↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 modifications
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
blackwolf wrote:
Given that DEF is mainly deionised water with a hint of urea, plus some gunk to make it blue, would it do any damage to top up the tank with water if caught short in the wild?

On a trip that far north I'd be concerned about the DEF tank freezing (or is it heated)?

Fair point. Plus if there are ROW spec models without adblue can the system be turned off via ecu programming and clamping a few hoses? Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #857539 23rd Sep 2020 6:13am
RDR

United Kingdom 
On other land rover models the def system monitors the temperature and avoids using it when it’s freezing there must be some get out clause in the policy. Came up on LR forums when when DEF system came out people were very concerned about it freezing up. I know my D4 ran fine for days at -10 or more without any warning lights or bongs. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten

Last edited by RDR on 23rd Sep 2020 7:52am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #857542 23rd Sep 2020 6:40am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Interesting to see that Matzker has already developed remaps for the diesel engines. --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #857550 23rd Sep 2020 7:34am
Tim in Scotland

The engines have been in use in D5, RRS, Evoque and Discovery Sport for getting on for 4 years now so I would ask what took them so long! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #857555 23rd Sep 2020 7:59am
L90Andy

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 SW Zambezi Silver
blackwolf wrote:
Given that DEF is mainly deionised water with a hint of urea, plus some gunk to make it blue, would it do any damage to top up the tank with water if caught short in the wild?

On a trip that far north I'd be concerned about the DEF tank freezing (or is it heated)?

I've always wondered that too. Its a colourless fluid though so not acutally blue, I think that's a marketing term when to signify its green credentials things were called Blue, Bluemotion etc Confused
Any yes, the pump module on the bottom of the tank (Bosch supplied IIRC) contains a heating element to prevent freeze in cold weather climates. Instagram: l90andy

2006 Land Rover 90 TD5 CSW Silver Edition

My 1984 Ninety: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56071.html - SOLD!
My 2015 Defender: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39625.html - SOLD!
Post #857569 23rd Sep 2020 9:24am
Tim in Scotland

Would you need DEF if you had a Russian / Ukrainian spec Diesel engined Defender? IE in those markets are DPF’s required? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #857582 23rd Sep 2020 10:17am
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
blackwolf wrote:

I had thought about using water as well. From the internet it is circa 68% de-mineralised water anyway. Did a few searches and came up with a few posts indicating that using just water would work in an emergency but eventually the system would object as the particle filter wouldn't clear and the adblue injector system could get clogged if water with a high mineral content was used.

That being said, if my engine refused to start in the middle of nowhere, either because I hadn't got any spare Adblue with me or I'd put a hole in the tank, I'd use water in preference to a long walk or death!!
Post #857591 23rd Sep 2020 11:57am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
L90Andy wrote:
Any yes, the pump module on the bottom of the tank (Bosch supplied IIRC) contains a heating element to prevent freeze in cold weather climates.

Is the tank only heated when the ignition is on? Can it freeze overnight and if so, what happens? Since Adblue (possibly "Adclear" would be a better name) is mainly water I presume it expands as it freezes, so is a ruptured tank a risk on a seriously cold morning?
Post #857595 23rd Sep 2020 12:10pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
From a bit of general reading on Adblue on the web it would seem that the systems are designed to cope with freezing. It would make sense as vehicles parked for extended periods in the cold wouldn't have enough battery power to keep running a tank heater.

The injection pump and lines are designed to be purged when the vehicle is shut down and the heater/s kick in once the vehicle is started. With a freezing point of -10.5 C it must be a fairly common event for the stuff to freeze for days on end in vehicles parked up in many areas of Europe and beyond.

Whether JLR have done a good job on the installation is another matter!!!! I presume they will be using existing technology and suppliers for the kit, so there is some hope.
Post #857637 23rd Sep 2020 2:50pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
G4R1 wrote:
That’s true, but for a range of 6000miles it requires 20l of adblue, so for a trip of 12000 miles only 2 jerrycans is required, which can easily be stored on the roof racks.
The standard tank only provides a range of around 500-550miles on good roads, the reason why I need a larger/additional fuel tank is Im planing to drive to Dikson in Russia (73°30' N) and I have been told by the organisers that I will need additional fuel tank as the engine will be running 24/7, even if you are not driving you can’t switch of the engine.

Adblue is one question - but a much bigger one here would be DPF regen strategy and to make sure that the DPF is capable of remaining clear and has a cleaning strategy that allows it to idle for extended periods of time. Given experience with other vehicles.... that's not the case. Most modern vehicles will also only idle for short periods before they give you a warning on the cluster that says "engine stopping in 30 seconds, press to cancel". It's done for both DPF reasons, but also to make sure you can't park the car in your garage, and leave it running and polute the house with exhaust gases.

No idea what the strategies are in the new defender, but they'd both need answering before you took the vehicle and needed it to run and idle overnight constantly.
Post #857641 23rd Sep 2020 3:06pm
Tim in Scotland

That comment about switching off automatically is quite interesting because last week I parked near a Jaguar FPace that had been parked up and left with its diesel engine running and nobody around claimed ownership, it was still running 2 hours later when I came back to my car! All that diesel going to waste, all the pollution from the exhaust and what damage had they done to the DPF because with the car stationary it wouldn’t carry out any regen cycle just idling for several hours. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #857656 23rd Sep 2020 4:39pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Certainly other makes will do the shut off after extended idle.

I've not had a recent "modern" JLR product to know if they do the same. But I know i couldn't do that in my current road car. It would shut down after 30 minutes.

Static and idle based regeneration is technically possible, but just nowhere near as robust as a driven vehicles capability to regenerate. The question is whether after that very long period idling you'd generate sufficient soot over time to exceed the vehicles capability to regenerate at idle, especially given the super low temperatures. My guess is its not capable.
Post #857662 23rd Sep 2020 5:05pm
Tim in Scotland

The new Defender has a remote engine start facility from the LR Remote app but that will only allow the engine to run for 30 minutes before shutting it down again. I’m surprised that they are allowed to give us this facility in view of many locations having regulations for sitting stopped with the engine prolonged running/idling in an attempt to reduce emissions pollution Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #857668 23rd Sep 2020 5:46pm
G4R1

United Kingdom 
Matt110 wrote:
G4R1 wrote:
That’s true, but for a range of 6000miles it requires 20l of adblue, so for a trip of 12000 miles only 2 jerrycans is required, which can easily be stored on the roof racks.
The standard tank only provides a range of around 500-550miles on good roads, the reason why I need a larger/additional fuel tank is Im planing to drive to Dikson in Russia (73°30' N) and I have been told by the organisers that I will need additional fuel tank as the engine will be running 24/7, even if you are not driving you can’t switch of the engine.

Adblue is one question - but a much bigger one here would be DPF regen strategy and to make sure that the DPF is capable of remaining clear and has a cleaning strategy that allows it to idle for extended periods of time. Given experience with other vehicles.... that's not the case. Most modern vehicles will also only idle for short periods before they give you a warning on the cluster that says "engine stopping in 30 seconds, press to cancel". It's done for both DPF reasons, but also to make sure you can't park the car in your garage, and leave it running and polute the house with exhaust gases.

No idea what the strategies are in the new defender, but they'd both need answering before you took the vehicle and needed it to run and idle overnight constantly.

Valid points. Will have to do some research on that.
Post #857673 23rd Sep 2020 6:10pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Urban have wheels and shiny bolt on bits for the new Defender.
Not all on their site but should be soon https://houseofurban.co.uk/collections/defender-2020 WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #857770 23rd Sep 2020 10:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>