↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender Electronics & Infotainment System
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Defdan

Scotland 
Completely understand, especially re the engine - I am feeling xxxxx furious about that. I take mine back to the dealer - Pentland Edinburgh - for the third time this week. Even that was not easy; when they failed to fix the low battery warning the first time I emailed to arrange to a second go, but it then took two further emails without a response and a phone call (when I was left waitimg for 20 minutes for someone to answer) before being able to fix a return date. My last two cars were a BMW and an Audi - first class service; sales team called a week or so later to see how I was getting on, emails and calls dealt with promptly, collection and delivery, and Audi even sent post-service videos (an LR technician told me LR service departments are supposed to do the same, but I have not got one). LR'S attitude to customer complaints reminds me of a comment about Ryanair service - "What the xxxxx do you want?"
Post #856078 14th Sep 2020 9:22pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Zed wrote:
Oh well, at least it's somebody elses problem now.

Well will be when the dealer offloads it to a new unsuspecting owner ~ I wonder what they will say to any potential buyers regarding it's history?
Post #856083 14th Sep 2020 9:34pm
Defdan

Scotland 
Just got an email from LR asking me to complete a survey on my dealer service experience - it will be interesting to see how LR responds to my frank views on the dealer and LR'S ditching the 2 litre diesel, not that I expect anything positive to come of it.
Post #856085 14th Sep 2020 9:44pm
Defdan

Scotland 
Supacat - I have had a few secondhand LRs - always ask for the complete maintenance record!
Post #856086 14th Sep 2020 9:46pm
Jerry

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
The Milkman wrote:
Why was the 4 cyl 2.0 engine discontinued, there will be a reason and if you don’t know can you find out….

Can you elaborate on this? Can who find out? Are you saying there is a known fault??? Thanks
Post #856095 14th Sep 2020 10:50pm
The Milkman

England 
Hi Jerry, sorry for misleading/worrying..... the paragraph I first wrote was an email as sent to Landrover... I don't know anything but there must be a reason.....
Post #856098 14th Sep 2020 10:54pm
Jerry

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
I see. Thanks. & sorry to hear about your experience - makes me appreciate my simple non-gizmo defender
Post #856099 14th Sep 2020 11:08pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
The I6 engines were always planned for 21MY, there are copies of documents around the release showing the progression of model variants etc over the years. Having it replace the 2.0 diesel completely and for basically the same price is odd though.

The communication it would seem hasn’t been great, the dealer my order is with had apparently heard nothing about it when I phoned up to ask to change it to the new model. Personally I’m not convinced as they have a motive to not inform people so that they can sell all their 2.0 stock cars.

I’m sure though that they will find enough people who are so desperate to have one that they can’t bear to wait a few months.
Post #856100 14th Sep 2020 11:21pm
J77

Scotland 
Nothing wrong with the 4 cylinder engine, it’s been around for a while. I’ve ran it in my Velar for almost 3 years and it’s been faultless.

The new 6 cylinder, as said, was always destined for the Defender. I guess the 20MY Defender was a way of using up the surplus of 4 cylinder engines?
Post #856103 15th Sep 2020 5:27am
Supacat

Retroanaconda wrote:
The I6 engines were always planned for 21MY, there are copies of documents around the release showing the progression of model variants etc over the years.

Can you point us in the right direction to find these docs?

The issues indicated above are just the sort of stuff class action lawsuits are made for in the US:

"The lawsuit against Subaru claims that there is a problem with the Starlink infotainment system developed by Harman International. Drivers reported that the screens would black out or the backup cameras would freeze. In some cases, the main head unit would eventually fail completely."

" Multiple owners have also taken part in a class-action lawsuit for battery problems, according to Car Complaints. Court documents details that the batteries inside Subaru Outbacks and Ascents die too quickly, requiring multiple replacements. Both of these lawsuits haven’t been settled yet and Subaru hasn’t issued any recalls over these problems."

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/subaru-owners...g-problem/
Post #856106 15th Sep 2020 6:32am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
It was on one of the Facebook groups, where there has been much wailing and gnashing of teeth from 2.0l engine owners.
Post #856112 15th Sep 2020 7:51am
Defdan

Scotland 
Class action law suit - now there is an idea. Selling something new as the best, etc. knowing you are going to shortly ditch it and cause buyers a significant loss in value - I can think of a number of law firms that might take that on.
Post #856115 15th Sep 2020 8:00am
Supacat

Retroanaconda wrote:
It was on one of the Facebook groups, where there has been much wailing and gnashing of teeth from 2.0l engine owners.

Right Thumbs Up

I was just trying to cast my mind back to the leaked release documents, and I couldn't remember anything about new engines in such a short time frame.

In fact the only things I have read about is that MY21 changes were actually delayed:

"Yes, so there’s two pieces to this. I’ll talk to the £2.5 billion first. So, when we announced year end numbers on the 15th of June, we talked about the programs that we hadn’t paused, Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, Defender, Defender 90. So, the £2.5 billion guidance is mostly as a result of those programs continuing but everything else we were working on, so MLA MID, XJ BEV, new Range Rover BEV, 2021 model years we delayed. They were due to come out after shutdown in August, September. They’ll now be October, November. So it really is our inability to have worked those programs through the height of the isolation periods."

(Adrian Mardell (CFO, Jaguar Land Rover) - Q1 Fiscal Year 2020/21 Results Call Transcript)
Post #856123 15th Sep 2020 9:00am
Supacat

Land Rover Defender infotainment system tops 2020 UX scores
Apparently this is a thing.

Nick Rogers (@NickRogersJLR) Tweeted:
Awesome to see our new Pivi Pro infotainment system recognised this week 👍

Using SOTA, we can keep updating Pivi Pro with the latest features/upgrades - always on, always connected and always up to date.

@Jaguar @LandRover #infotainment #connected

https://t.co/jLK4mzXYwV https://t.co/OInzgWpcCJ https://twitter.com/NickRogersJLR/status/1311263285405196291?s=20

"Land Rover Defender infotainment system tops 2020 UX scores to date

In September 2020, SBD Automotive carried out its infotainment expert usability evaluation of the Land Rover Defender cockpit in the UK. Launched earlier this year, the Defender fills the gap left by the previous utilitarian model, but is a very different proposition far more in line with the rest of Land Rover’s luxury offering. It’s also the first JLR vehicle to be fitted with new Pivi Pro infotainment system.

The system features a central 10-inch landscape display and a 12.3-inch instrument cluster. The central display is mounted at the front of a concave cubby that runs right across from the passenger side to the cluster. While visually pleasing, it is somewhat low in everyday driving, slightly increasing time with eyes-off-the-road. Beneath the display is a rotary/button panel with controls for HVAC and driving dynamics.

First impressions are extremely good. Minute attention has been paid to the graphical interface, resulting in a system with an ultra-premium visual appearance, a contemporary look and feel, multiple micro-interactions, and great use of colour (including slate and copper), imagery, virtual materials such as brushed metal, and attractive stylised iconography. A tessellated triangle motif is used throughout which brings together the foreground and background elements.

The information architecture has been simplified: gone are the top status bar and app-laden menu bar running the full width of the screen, instead replaced with a small vertical bar either side. Only three main apps are available from the home screen: navigation, phone and media including radio. An apps screen is accessible from a small link in the corner which offers access to all apps. Even here, the attention to detail can be seen, with the main three apps de-prioritised due to their ease of access elsewhere. This overall approach finds the perfect balance between a system that appears feature-rich and one that is over-simplified.

A further benefit of the removal of the upper and lower bars is that the full height of the screen is permanently available. The side bars are translucent, with content visible behind giving the overall impression of a larger screen than 10-inches. Additionally, scrolling and search input have been optimised to overcome the previous system’s problems of little or no visible content while completing an action.

The navigation implementation is extremely effective, with a fast and well-optimised POI/destination search that prioritises results intelligently and demonstrates good error correction. Maps are attractive and traffic and road information was all up to date when tested, even for very temporary road closures. Unusually, due to the fact that Android Auto/CarPlay are not able to run full-screen, the native mapping solution is far preferable to smartphone mirroring options, frequently found to be much better than native navigation in other systems.

Click image to enlarge

However, not every element of the system sees an improvement. The HVAC implementation is similar to that in the Velar, but as it lacks the touchscreen much of the dynamism is lost, leaving it confusing and fiddly to operate with multiple functions allocated to the rotaries and some control spilling onto the central display.

Voice recognition is not good: it’s the one element that appears to have made it across from Touch Pro pretty much unchanged. The system relies on set phrases, has no barge-in, wake word or ability to handle compound or contextual queries, and also appears to lack connectivity. Recognition is poor, and it functions ineffectively to give frequent unintended results or complete failures to complete the task. This is likely to fall well below user expectations and see very little use.

Layout and operation of the instrument cluster is mostly well executed with successful distribution of information and a large degree of customisation including full-screen map view. Interaction, however, is hindered by a poorly conceived menu structure which has multiple levels to navigate and a confusing combination of left and up clicks to climb back to the top before it can be closed.

Overall, the system feels modern, fast, pleasing to use and consistent with a premium vehicle, giving far more of a smartphone-like experience than any other system tested this year. With fixes to the niggles, all relatively minor, the system would be likely to meet the expectations of the majority of JLR customers.

About SBD Automotive's UX evaluations:

The ​Defender UX report is the ​sixth in a series of 12 infotainment expert user experience evaluations SBD Automotive is carrying out this year. These reports have been produced for several years and provide an expert evaluation of the leading navigation and infotainment systems in the European, US, Chinese and Japanese markets. The series has four main objectives, aimed at supporting clients at various stages of the development cycle: Benchmark and score, Define areas of concern, Outline best practice and Provide tangible recommendations. For these studies, SBD Automotive evaluates the three core components of user experience: functionality, ergonomics and usability, to ensure a fair score can be provided across each system evaluated.

The reports rely on a robust methodology that has been developed over the lifetime of the series. It captures over 1,000 data points across 12 different disciplines including static and dynamic testing, system performance, a feature checklist and SUS scoring (see charts) to build a data set that can be consistently benchmarked against all competitor cars, including an overall final percentage system UX score."

https://www.sbdautomotive.com/en/defender-...ajgrIn0%3D
Post #859050 1st Oct 2020 6:24am
Tim in Scotland

I’m having a Spudfan moment trying to read that article............. “virtual materials such as brushed metals” errrr what’s one of them? So many big words I suspect the author was being paid on big words word count..... why didn’t he just say most of it is very good but some of it is pretty crap compared to the latest BMW and Mercedes systems. Yes that’s the voice recognition that’s as bad as it always was in JLR cars, I have no problem being understood by Chinese, Indians, Russians, Ukranians and Filipinos who I used to work with but I’ve never been able to communicate with any JLR voice recognition system. Oddly I had no language barrier with my Mini Countryman’s voice system, it worked perfectly 1st time, every time. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #859065 1st Oct 2020 8:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>