LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
for some reason watching the video made me smile,

Note the comment about driving up a mountain DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #875611 1st Jan 2021 9:08am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
^^^ Me too, but not enough to follow the angry little man on FB. God he likes himself, doesn't he? But you can't fault his assessment of what people want from the new Defender, 'we don't want to drive up a mountain, we want a car to look good', which must make Gerry McG supremely happy. He's all about style over substance despite the clear abilities of this new Defender to drive like a Range Rover. This video is the target market of the New Def nailed in six minutes. Minus the tattoos but adding some kids on a school run. Bought, like he has, without any idea of what it does, purely for use in the urban jungle. Yet another pimpable SUV. What a shame. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #875613 1st Jan 2021 9:29am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Urban carry some serious stock!! Good to see them doing well. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #875635 1st Jan 2021 12:50pm
Slideywindows

England 
Grenadier wrote:
Yet another pimpable SUV. What a shame.

Will JLR ever recover from these depths, and that customer profile?

The Wilks brothers must be turning in their graves.
Post #875685 1st Jan 2021 6:01pm
Tim in Scotland

Why are you surprised that the new one is being “pimped”? Lots of the previous Defender were used by this sort of person who took them to Urban, Kahn, Overfinch or Chelsea Tractor to be bejazzled and upgraded with dubious taste. Same with Range Rovers and Discoveries, about the only Land Rovers currently in production that don’t seem to get much modifying are the Discovery Sport and Evoque. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #875737 1st Jan 2021 8:53pm
Chawks

United Kingdom 
In no way shape or form a celebrity. I first saw a video of him on YouTube a few years ago and it was filmed by himself protesting that the Police are harassing him, acting illegally blah blah blah. Arrogant doesn't even come close! Although to his credit he's clearly made a lot of money from business rather than continuing the thug doorman career path.

Chugga90 wrote:
Oakseywick wrote:
Here is another Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

But what is he? I saw one of his videos earlier this week on Facebook at urban collecting the Defender. Just wonder the point of him?
Post #875814 2nd Jan 2021 9:32am
Ellisboy

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
I think he’s as pointless as the new defender

Stephen.
Post #875820 2nd Jan 2021 10:41am
Grenadier

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Why are you surprised that the new one is being “pimped”? Lots of the previous Defender were used by this sort of person who took them to Urban, Kahn, Overfinch or Chelsea Tractor to be bejazzled and upgraded with dubious taste. Same with Range Rovers and Discoveries, about the only Land Rovers currently in production that don’t seem to get much modifying are the Discovery Sport and Evoque.

I'm not surprised, at all. It falls into the same category as RRs and Discos. Large SUV. And whilst previous Defenders were pimped, it was in tiny numbers for fashionistas, whilst this will see a lot lot more attention. It is a pimper's dream. Just look how many are sitting in Urban's garage. No doubt there will be people pimping the new Grenadier, but in what numbers/percentages? Tiny I'd suspect, certainly relative to the New Def. Chalk and cheese owners.

And whilst this fellow has gone down the Urban route for some snazzy wheels and new bonnet lettering, aside from that the car doesn't look any different to what it would have looked like rolling off the assembly line or the many others that will follow it. To me it just amplifies why this car was designed and who it was aimed at. You Tim, I'm sure are not what Gerry McG and team were thinking of when creating this car. They had to make it off road capable (exceptional) to give some credence to its Defender heritage, but in every other regard it's a wealthy person's SUV. There's little utilitarian about it. It has no semblance to the old Defender.

For example, what does this describe: A vehicle that is capable on road; a vehicle that is very capable off road; a vehicle that has a comfortable, spacious, yet practical and hard wearing interior and nice balance of creature comforts; a vehicle that can swallow 7; a vehicle that nods to the Defender and the Range Rover but which is more comoftable than one, less than the other, better off road than one, but less than the other, more expensive than one, but cheaper than the other; a car which is a happy, more comfortable, sensibly priced medium between the original Defender and the Range Rover. That could be the New Defender, but I would strongly suggest it was also the template set by JLR for the original Disco 1.

I have nothing against this vehicle, just its name and its 'purpose' which to me do not follow the heritage or line of the Defender/Series. Disco, most certainly and it would have been an exceptional addition that would sell like hot cakes. But why did we need a 9th SUV from JLR? Why couldn't they have kept just one, original, work horse like Ineos are creating. Just what we on this forum own, done better. It was absolutely possible, absolutely within their power/experience/history, it could and should have been done. The new Defender could have been the Grenadier. Instead the new Defender stole the Disco format and just to please Gerry. No other reason for it, he couldn't accept having something genuinely utilitarian tied to 'his' image, nothing more than that.

I reiterate, I don't dislike the vehicle per se, indeed if I needed a Disco style vehicle it would be a very strong contender, but I'd be changing the bonnet lettering to Discovery as soon as I collected it. I still don't think it is too late for them to do it, Call this the Discovery and call the current Disco the Discovery Urban or something. Or call this the Defender Urban and then create a Grenadier which they call the Defender Heritage etc etc. Never happen though, Not now that Gerry has taken over design for the whole of JLR.

Entirely my view of course. Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #875827 2nd Jan 2021 11:16am
GreenMonster

United States 
Lindsey Vonn. Even you knumbskulls must have heard of her. https://www.instagram.com/p/CJWriW2niRu/?hl=en[/url]
Post #875963 2nd Jan 2021 10:17pm
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
NOPE....
Post #875971 2nd Jan 2021 11:18pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
Me neither. Thumbs Up
Post #875972 2nd Jan 2021 11:19pm
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Mental...

Adjective

of or relating to the mind
mental powers; mental suffering
of, relating to, or affected by a disorder of the mind
a mental patient; mental illness
providing care for persons with disordered minds, emotions, etc
a mental hospital
performed by or existing in the mind:

Sums it all up really...

A random photo of my Land Rover buddies...not a celebrity amongst them & as for 'image is everything'...well I think the photo speaks for itself!!!

I think I prefer the Land Rover world as portrayed in my photo rather than all this celebrity, image, self-promotion, high 5'ing, pimped-up Censored .

Click image to enlarge
 Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains

Last edited by Fat Cog on 10th Jan 2021 1:25pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #875975 2nd Jan 2021 11:21pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
GreenMonster wrote:
Lindsey Vonn. Even you knumbskulls must have heard of her. https://www.instagram.com/p/CJWriW2niRu/?hl=en[/url]

Vonn was one of the greatest downhill skiers of all time but isn't she sponsored by Land Rover? I know they sponsor the current US ski and snowboard teams. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #875985 3rd Jan 2021 12:36am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Fat Cog - Agree, 110% with your last sentence there. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #875986 3rd Jan 2021 12:47am
Grenadier

GreenMonster wrote:

Alpine Skiing’s not big in the UK Green Monster.

Those who do ski/follow skiing will have heard of her of course, absolute legend. Bow down Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #876008 3rd Jan 2021 10:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>