↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Celebrity Owners
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Quite right Fat Cog, and most definitely not Gerry McG’s target audience for the new Def as not one of you is wearing a cravat. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #876009 3rd Jan 2021 10:36am
J77

Scotland 
GreenMonster wrote:
Lindsey Vonn. Even you knumbskulls must have heard of her. https://www.instagram.com/p/CJWriW2niRu/?hl=en[/url]

Definitely not, not a clue who she is.

To me sick is when you are ill Confused

When I look at other Velar owners and then look at myself, Im definitely not the target audience. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #876021 3rd Jan 2021 11:51am
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Grenadier wrote:
Quite right Fat Cog, and most definitely not Gerry McG’s target audience for the new Def as not one of you is wearing a cravat. Thumbs Up

Ha ha, no cravats in sight but plenty of oily hands, if I remember correctly we'd just changed a wheel bearing on one of the Defender's; what I love about my LR scene is the eclectic bunch of folk I meet, I'm not sure this will ever be the case again with the way JLR are going, my Wolf is 22 years old & will most definitely outlive me, it'll never be beyond economic repair nor (thankfully) attract a celebrity owner but that's just fine by me & I suspect I represent most folk on this forum. Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #876083 3rd Jan 2021 5:38pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

But I'm also happy for the odd celeb to copy my fashion lead driving Defenders!! Laughing Cool James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #876094 3rd Jan 2021 6:34pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
GreenMonster wrote:
Lindsey Vonn. Even you knumbskulls must have heard of her. https://www.instagram.com/p/CJWriW2niRu/?hl=en[/url]

You greatly underestimate the ignorance of some...
Post #876096 3rd Jan 2021 6:40pm
Supacat

Zed wrote:
GreenMonster wrote:

Vonn was one of the greatest downhill skiers of all time but isn't she sponsored by Land Rover? I know they sponsor the current US ski and snowboard teams.

Yep ~ bought and paid for, so in my eyes really don't count:

"Land Rover is building a roster of star endorsers with 10 snow-sport athletes representing its brands this winter – as well as a rock/pop singer warming up in the wings.

Alpine ski racers Lindsey Vonn, Ted Ligety and Mikaela Shiffrin are among the luxury automaker’s new endorsers, along with snowboarders Maddie Mastro and Chris Corning. It’s part of the luxury automakers new partnership with U.S Ski & Snowboard, the national governing body for the US Olympic teams."

https://www.campaignlive.com/article/look-...il/1669052
Post #876097 3rd Jan 2021 6:45pm
GreenMonster

United States 
I’m still waiting for my free Defender. I won a race or two back in my teens. That outta be worth at least a lego set.
Post #876718 6th Jan 2021 7:14pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
I came in the top 80% in the last race I ran in, that’s bound to qualify me for a free Defender. Whistle Whistle
Post #876722 6th Jan 2021 7:26pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Wow, all these opinions.
Post #876874 7th Jan 2021 3:54pm
Oldmowgli

Australia 
Grenadier wrote:
Quite right Fat Cog, and most definitely not Gerry McG’s target audience for the new Def as not one of you is wearing a cravat. Thumbs Up

And of course the rest of us new Def owners are wearing them ?

I don't think I'm Gerry's target audience either, based on your opinion, but I bought one all the same. And bloody fantastic it is.

You can keep on mouthing off your stereotypes Grenadier, and sounding bitter, twisted and planted in the past - meanwhile those of us who have had the balls to go buy one and give it a fair go, will just use them, abuse them and quietly enjoy surprising the crap out of everyone who expects it to be only a useless chelsea tractor.

Oldmowgli
Cool
Post #877443 10th Jan 2021 1:04pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Steady on.
Post #877452 10th Jan 2021 1:38pm
nowrxo

Oldmowgli does have a point. Serial detractors like Grenadier posting stereotypes of New Defender owners as effete latte-sipping Guardian-reading metrosexuals is tiresome, immature and pathetic. Why even bother reading this sub-forum? You're not going to buy the car. That much is obvious. Do you just want to prove how superior you are?

I for one am interested in buying a new Defender, so come here to read forum posts hoping I'll learn something from others' experiences. Reading sneering comments about the thing doesn't make me think that is a community worth spending any time in. Or perhaps I shouldn't even consider the car at all. If that's the sort of person who drives a Defender (albeit an old one), why would I want anything in common with them?
Post #877617 10th Jan 2021 10:08pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
It’s only a car chaps. If you consider one of the main reasons folk come to this forum is for support / technical advice from people who’ve had it / done / made that mistake, then maybe the argument for having a separate forum for the new one gathers pace.
Post #877622 10th Jan 2021 10:28pm
Supacat

juwivive wrote:
Reading sneering comments about the thing doesn't make me think that is a community worth spending any time in.

Those rules apply to everyone equally?

juwivive wrote:
Having said all that, I looked again at the initial post, saw the author's name and it all made sense.

Can we keep the thread on topic? Cut & paste any comments you take exception to, sleep on them, and if you must start your own thread the next day.

Last edited by Supacat on 10th Jan 2021 10:51pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #877625 10th Jan 2021 10:49pm
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I think this thread has got somewhat off-track from the celebrity theme & has got far too personal; its undeniable that modern day JLR (& every other manufacturer) have become celebrity & image obsessed which has alienated a sizeable section of Land Rover enthusiasts, as far as I can see this thread is about marketing strategy as opposed to the merits of the new Defender.

That said, I believe Huttopia makes a good point regarding separate forums...unlike the Wrangler, G-Wagon DNA etc the new 2020 Defender is so far removed from the pre-2016 model that making comparisons is pointless & the chasm will widen by natural progression as the old model becomes consigned to, albeit living, automotive history.

I've said this on previous posts that the new Defender isn't my cup of tea but I suspect my Wolf & 90 HT XS are not to the liking of most 2020 Defender owners, that doesn't mean I hold a personal grudge or any judgement whatsoever, nor would I expect others to sit in judgement on me & if its all going to get personal & nasty then I think, forum-wise' the writing is on the wall. Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #877627 10th Jan 2021 10:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>