↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Puma to LT1/8L90 Restomod
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 25 of 38 <123 ... 242526 ... 363738>
Print this entire topic · 
kenzle8a

I had no idea Transcal did stuff like that, I drive past there all the time as its just up the road from me and were always in Screwfix on the same estate.
Post #949350 14th Apr 2022 1:38pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
The only air-con people I know is https://www.fenair.co.uk/ might be worth a try? James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #949351 14th Apr 2022 1:54pm
irishpaddy

Ireland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
its going to be one hell of a 90
Post #950524 25th Apr 2022 8:09pm
mrfirepro

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Bonatti Grey
I managed to get an old compressor (Thanks Ian) and cut out the back plate, I'm not sure this is going to work, but trying to make an adapter from the existing block to the new compressor as taking the LR pipe out now is a nightmare.

Planning on getting some connectors (still working on the type) tig welded to this with a couple of flexibles onto the new compressor.

Click image to enlarge

Not totally happy with the way its going to look... Sad Sad

Fitted the ORE front bumper and the DRL's

Click image to enlarge

Impressed with the quality and finish, much less impressed with having holes in the ends of the bumpers, wasnt expecting that Shocked Shocked I dont like the rubber ends, not sure I'm going to be happy living with them in the long term. Aparently not available without holes.... Twisted Evil

Click image to enlarge

Thanks to Andy for his assistance was able to fit the cubby box by making a few brackets and some major surgery with the gear shroud.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Again thanks to Andy, advice was to move the gear selector as far forward as possible, I've moved it about 30mm further forward than my initial position or the position marked on the cubby box.

Click image to enlarge

Electrics wise the puddle lights and heated wing mirrors are wired along with DRL's and high pressure window washer all loomed in nicely, even tried to match the rubbish way LR did the loom Laughing .

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Have now set the position of the aux fuse board, in the bottom of the cubby box behind the shifter. Plenty of space for a 16 way unit, with external raceway to the seat boxes for easy cabling.

Click image to enlarge
Post #950682 26th Apr 2022 11:50pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Nice work. If your ever up in York, I’ve got a DRL bumper from ORE without the holes as they weren’t available with the holes when I bough mine! I’d prefer holes so we could do a swap!!

Where did you get the centre cubby from, is it off the shelf or did you manufacture it yourself?

Cheers
Col
Post #950688 27th Apr 2022 6:03am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Lookslike you're on the home run now? How much longer do we have to wait..... Embarassed Thumbs Up Bow down James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #950689 27th Apr 2022 6:11am
chrismack85

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 PU Belize Green
Hi there,
Just seen your comment Paul, I did call to apologise for the mixup with the bumper holes and if you recall I did offer to send you one without holes but would have taken 2/3 weeks for the next batch to go through. I think we also offered you a discount on the steering guard as you missed that from your original order.
You’ve got my mob number so feel free to call me this afternoon or whenever convenient if you’ve like to to swap it as originally discussed. I’ll happily have that one collected and another sent out.

Service is very important to us and I hate to see any of our customer's disappointed with our service.

Build looks very smart btw 👌👌

Cheers
Chris
Post #951232 1st May 2022 5:51pm
mrfirepro

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your offer and response, that would be great. Let me know when you have them without holes and we will do a swap. Smile I've sent you an email
Post #951239 1st May 2022 6:39pm
mrfirepro

Hi Chris, did you get my email?
Post #952172 10th May 2022 4:58pm
chrismack85

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 PU Belize Green
Yes the office did - I’ve been away
Prefer to use normal means of communication rather than in a forum as I don’t really monitor this forum.. only by chance I’ve checked my spam folder and seen the alert to this post. Call you this week to sort as agreed.
Pretty sure you’ve got my number Paul as you left me 2 voicemails so feel free to contact me directly in future mate 👍👍
BR
Chris
Post #952184 10th May 2022 6:13pm
mrfirepro

about time for an update, whilst the following picture doesn’t look like it represent much progress it has taken a lot of time to get everything right, well I mean right in a very conservative way....

Click image to enlarge

There are still some "I hope it works out ok bits”, but it’s been difficult weighing up the different positions to make sure that the selector is as far forward as possible whilst still working with the cable control and fitting the cubby box, not sure it's 100% right but think it's the best possible, got to say a big thanks to Andy for his input.

We have also made some big decision around the electronics and decided to mount an auxiliary fuse board behind the gear selector and create a race way between the cubby box and seat boxes and the bulkhead wiring, hopefully future proofing the system and making it as neat as possible and easy to fault find in the future.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I've also received the complete privacy glass package from nice guys at VGS, this also included fixed side windows, fixed sunroof and a panoramic roof.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Also fitted the windscreen, which was a job I was dreading, but turned out to be very easy (using the string method and lots of silicone grease), assuming I’ve done it right Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Also, after a lot of reading and research I've decided on a head unit, primarily due to its shallow depth.

Click image to enlarge

Thanks for all the positivity and helpful comments they are really appreciated.
Post #952205 10th May 2022 7:43pm
Co1

Great work, this attention to detail is impressive. I’m about 18 months I think from kicking off my V8 project and this is causing me to bounce back and forth between LS3 and LT1!
Post #952212 10th May 2022 8:32pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Hello Co1.
LT1 & LS3 = two great engines, but whilst you're doing your homework before you "commence proceedings", you might want to check out the supercharged LSA engine which is also available as a crate engine,...a lot more power & torque......with pretty much the same external dimensions with respect to fitting into your engine bay....you'd be looking at around 580HP & 566 ft lbs.
The LSA is fairly common in Aussie where it has been used as the standard engine in several HSV Commodores.
Regards, Pickles.
Post #952226 11th May 2022 12:04am
mrfirepro

Co1, I had the same dilemma. there are lots of resources and some great you tube videos comparing the specs and characteristics of the two engines, and I've covered some of my reasons earlier.

However, the biggest negative for going the LT1 was lack of experience/help/resources of this platform when compared to the help available with the LS3. One of my main concerns was correct placement of the engine gearbox package. I'd like to say I expertly placed this, and all was fine, however the reality is I was extremely lucky as it's all worked out fine but the tolerances or very fine indeed.

I'm still not sure in practise that the manifolds are too close to the heater parts, however with the limited space in the front there isn't much room for moving forward either.

The final driver for me deciding on the LT1 was talking with several builders here and in the states and almost all were developing (or at least considering) LT1 solutions with either the 8L90 or 6L90. My fear was that if I decided to go LS3 and the market did move to LT1's, my shiny new project would immediately be "old hat" before it had even been driven a mile Big Cry

Apart from the LSA I also considered and very nearly ordered the LT4, however I couldn’t find an accessory drive kit that could work with the right-hand drive steering box.

If you do go LT1 I have taken 1000's of photos and records of all suppliers which I'm happy to help with, good luck with your choice.
Post #952391 12th May 2022 6:14pm
Co1

Cheers Paul, much appreciated. That’s is the same thing that is pushing me away from LS3 but the thing that pulls me right back is that there are loads of LS3 conversions out there. Decisions decisions! I turned over 90,000 miles today and the V8 plan will be triggered at 100,000, so I’ve time to decide yet!
Post #952393 12th May 2022 6:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 25 of 38 <123 ... 242526 ... 363738>