↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Site News & Feedback > New defender and the forum
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I would like to say how refreshing this thread has been.

It had all the hallmarks of turning into a stirred hornets nest, and Sulisuli realised this and carefully mentioned this in the first post. All of the replies, comments and thoughts have been well considered, polite and well humored. Yes Mo Murphy, I am specifically talking to you Rolling with laughter

Again this shows why this is one of the best forums I have come across and as others have said, and I will second, this is down to Martins hard work and fine management.
Post #864977 2nd Nov 2020 3:25pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
2020Defender Lives Matter.

I like that they're on here. When they become something I can afford to buy (outright) I'll be owning one.
Post #864983 2nd Nov 2020 4:08pm
Tim in Scotland

Well at least those who don’t want to buy a new one and might buy a used “new” one in a few years will know that they have a valuable resource to refer to to find out what issues to look out for, what cures there might be and which dealers/traders to avoid when hunting around - just like we all do for the more senior vehicles called Defender and Series - and they won’t need to sign up to a new forum to get that info/advice.
I don’t read the sub-sections of the forum for Pumas , Series,V8’s and 130’s etc but I don’t also wish that they weren’t here - I open them occasionally and click on the “Mark Read” button and go - I might need to refer to them sometime in the future should I go that route. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #864994 2nd Nov 2020 5:01pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Hi all, I just wanted to acknowledge this thread and I will get back with my comments when I have a chance to read all the comments.

That notwithstanding, I stand by my earlier comments - this site was ORIGINALLY intended for the next gen Defender but it took 13 years to arrive so the forum ended up well established for the "classic" model. I'm not going to unwind that Smile

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post841719.html#841719

I'm really short of time at the moment, so again once I have some time I have a plan to get a site up and running for the 2020 Defender and transition discussion over to there.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #864996 2nd Nov 2020 5:16pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slideywindows

England 
I hope the 2020 vehicle with the wrong badge on, eventually gets its own forum.
Post #865009 2nd Nov 2020 5:58pm
Dave S

Northern Ireland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Take a look at the Full Fat RR forum - the Classic is about as far removed from the L405 as it is possible to be but they co-exist on the same forum. To my mind the world would be a bloody boring place if we all thought the same and drove the same vehicles - the new Defender might not be to everybody's taste but live and let live - I'm with Greenie on this one - as soon as I can justify one I'll have one. I love all things Land Rover - I also love Land Cruisers of which I've had a few. Just for a moment forget about the price, how it looks, etc - it's got a Green Oval on the front, it's a Land Rover - I think we can all share this great forum - to everybody's benefit.
Post #865054 2nd Nov 2020 8:04pm
Dave S

Northern Ireland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Apologies for the rant. Just can't see why we can't co-exist.
Post #865055 2nd Nov 2020 8:04pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
Really good discussion here.

The FFRR forum and the D3/4.co.uk are great examples of Martins sites working well to cater for different variants of the same model. The D5 is the one example that I think shows how not to do it and would (like with the FFRR) have been much more successful embedded in the disco sites.

I would vote to leave the site as one, over time people will settle into it. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #865059 2nd Nov 2020 8:11pm
Jerry

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
I too would like to see it as one site but with subsections in the 2020 Defender part for technical and maintenance etc. Other sections should allow everyone to post Eg what you did today and defenders and dogs. So a bit of a re-jig (if possible). The number of 2020 defender posts will settle down once the technical gremlins are resolved Rolling Eyes
Note - I wouldn’t buy one but I have enjoyed learning about them and hearing from our colleagues in the USA! It’s been refreshing!
Post #865098 2nd Nov 2020 10:19pm
L110CDL

England 
This thread is a good read and will continue reading it Thumbs Up

No comment for now. 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #865113 2nd Nov 2020 11:06pm
Rashers

Come on Clayton, that's just sitting on the fence Rolling with laughter
Post #865115 2nd Nov 2020 11:13pm
L110CDL

England 
I'm not sitting on any fence Rashers as i have my opinion and will put it on here when i'm ready to Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #865121 2nd Nov 2020 11:23pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
I think it is a problem caused in part by habits of interaction. I usually look at the forum on my mobile, a couple of times a day (ish) and selected Active Threads. Of late a lot of them are to do with the new Defender which makes sense, but holds no interest for me, in the same way I don’t find Amanda Holden remotely attractive but would cross the road to speak to Liz Hurley. Each to their own.

If there was a way to exclude the 2020 Def threads I would use it, but if not it’s not the end of the world. It is still a great and inclusive forum 👍
Post #865124 2nd Nov 2020 11:31pm
Rashers

L110CDL wrote:
I'm not sitting on any fence Rashers as i have my opinion and will put it on here when i'm ready to Thumbs Up

Fair comment Clayton Very Happy
Post #865125 2nd Nov 2020 11:35pm
L90Andy

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 SW Zambezi Silver
Here's my thoughts; I discovered this forum while searching for clever, well thought through and tasteful mods to the Puma Defenders. Something I then feel I contributed to when I wrote my own Puma 110 thread.
I then swapped my 110 for an older '84 Ninety and at the time wondered if people would be as interested in a thread on that, turns out they weren't as apart from the usual reliable contributors I was mainly talking to myself.
I've since sold that Ninety on, but actually I've got yet another one tucked away in the garage being fettled into shape, however I won't be doing a thread on that this time round because it's an '89 so previous experience says not much interest.
But the main reason I don't contribute much anymore is because of the behaviour and attitude of the 'classic' owners towards the new vehicle. I'm a big fan of all shapes and sizes of Land Rover and won't ever have the opportunity to own most of them, but the sheer variety of models means there's one for everyone and no two are the same. The new Defender continues this and should be welcomed as it's keeping the company and the name going. I'm saying this not just because I've been personally involved in its development but as a LR fan its brilliant to get something back out to the world that inspires a new group of owners. I'm just bored of the whole "Pretender", "Not designed for farmers" BS that seems to derail most threads here now. I used my Puma Defender for robust and practical family transport, carrying various loads from logs to bikes and generally being content that it was the most capable in its class off road if required, again all that applies to the new Defender. I'm very glad the new one isn't able to be a cherry picker or whatever else as it would be compromised for what I want it to be.
So, I'll be driving a new one, hopefully sooner or later, to replace my daily Discovery 5 (which is also a brilliant modern interpretation of LR values) but I'm also glad I've got the '89 classic tucked away in the garage in case I ever feel the need to carry a dead sheep around while having deep conversations about birmabright and rivets.

In terms of forum management, I generally click on the 'New Posts' header on each visit. I guess if I didn't want to get an overview of what's going on and wanted to find out about a specific thing I'd just go directly to that section. Not hard to avoid the bits you don't want to see.
PS, thanks to Martin for his management of all his forums, they are a great resource Thumbs Up Instagram: l90andy

2006 Land Rover 90 TD5 CSW Silver Edition

My 1984 Ninety: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56071.html - SOLD!
My 2015 Defender: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39625.html - SOLD!
Post #865180 3rd Nov 2020 11:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>