↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Puma to LT1/8L90 Restomod
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 13 of 38 <123 ... 121314 ... 363738>
Print this entire topic · 
mrfirepro

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Bonatti Grey
Everything will be painted, need to make a decision on the colour this week so I can get the bulkhead done and of course EM121 on the bottom Laughing
Post #891817 16th Mar 2021 12:44pm
mrfirepro

At last things are starting to move at a better pace as I'm now only waiting for the replacement floating disks.

Been doing a bit of work on the fuel pump assembly and modified the standard unit to accept the new fuel pump.

Made an intermediate fixing out of the old fuel unit

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

still not totally finished as I've got to make some sort of rubber mounting around the fuel pump.

Trial fitted the new brakes

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

got to fabricate a mud shield and a larger brake shield (open to ideas)

Was concerned that the new wheels would not fit with the Ashcroft flanges, but they fit well, but clearance in down to a few mm

Click image to enlarge

also got back all the brackets and nuts and bolts from the platers

Click image to enlarge

Started to fit some of the new bushes

Click image to enlarge

new Tyre pressure monitoring system with Canbus interface

Click image to enlarge

I know everyone else is using dash 6 (AN-06) but I have opted for dash 8 all round for the fuel system.

Click image to enlarge

and most importantly have decided on a colour, Phoenix Orange, the bulkhead should be being painted at some stage this week.

The air suspension will be with me later this week so should be able to get a rolling chassis over the next few weeks.
Post #893405 23rd Mar 2021 1:46pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Crikey those brakes are something else! Very nice. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #893423 23rd Mar 2021 2:30pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Wow! I know I keep saying it but Wow! Shocked Bow down James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #893436 23rd Mar 2021 3:08pm
L110CDL

England 
Nice colour choice, is the Phoenix Orange like a burnt orange ? 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #893551 23rd Mar 2021 9:40pm
mrfirepro

Thanks for all the kind comments.

Got two issues I like advice on please....

1. Wheel bearings - I have renewed the wheel bearings and kept the old spacers, but I may have mixed up the hubs. I've a new larger spacer (I think it is part number TOF100000, 15.5mm) even before reaching 210 Nm, I have zero end float. Given that all the old spacers were either 15.3 or 15.2 is it usual or expected to have no end float with the largest spacer, or perhaps I am, looking for problems which do not exist. I am also only at 150 Nm and the hub feels tight to me.

2. Rear ABS Sensor - I've ordered rear sensors part number SSW100060. The sensors came with plastic covers which I removed; however, these sensors are far too small for the holes, however they do fit very well with the plastic covers on. Have I got the wrong sensors or do the plastic covers stay on?? as per the pic below (abs ring not yet fitted), this feels a really really stupid question, but I can’t find anything on this.

Click image to enlarge
Post #893568 23rd Mar 2021 11:23pm
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
Personally I'd ditch the spacer/locknut arrangement for the wheel bearings and revert to the adjustable set up of two nuts and stake washer.

As for the ABS sensors, I've not seen them fitted with a plastic sleeve before. 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #893591 24th Mar 2021 8:08am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
mrfirepro wrote:
... Wheel bearings - I have renewed the wheel bearings and kept the old spacers, but I may have mixed up the hubs. I've a new larger spacer (I think it is part number TOF100000, 15.5mm) even before reaching 210 Nm, I have zero end float. Given that all the old spacers were either 15.3 or 15.2 is it usual or expected to have no end float with the largest spacer, or perhaps I am, looking for problems which do not exist. I am also only at 150 Nm and the hub feels tight to me.

There is definitely something wrong, if a hub is that tight you will at best destroy the bearings very quickly and at worst suffer a disturbing and catastrophic failure such as the hub seizing, or even parting company with the vehicle. While changing bearings usually won't significantly alter the size of spacer required, due to the very precise tolerances to which bearings are made*, changing hubs and/or stub axles is likely to. If you haven't fitted the outer races of the bearings correctly, or there is crud between the outer race and its seating face in the hub, you may get a similar effect. Whatever the cause, you need to investigate and sort out the problem.

There are many advantages and few disadvantages to binning the spacer and reverting to the earlier two-nut system, as suggested above.

* If you are using any Britpart components then all bets on tolerances and fit are off.
Post #893607 24th Mar 2021 10:14am
mrfirepro

thanks for the reply, it's a big help.

The spacer is a genuine part, which I have measured and is OK the bearings are Timken and have the same part number on as the ones removed. Thanks for confirming there is something wrong. I'll strip the hub again and I've also got a spare hub which I'll use this time and see if the results are the same. Is there ever no end float with the 15.5mm spacer??? is there a figure at which the hub should move so I could measure it with a spring gauge??

Stub axles are new and are britpart, should I ditch them???
Post #893616 24th Mar 2021 11:16am
blackwolf

> Stub axles are new and are britpart, should I ditch them???

Not necessarily. Britpart does not enjoy a good reputation for quality (especially with me, after several incidents but most notably a Britpart hub nut that had a thread so poor it destroyed a stub axle), but it is unlikely that it is the stub axle causing your problem.

In essence the preload/end-float on the hub is determined by the relative dimensions of the spacer and the back-to-back distance between the two bearings' outer races fitted in the hub. If the bearing is tight, it suggests that the distance between the two races is too large, or the spacer too small. If you had a fitted a Britpart hub, I would be deeply suspicious of it. As you haven't, then my first suspicion would be that one or both of the outer bearing races is not snug against the reference surface in the hub - perhaps you didn't tap it fully home, or there is dirt or debris trapped beneath it.

The fitting instructions for the spacer-type hubs instruct you to assemble the hub with the largest size of spacer, measure the end-float on the hub, and use the measured figure to calculate how much smaller is the spacer you require compared to the one you have used. If the hub is manufactured to the correct tolerances, clearly the situation should never arise when there is zero end float or the hub is tight when assembled with the largest spacer. Clearly therefore either the hub, the bearings, the spacer, or the way it is assembled is not right.
Post #893634 24th Mar 2021 1:46pm
mrfirepro

thanks thats great, I'll strip and start again, I'll let you know how I get on.
Post #893639 24th Mar 2021 2:52pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Personally I would also revert to the two hub nut setup.l rather than using spacers.

Sensors, I haven't seen them fitted with that collar before. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #893641 24th Mar 2021 3:22pm
Defendermatt

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 Other SW Bonatti Grey
For the ABS sensor there should be a bush that is fitted to the case first, if your def didn't come with factory ABS then i bet they're not fitted to all axle cases.
Axle bush - FTC1384 1989 90 4.3 V8
2012 L405 OF
2014 D4 HSE Lux (SOLD)
2015 90 HT (SOLD)
@d9o.mf
Post #893646 24th Mar 2021 4:03pm
mrfirepro

thanks all,

So, I've now tried the same with three different hubs and 6 bearings, making sure it's super clean and everything is as it should be but always the same result. I've been resisting going to the two-nut arrangement to stay true to the year for anyone doing this in the future.

To get the hub moving I'm at 16.5N or 1.7Kgs (measured from the wheel stud), there's no binding or loose spots and the movement is smooth. As an aside I dug out all the old bearings from my bin (that was a nice job) and none of them were the Timken bearing I have (the bearings that were Timken were not the same part number, but most were not Timken) I thought I had checked this, but apparently not.

Perhaps as my bearings are different to the old ones, I'm looking for end float that’s not there. The Haynes manual suggest you only need to change the spacer when you have end float of anything more than zero, thus (as it suits my argument) it’s possible to have zero with the largest spacer.

Can anyone confirm my spring gauge readings???
Post #893669 24th Mar 2021 6:09pm
blackwolf

With the largest spacer 0 endfloat is possible but the hub should not be tight.
Post #893678 24th Mar 2021 7:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 13 of 38 <123 ... 121314 ... 363738>