↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 modifications
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
ChasingOurTrunks

For what it's worth, DEF fluid has been around for a long time here in Canada. Diesel vehicles are far more popular in the west, where they are frequently sold in half-ton pickups (light duty trucks). I only know a little bit about it, but it's basically just distilled water and urea.

So, don't just put water in your DEF tank if you run out in the woods -- pee in it too!

All jokes aside though, this stuff does freeze at about -12C and requires an engineered solution to deal with it, because it will expand when frozen and rupture stuff. I just did a quick read through, and Cummins recommends that a vehicle be turned off, but with the key still in the 'on' position for 60 seconds (i.e. don't turn the equipment totally off, just stop the motor from mote-ing). They say this gives the DEF a chance to drain back into the holding tank, and if you don't do this, it can expand and freeze and potentially rupture lines (whereas the tanks are designed for this expansion). And if it's frozen, the DEF system is designed with heaters which thaw it pretty quickly. According to one source, both the Urea and the Water thaw at the same rate to ensure your mix is appropriate.

Knowing that the Defender is sort of "always on", I am wondering if they automagically let the DEF flow back into the tank to support cold weather operation. But, the main point of me chiming in is that there are thousands of diesel passenger vehicles here in Canada that routinely hit -40 Celsius, and all of them use DEF without a problem, so I imagine JLR has a way to do it too.
Post #857783 24th Sep 2020 12:35am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Interesting to read that Adblu is actually still with us because car makers colluded.

EU fines VW and BMW £750m for colluding with Daimler on fumes

"The EU has fined Volkswagen and BMW €875m (£750m) after finding that the German carmakers colluded with another rival, the Mercedes-Benz owner Daimler, to delay emissions-cleaning technology.

The European Commission said that the carmakers had “breached EU antitrust rules by colluding on technical development in the area of nitrogen oxide cleaning”.

Volkswagen, the world’s largest manufacturer of cars, will pay €502m, a reduction of more than half the original fine because it cooperated with the investigation. BMW will pay €372m, far lower than the provision for well over €1bn that it had initially made. Daimler escaped without a fine because it had revealed the cartel to the commission.

The commission’s latest announcement said that the carmakers had also worked together over a period of five years to delay more efficient technology to remove nitrogen oxides by adding urea (a chemical found in mammals’ urine that is sold as “AdBlue”) to exhaust gases. While the process dramatically lowers diesel emissions, it lowers the performance of the engines.

Daimler, BMW and Volkswagen, plus VW’s Audi and Porsche brands, exchanged information on AdBlue tank sizes, meaning they did not have to worry about competing with each other on having cleaner engines, the commission said.

Margrethe Vestager, the commission’s powerful executive vice-president in charge of competition policy, said: “The five car manufacturers Daimler, BMW, Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche possessed the technology to reduce harmful emissions beyond what was legally required under EU emission standards."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/20...r-on-fumes

Last edited by Supacat on 9th Jul 2021 5:16pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #911545 9th Jul 2021 6:56am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Saw this on FB, what a mint installation!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/6862732818...713598715/

"12v setup including a lithium battery with a redarc 2000 inverter. Redvision along with the switchpros in the sunglasses panel means I can use either to control most of the devices. Can also jump start the vehicle from the 2nd battery also. Lots of charging points, including the ability to put in the solar from the roof rack. Dashcam install was clean. Most of the wiring was done via the back right and through the factory grommets. GME UHF and Redarc TowPro install in clean locations also. Happy with the results. Both light bars can be switched between a high and low setting depending on what I'm using it for. Custom fabrication to hold the 12v panel was made by making a mould of one of the existing compartments to make it look the same. Only difference is swapping the existing temp control knob to a bit lower! Table mounted to the door also for cooking etc. Used existing floor also." --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #911555 9th Jul 2021 8:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123