↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender Electronics & Infotainment System
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
chewkee24

United States 
2020 Defender Electronics & Infotainment System
Hi, new to the group. Ordered my new Defender back in the winter, scheduled delivery date of last week of Sept. 2020 or first week of October. I am located in NJ, USA.

Any 2020 Defender owners out there (more specifically in North America)?

I saw this in depth review video, albeit it's in Russian there are subtitles, the electronics & infotainment system he shows at 25:40 - 32:00 looks like a royal piece of s***. This is the only video review I've seen with such problems so I'm hoping it's either just his review vehicle or localized to Russian speaking countries...regardless, has anyone encountered these glitches thus far that can validate these claims?

Post #851964 25th Aug 2020 6:21pm
Tim in Scotland

There’s not much wrong with the infotainment. I’ve been using mine for nearly 3 months and have no complaints - it’s light years better than the previous system, also better than the BMW system I had in my Mini Countryman in every respect except one - the “mouse” system that BMW use is so simple to use and you don’t need to take your eyes off the view out of the windscreen to operate it unlike the PiviPro which is a pity as it is a good system apart from that. Not had any glitches however some people who have the optional WiFi hotspot in the car have had issues with that. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #851992 25th Aug 2020 8:20pm
Gladstone

United States 
I have a new Defender which I bought in New Jersey (Parsippany) - I got it 2 weeks ago and have driven it about 900 miles so far. on the first day, the screen went blank and I panicked that it was a dud - but I locked it, left it for 10 minutes and it came back on. Here's a few things that I have noticed.....
1) When I leave the car and DON'T lock it, then go back to it, say a few hours later, the infotainment system is a bit wonky.....however, if you lock it (hit the lock twice until you hear the horn) and go back, it seems to work fine.
2) I wonder if some of the problems with the infotainment system is that it has to be online - and in a place where there is signal - and if there is not, sometimes it seems to get "confused" - and will say "Good Evening" when you turn it on...even though it is in the morning....but it rectifies itself fairly quickly.
Pretty small quirks.
Other than that, so far, it has been really fun - I have taken it off road one some good rough roads and it is amazing - similarly, it is great fun and super comfortable for driving on long road trips. The interior is fab and the exterior is much better in person than in pictures. Mine is ALL black and I think the bolder colors suit it. I grew up with old Land Rover Defenders, spent many, many hours in the front and back with wet dogs, guns, sheep etc. and was never a fan - but I totally respect people who think they were great! I follow the Italian designer of the new Defender on Instagram and think that JLR did a good job with the whole thing - let's see! Who knows.
Post #853488 1st Sep 2020 12:46am
chewkee24

United States 
Awesome, thanks for that!! Glad you like it. I also ordered mine from JLR Parsippany. Mine is going to be white. Just got my update today, expected ETA of 9/25. Can’t wait!!
Post #853489 1st Sep 2020 3:34am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Gladstone wrote:
I follow the Italian designer of the new Defender on Instagram

Who is that?
Post #853533 1st Sep 2020 9:23am
J77

Scotland 
The only one I can think of is Massimo Frascella, he’s LRs Design director.
Post #853536 1st Sep 2020 9:41am
Gladstone

United States 
That's the one.
Post #853584 1st Sep 2020 1:28pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Right, there's a good video knocking about with him and his team explaining the various challenges with the new Defender.
Post #853611 1st Sep 2020 3:37pm
Buz1500

United Kingdom 
Hi, I have a new Defender and I’ve completed just over 1,500 miles. I’ve had no issues with the Infotainment system during that time.
Post #853621 1st Sep 2020 4:28pm
The Milkman

England 
Over here in the UK I have a 240D S and it has a blank white screen for the Sat Nav, no Sat Nav voice, an adaptive speed limiter that thinks our National Speed Limit is 117mph and turns itself off randomly, Auto High Beam also turns itself off randomly, I am sure there should be some weather app or something, no safety camera warnings either..... Still love it but it needs sorting Shocked
Post #853653 1st Sep 2020 6:32pm
The Milkman

England 
Am I the only one with these particular problems 😕
Post #853864 2nd Sep 2020 5:00pm
Tim in Scotland

Milkman I think you need to take the car back to the dealership for sorting out. As soon as you get into the car and press the start button the system should start with a greeting before booting up to your set layout. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #853886 2nd Sep 2020 7:28pm
The Milkman

England 
Hi Tim, dealership is next weeks job to do, fortunately I get the Welcome screen....just none of the items I listed....also the microphone/button does nothing.....really can take the shine off a new vehicle, all the best Andy
Post #853895 2nd Sep 2020 8:16pm
Tim in Scotland

Tell me, mine is waiting for new A pillar trims (arrived today at the dealers after 6 weeks on back orde) which is a TSB, a second attempt to fix water ingress through the offside rear passenger door and a cure for an annoying rattle in the driver’s door or B pillar which the dealer thought they had fixed when they had the car for 3 days in early July. The earliest the dealership can rake my car is 21st September even though they now have the bits needed for the jobs in stock.
There have been reports in here that disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes has cured some of the info screen boot up issues - especially the inability to turn on the radio and adjust the volume - might be worth a try to see if it fixes what appears to be a boot-up problem. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #853918 2nd Sep 2020 9:03pm
J77

Scotland 
I’m hoping they get these issues fixed by the time my 90 arrives, if not they can keep it. Had enough software issues with the Velar, took about 1 1/2 years to get them fixed. It done an over the air update the other day and it’s done away with the ability to use the knob to control the TR setting, now it makes things more difficult to change settings.
Post #853923 2nd Sep 2020 9:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>