal Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #886301 18th Feb 2021 12:43pm
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
I had the Trackstar system installed. Insurance demanded it. It means I have a separate fob, that must be with the vehicle when it’s driven or it contacts the authorities automatically and tells them where it is. I also have a faraday pouch for the key.

Having suffered a house break-in, in the past, to get keys whilst we were asleep I do not want them to have to look too far for them. I’d rather not be woken up with a machete up my nose! They can take the cars and the Trackstar will find them. 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #886304 18th Feb 2021 1:09pm
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
I upgraded to the Secure Tracker Pro - which also is a secondary fob or card (Yet to get car) to authenticate along with the keys.

I do not think it does any additional security as such... just means you need the correct key and the fob.

I am also considering fitting anti ram posts on the drive... but as has been said ... if they want it ... nothing really stops them.

I have 2 big dogs... so that probably would deter the break in for the keys.... but who knows.

Biggest risk is probably car jacking or theft when your out..
Post #886308 18th Feb 2021 1:34pm
disco_matt

United Kingdom 
Thanks guys,

I'm going to look into the 3rd party insurance approved trackers suggested and chat to the insurance company (I wonder whether the additional S5 vs S7 costs achieve greater payback in additional insurance savings).

I have emailed JLR on the keyless entry so fingers crossed I get a response - will post here if they provide anything useful.

Thanks,

Matt
Post #886309 18th Feb 2021 1:50pm
SN

I do NOT understand where the value is in keyless entry Confused

Are we as consumers THAT lazy that pressing a button on the remote to unlock/lock the car is TOO MUCH to do?

When mine turns up this will be the first vehicle I've ever had with this 'flaw' and I will be looking for some way to disable it immediately. Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #886314 18th Feb 2021 2:14pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
Agreed, it’s a solution for a non problem. At least give the owner the choice to switch it off via Settings. Thumbs Up
Post #886316 18th Feb 2021 2:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>