↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Keyless Entry and OBD Security
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
carlmuck

United States 
My NAS P400 HSE has the "Data Pack" and the location is reported in the "InControl" app. I expect if the 4g is turned off the location feature stops working.
Post #886341 18th Feb 2021 3:49pm
disco_matt

United Kingdom 
OK, so I received my Defender on Monday (well actually Tuesday as it disgraced itself by leaking washer fluid all over the showroom floor and I went home in a Velar).

Anyway, I did manage to get the disable / enable keyless entry process from them:

Instructions start with locked car

To Disable:

1.Unlock car
2.Get In Drivers Door
3.Press Light Button on Remote 3 times
4.Press Unlock Button on Remote
5.Headlights should flash to confirm

To Enable:

1.Unlock Car
2.Get in Drivers Door
3.Press Light Button on Remote 3 times
4.Press Lock Button on Remote
5.Headlights should flash to confirm

Tested on mine and works a treat!
Post #888877 3rd Mar 2021 8:15pm
Defendit..

Netherlands 
SN wrote:
I do NOT understand where the value is in keyless entry Confused

Are we as consumers THAT lazy that pressing a button on the remote to unlock/lock the car is TOO MUCH to do?

When mine turns up this will be the first vehicle I've ever had with this 'flaw' and I will be looking for some way to disable it immediately.

X2., I will also disable it first. When I ordered my 90 P300S MY 20 it didn't have Keyless Entry. It did have the nice black grained doorhandles
So now MY21 it is standard on the S, and painted doorhandles.. Grrrr... Looking for a way to change them back, Do not like it, to posh for me. No Mud flaps for my 90.!
-----------------------------------------
P300 S on air, adv.+ offroad pack, DRL+fog, Dinamica Suedecloth + Ebony headliner/Cross Beam- Many Mods..
Post #889448 6th Mar 2021 3:02pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I like keyless entry, there are problems with pressing the button and code grabbing that you don’t get keyless.

Personally I don’t see why anyone would want a tracker. If they steal it I want a new one not an abused one.

I still believe secure tracker should be added being different maybe to pro but I’m sure JLR will never know how Mike
Post #889493 6th Mar 2021 6:17pm
dontwakemeup

Australia 
Jeeze. Maybe just get insurance? It's just a car. I'd rather have a new one than an abused one like the last guy said. Agreed value insurance. All this seems to be a bit over the top.
Post #889575 7th Mar 2021 1:00am
Tim in Scotland

Has anyone heard of a New Defender with keyless entry being stolen yet? I use it all the time because it won’t work more than a couple of feet from the car whereas the buttons on the fob can unlock the car from 50m or more away and CAN be grabbed. With the new system I still use a Faraday pouch to store the keys in when I’m at home, mainly because I’ve been doing that for years with previous cars. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #889596 7th Mar 2021 9:20am
deaston

United Kingdom 
dontwakemeup wrote:
Jeeze. Maybe just get insurance? It's just a car. I'd rather have a new one than an abused one like the last guy said. Agreed value insurance. All this seems to be a bit over the top.

I agree. Prevention and deterrents (parking securely if possible, CCTV, disk locks, faraday pouch etc.) are much better than trying to track a vehicle after it's been stolen.
Post #889603 7th Mar 2021 9:57am
disco_matt

United Kingdom 
dontwakemeup wrote:

After having 2 cars stolen in the last 4 years, a Disco 4 and BMW M140 which was at carjacking at knifepoint, I take security rather seriously.

The BMW was recovered within 15 minutes of it happening (and the offender subsequently caught) because I had a tracker with a remote immobiliser which I activated with an app (the BMW tracker had already been disabled by them within that 15 mins).

As a result my insurance is still insanely high, but would be far worse if it hadn't been recovered, and I don't want it to get higher so I need to make my car less easy to steal than as it left the factory.

Whilst the keyless entry is far more secure than it used to be, I'm sure the wireless tech used to boost the signal will catch up and implement UWB repeating as it does with the standard signals at some point. Disabling keyless entry stops it being an issue. Combined with visual deterrents, such as a steering lock, and the write once KVM, which prevents additional keys being added to the car, I think it should be pretty secure.

The assholes can still steal the keys, potentially by breaking in, or jacking it, which is where a remote immobiliser in addition to the standard JLR tracker is the belt and braces.
Post #889708 7th Mar 2021 8:10pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
If they want your car, they will take it

Keyless isn’t as bad as people think, old or new generation, although new generation is better...keyless is better than pressing the buttons which can allow code theft.

Tracker, I just don’t want it back and if you advertise you have a tracker to deter they prepare to overcome, if you don’t advertise it, what’s the point Mike
Post #889713 7th Mar 2021 8:52pm
disco_matt

United Kingdom 
Quote:
Keyless is better than pressing the buttons which can allow code theft
- I'm afraid I have to disagree with this.

Rolling Codes between the keyfob and KVM mean that you can't simply steal the code from the keyfob, it is never repeated, and follows a sequence only known between the keyfob and the KVM. The KVM is looking for a code from it's forward cache, and not a repeat of a previous code and even if this did work, they couldn't start the car without the keyfob being in the car as the KVM is read only following it's first time initialisation by JLR or the dealer.

Keyfob jamming is still a thing, but for the previous mentioned reasons won't gain them much, and so long as you are vigilant, gets them nothing.

Tracker / immobiliser is more than a deterrent, it's a means to secure lower cost insurance and i'll admit to a sense of F**k you when I got my car back within 15 mins of it being stolen.
Post #889727 7th Mar 2021 9:41pm
deaston

United Kingdom 
disco_matt wrote:
dontwakemeup wrote:

After having 2 cars stolen in the last 4 years, a Disco 4 and BMW M140 which was at carjacking at knifepoint, I take security rather seriously.

I would think moving house would be more of a priority.
Post #889738 7th Mar 2021 10:32pm
disco_matt

United Kingdom 
Quote:
I would think moving house would be more of a priority.

I actually live in a reasonably affluent area on the outskirts of Birmingham and we do have plans to move to somewhere a little more rural but we can't do it immediately because kids etc.

Neither car was stolen off the drive, once was in a public car park in the centre of Birmingham and the carjacking happened when I was getting out of the car away from the house.
Post #889798 8th Mar 2021 10:39am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
9 arrested after theft of more than 70 keyless cars
Recent story on keyless entry and Range Rovers:

Detectives investigating a gang of thieves who used scanners to steal at least 70 keyless cars and 4x4s have arrested nine people.

Police raided 10 homes across London, Essex and Hertfordshire last week and arrested six men and three women.

The operation was a move against a network which investigators believe is behind the theft of at least 70 high-value vehicles worth more than £1.5m in total, most being Range Rovers.

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/ma...led/219697
Post #893351 23rd Mar 2021 6:41am
Japseroony

England 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Simon Audi wrote:
I upgraded to the Secure Tracker Pro - which also is a secondary fob or card (Yet to get car) to authenticate along with the keys.

I have the secure Tracker Pro on my FFRR and there is no secondary card or fob at all so don't see why they would start doing this with the Defender? Gas, Grass Or Ass - Nobody Rides For Free

"UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" ------is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" ----is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" -----------is how far you take the fence with you.
Post #893388 23rd Mar 2021 11:23am
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
They built it into the key.. so there is the normal immobiliser chip and the STP chip
(I believe)
Post #893456 23rd Mar 2021 3:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>