↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Site News & Feedback > New defender and the forum
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
kenzle8a

Ads90 wrote:
I just had a look at the Mini2 forum out of interest, and the Classic only makes an appearance in 'Off Topic'.
The same, but not the same though - the new Mini has been around longer & in much larger numbers so I imagine the classic owners have migrated to a dedicated forum. Or maybe Mini2 only started once the new Mini was released and was always dedicated to the new model - I dunno.

Personally I don't mind both Defenders coexisting here, for now at least.
Maybe as the classic gets older, and is only in the hands of vintage classic enthusiasts (as per classic mini), and the new Defender also gets replacement models (Def3, Def4 etc.) the two will naturally split as the proportion of relatable posts diminishes.

Crikey I've not used mini2 for years. I joined back in 2003 when I got my Cooper. The mini vs MINI is very different to Defender vs Def2. The classic scene folk (90%) actively hated the MINI, my pal had rocks thrown at his car at the 1st London 2 Brighton he went on. I remember going to mini day at Gaydon in 2005 and classic owners coming up to our stand and telling us to f Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad k off.

I loved the classic ironically, and I still have my Cooper, the attitude of the classic owners at the time put me off ever being part of their scene. Lets not do that to folk with the Def2.
Post #865184 3rd Nov 2020 11:23am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Good grief, lord-haggis, that's a bit extreme Shocked

It reminds me that I was told that the local mini group around these parts a few years ago was a bit 'intense'.

I think BMW made a cracking job of their Mini. My Mum drove classic Mini's most of her life but thought that they were too big to be 'mini' Laughing
Post #865186 3rd Nov 2020 11:42am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Sulisuli

Thanks for the OP... a valid point

I joined D2N seven years ago, and as I sit here with 5 screens in front of me I realise that 1
has been effectively 'assigned' to the forum full time, I love the love for the vehicle and the knowledge shared.

Martin has proved a first class gate keeper of the forum and i'm sure if he feels Def2 needs a separate space because of what D2N has become during the build up to Def2 then it'll be the right call.

I tend to agree with Wild Card 90 and Bluest, personally I think the Def2 content has grouped together well and so shouldn't ultimately overwhelm the look and feel of the current forum.

If it's a Defender then it should be here, including the Def2, the division for Puma, TD5 and Tdi had worked well with most respecting where to post what.

Def2 is arguably so different it should be easier for those owners or those interested to be in the right place.

If Def2 reaches 'critical mass' maybe Martin takes action then, but right now I've enjoyed dipping in occasionally to this 'section'.

Like my TV in the long run some channels I just don't go to often. SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #865188 3rd Nov 2020 11:48am
LEZ

United Kingdom 
I'm happy with the forum the way it is, the 'original' or 'new' Defender, everything defender interests me.
Post #865191 3rd Nov 2020 12:07pm
madfrankie

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
I have both a 1968 Series 2a and a 2.4 Puma CSW and have posted on both of those on this forum.

I have always appreciated the depth of both knowledge and opinion on the site and have benefitted from some great tips and advice in the past
I am not intending to buy a "new defender" but have test driven one and Thumbs Up I feel that it is a great piece of kit (that will eventually filter out all its issues) but it is not for me or indeed a "Defender" as such.

That said I am firmly of the mindset that you read /post on what you are interested in and simply don't have to open the rest.
As many have already said this is a fantastic forum THANK YOU MARTIN, of which I too consider myself a guest.
If the 2020 ends up with its own forum, I won't lose any sleep but neither will I get upset at the 2020 content that may appear here.
"Just Sayin" Thumbs Up "Of Course, Of course, I ain't asking . I'm telling!!"
Post #865193 3rd Nov 2020 12:25pm
kenzle8a

Rashers wrote:
Good grief, lord-haggis, that's a bit extreme Shocked

It reminds me that I was told that the local mini group around these parts a few years ago was a bit 'intense'.

I think BMW made a cracking job of their Mini. My Mum drove classic Mini's most of her life but thought that they were too big to be 'mini' Laughing

Some of the early car shows & events did bring out some of the true nutters. In the end we became more of the BMW community ironically as the welcomed us (BMW day always welcomed the minis from day 1). The irony being in the 1st Coopers there wasn't really many parts from BMW on them, even the gear box was rover. The classic lot had the 100% BMW free stickers all over theirs, I wound them up a touch stating I wish mine was 100% Rover free...

I love mine, I've also have 3 Cooper S's over the years but kept the Cooper since I've had it from new. The classic mini grounds were a touch scary (and for some reason full of emo kids). I'd love a classic now the scene is somewhat calmer as well.
Post #865197 3rd Nov 2020 12:45pm
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
As long as I can still find out things about my 2.2 Puma on here, I'm happy however it goes.

It's been interesting seeing the new generation of problems the recent Defender seems to have. Given how expensive they are, and how long they took to develop, if I'd bought one, I'd be somewhat peeved about it. But Land Rover currently don't make any vehicles I'd want to buy, so my interest in them is only idle curiosity.
Post #865202 3rd Nov 2020 1:40pm
Buz1500

United Kingdom 
I think L90Andy’s comments are spot on.

I’ve been a member of the Fullfat site for a number of years and I’ve owned all the RR versions over the years, from the original classic to the L405. The site includes lots of members who have disliked the various developments of the RR over the years but it’s never reached the levels of vitriol and general unpleasantness that this site has shown on occasions.

I’m currently enjoying my new Defender experience and will continue to use the site on a daily basis.
Post #865204 3rd Nov 2020 1:48pm
Bows

Wales 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
I think the forum is great, thank you Martin for for your continued efforts in providing this platform for us to share advice and ideas.
My use of the forum consists of logging on daily and selecting the new posts option at the top of the home page, i then scroll through and read what interests me, i find it an easy forum to use and it is also easy to skip passed the threads that don’t interest me.
I must say, I find this thread tasteless and disrespectful to the hard work and effort that goes in to providing such a great source of information.
Keep up the good work Martin, and thanks again for the forum. 2006 TD5110 station wagon
1995 300Tdi 90 truck cab
1989 90 hard top with 200 tdi
1983 110 hard top
1983 110 Hi cap
1954 107 pick up
Post #865214 3rd Nov 2020 2:36pm
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Just thought I would add my bit, I have had every Land Rover / Range Rover to date except a light weight and 101, and at some point I will also purchase the new Defender once the teething issues are dealt with.
This is a Defender forum at the end of the day geared for Defender owners and in my eyes both new and old, there are specific sections to the forum for specific vehicle related topics you can read them or browse past.
I do understand when you hit the new posts tab and a lot of 2020 posts jump out it sends the blood pressure slightly higher for some people, probably just like it did when the Puma was out, but it’s easy enough to skip past them. Maybe a filter can be added to the new post tab to show topics selected?
I am going to organise a forum overland trip next year to the Alps as mentioned in one of my posts, I certainly would love it to be a mixed group of land rovers.
Martin this form has been a wealth of knowledge and helped me out on many occasions, thank you for keeping it going.
New Defenders Matter!! 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #865220 3rd Nov 2020 3:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
madfrankie

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Bows wrote:
I think the forum is great, thank you Martin for for your continued efforts in providing this platform for us to share advice and ideas.
My use of the forum consists of logging on daily and selecting the new posts option at the top of the home page, i then scroll through and read what interests me, i find it an easy forum to use and it is also easy to skip passed the threads that don’t interest me.
I must say, I find this thread tasteless and disrespectful to the hard work and effort that goes in to providing such a great source of information.
Keep up the good work Martin, and thanks again for the forum.

Not sure why you would find free speech and well versed opinion and debate tasteless or disrespectful??
We are all members of this forum and as such have a right to discuss topics like this even if we disagree! "Of Course, Of course, I ain't asking . I'm telling!!"
Post #865223 3rd Nov 2020 3:31pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
Re: New defender and the forum
Sulisuli wrote:
which if you have one I’m sure you are happy with it

I don't think i've seen a happy one yet Laughing
Post #865225 3rd Nov 2020 3:37pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I personally like the 2020 Defender being part of this forum, it's nice to dream. Whilst I do appreciate it is quite 2020 heavy at present, it is new and has lots to say.

If we can accomodate 1948 Series 1 through to 2016 Defenders, surely we can accomodate the new boy? It is Defender2.net after all Laughing Just one big happy family. Thumbs Up If you're not interested don't read the 2020 section. Just my insignificant thoughts Whistle Personally, I'd like more RRC threads Cool

Click image to enlarge
 James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #865231 3rd Nov 2020 4:19pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
All

I must admit I was ensure as to whether to start this thread and I did ponder it for quite a while but I am pleased I did.

Again I would like to thank Martin for his supreme efforts with regard to the forum as per my original post.

It nice to read so many different views on the same subject and for everyones free speech and well versed opinion to be put across without any comments becoming personal or derogatory Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #865241 3rd Nov 2020 5:15pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
One positive aspect of having be new one in the same forum is it makes those of us who fundamentally have no interest in it realise the our old ones are not quite as badly built and unreliable as they could have been, and that the repair costs we've moaned about for years are not as high as they could have been! Rolling with laughter
Post #865254 3rd Nov 2020 6:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>