↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Site News & Feedback > New defender and the forum
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
New defender and the forum
Ok here goes, this isn’t meant to cause inflammatory comments or become a thread where we have a go at each other, this is purely my thoughts and not being derogatory to this forum or Martin Bow down

We have to accept times change and the new defender has arrived whether we are fans or not of it.

From a really personal point of view I joined this forum to seek advice on the Puma that I purchased, I have met some amazing people here, had such great advice given and hope I may have helped others in some small way during my short time here.

I check the forum several times daily and enjoy it very much, yes we will always have minor disagreements but it’s a great friendly place to exchange knowledge and admire each other’s Defenders but I have to confess and this isn’t meant to cause antagonism here but it feels to me the forum is becoming overwhelmed with the new defender, which if you have one I’m sure you are happy with it but to me it feels as if the forum is going slightly off tangent or perhaps it’s just me?

I just felt I would put my thoughts out there and see if it’s just me? Please let’s not get get personal over this, I’m happy to know others thoughts. 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #864835 1st Nov 2020 8:46pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
I certainly get where you're coming from. But folks do love controversy. Personally I don't even check the 2020 Defender section anymore. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #864838 1st Nov 2020 8:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
Couldn’t agree more and no, you’re not the only one thinking exactly the same. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #864841 1st Nov 2020 9:11pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
I noticed the other day I logged on and the top few posts were for the 2020 defender...

but just like the TV, I don't have to open them I guess Smile

they are new and people are I guess joining to ask questions and seeing what accessories fit them etc. ooh and posting pictures, I like to see these Smile

I actually like Tim's posts as he has a new one but kept the proper one also, so good to get his view on things.

At the end of the day its a Defender forum, possibly more misleading to new owners searching the net as its Defender 2 so could be seen as a 'new' forum for the new models.

I post in the series part with my other car so I guess its the same really with people joining with Defenders and Pumas..they may not want to look at these posts?

I still enjoy the forum and enjoy the mixture of posts even though quite a few now have moved to the likes of facebook. Thumbs Up
Post #864843 1st Nov 2020 9:18pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
Its one of the best forums, it has suffered a little since the 2020 was launched (which is the reason I am on here). I think it will settle down though, the sister site disco3.co.uk went through some issues with the D4 launch with a lot of debate as to setting up a separate section etc. it went even further with the d5.

People have strong opinions on this subject at the moment, over time I do think it will settle just like the other sites and people will just read the sections they are interested in. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #864844 1st Nov 2020 9:22pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I've quite enjoyed reading about the 2020 and judging by the comments I'm glad I haven't ordered one! I do think that the 2020 is a different animal and bears no resemblance to the Series or the iconic Defender and therefore I would like to see the 2020 migrate to a separate forum. Let's face it we have enough problems with the Puma without hearing all about the software problems on the 2020 Rolling with laughter Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #864850 1st Nov 2020 9:42pm
AndyT66

England 2004 Defender 90 2.5 TD XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I have thought about this subject but for me if it's a Defender it belongs on this forum no mater what year it was manufactured. I would however like to see a few more of the new ones appearing in "dogs and defenders" pictures section. It's about time our trusty old friends had their pictures on the bonnets, hanging out the passenger window and ones with muddy paws in the back. Dog Thumbs Up
Post #864851 1st Nov 2020 9:43pm
Nidge

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Agree with Sulisuli, I'm on this forum since the start and I know Martins original intention was that this forum was intended for the new defender which didn't arrive until recently.

But there is such a hugh distance between the new and old I feel the new defender needs its own section.

Judging by the new daily posts alot of the original defender owners are losing interest and in my opinion the forum sadly isn't what it once was.... Sad

N.
Post #864854 1st Nov 2020 9:50pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
There are over 30 subsections of this forum, only 1 is related to the new Defender. Hardly being taken over?
Post #864855 1st Nov 2020 9:54pm
Darcy Fairfax

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Agree with Sulisuli.
Post #864869 1st Nov 2020 10:54pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Better get used to it and embrace the New Defender.

As soon as the councils clock how to make money out of the motorists after covid expect a free run to introduce LEZ and ULEZ zones. Look at London, they are already talking of extending the current area.

Its easy to dismiss London if you don't live there but when it lands on your own doorstep ...... Do you have a plan, i don't.

Lets enjoy the experience of others because you never know

PS, Tim in Scotland, keep up the good work. Thumbs Up
Post #864870 1st Nov 2020 10:59pm
jaygti

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I don’t bother reading any threads involving the 2020 defender any more.
But it doesn’t bother me that they’re on here either.
The original Defender threads are a bit lacking at the moment, but surely that’s the fault of us current owners. 2002 td5 90 county hardtop
Post #864873 1st Nov 2020 11:00pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Markb’s post above is the type of posts as to why D2 is being ignored by many native users and not used by many on and off for exactly that attitude.

I think most can see what I mean by this. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #864877 1st Nov 2020 11:15pm
Tim in Scotland

My 20p’s worth

I’ve been here since the start of the forum in 2007 bar one month I think. I’m also a member of RRSport, BabyRR, Disco3, FullFat and Disco5 forums either because I owned those models or was considering buying them.

When the L494 forum was started for the 2nd Gen RRS it died a death because many members wanted to continue posting in the original forum as they mostly had owned the 1st gen cars too. So it makes sense sometimes to keep everything together for quite different generations of cars with the same name but that look completely different. It also helps new members and lurkers find a single forum for all versions of the marque.

I appreciate that there are some here who wish LR had never produced the new Defender and it should be killed off or renamed but things have to advance and that was the way that LR chose to go, you accept it or you don’t. I also appreciate that we all use different ways to access the various subsections of the forum and some do it by sorting new posts from the last xx hours rather than going in through the home page to see which sections have new posts in them. If you access from the home page you can click on the 2020 section title to hide all the subsections so you don’t have to see what’s new there.

We all own or admire what are generically called Land Rovers, be they a Series1,2,3, Land Rover or Defenders and they are all catered for by Martin’s set up of the forum. Lets all live in harmony and respect that what appeals to one member might be a total turn off to another but let’s not slag each other off for what we own/ drive.

It could be worse - LR could have built a Kahn style Defender to replace the old style models............ we don’t seem to see many owners of Kahn conversions joining up, probably because they see the bile posted about their cars on this “Defender” forum. Yet those are still Defenders, just remodelled - they do seem to sell well too despite their often eye watering prices. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #864880 1st Nov 2020 11:47pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I’m with you Sulisuli Thumbs Up

I have noticed that there have been a lot or ‘regular’ contributors been very quiet on here recently which is a shame. This may or may not be due to having new Defender overload but it can’t be a coincidence.

It’s a bit disheartening when there are 9 new posts and eight are 2020 Defender related. I do read some of the posts. I am amazed how much people are willing to put up with after spending what I consider to be a small fortune on a new car for it to not work as it should. I must say you are very easily pleased. I would have be spitting out nails Laughing
Post #864881 2nd Nov 2020 12:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>