↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Back
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Back
I’m getting my 300tdi pick up back on Monday. It has been leaking all manner of fluids over the drive, steering fluid and oil mostly and I was getting ear ache about it. Turns out the torque setting in the bolts holding the head down weren’t right and the gasket wasn’t sufficiently compressed- it slipped off when the head was lifted. Anyway, that is now sorted. The steering box is ok, just pipes being replaced. The turbo bearing were shot so it’s had a new cassette, and the timing was out. I’m expecting Ferrari like performance when I pick it up 😊

I’m thinking I might drive it to London on Saturday to take part in the protests to the US trade deal and food standards. It really Censored me off that the agricultural sector is being sold down the river despite numerous promises to hold the line. The food available to us to purchase will be forever of a lower quality if we don’t stop this deal with the US.
Sorry, rant over 🤦‍♂️
Post #836882 12th Jun 2020 8:47pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
we just got my dads car started again after it was in bits for many weeks. Thumbs Up we need to put oil in the steering system. Then bleed the lot. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #836903 13th Jun 2020 12:18am
Slideywindows

England 
Good luck on the protest to protect British food standards and farming, Huttopia.

Beats me why you actually have to protest to do that! Banging Head
Post #837046 13th Jun 2020 8:52pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I signed the NFU petition. Sadly I don't think it will make a difference but in case anyone is interested. https://www.nfuonline.com/news/latest-news...-petition/ WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #837048 13th Jun 2020 9:03pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
I agree Slidey, it seems ridiculous to need to protest to protect the standards we have today. I don’t know definitively if the protest is going ahead, I’m not able to find any details now. I imagine that the behaviour of the far right scum protesting today will lead to a cancellation anyway, too many protests, too many negative associations. A shame.
Post #837052 13th Jun 2020 9:22pm
red zepplin

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Rioja Red
Zed wrote:
I signed the NFU petition. Sadly I don't think it will make a difference but in case anyone is interested. https://www.nfuonline.com/news/latest-news...-petition/

Signed Thumbs Up WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG
My sky lantern petition
http://chng.it/HJXmZC47
Post #837055 13th Jun 2020 9:38pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I’ve just signed it as well.

I live in a rural community where farming matters.

I despair at the absolute ignorance of some people as to where our food comes from and what worries me more is the same people don’t seem to care.

If you do protest, Huttopia, try and look after yourself and keep safe. I have absolute respect for you Bow down
Post #837057 13th Jun 2020 9:58pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Signed we need to look after our farms, I would give up my works to help a farmer out with veg. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #837061 13th Jun 2020 11:39pm
yostumpy

Sadly, I do believe , that most farmers voted for Brexit, despite getting EU subsidies . So really , what happens to them, I care not. If we hadn't of left the EU, there wouldn't be this debate at all. Figure that one out. 'Volvo XC 70, taking the rough with the smooth’
Post #837069 14th Jun 2020 5:55am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Not round here, they didn’t yostumpy.

Everyone will care when there is not enough food in the Supermarket.

Part of the whole Brexit reasoning was for the UK to be self sufficient (not be reliant an imports from Johnny Foreigner), and by throwing the farmers under the wheels of a bus seems to be a strange way of achieving this?
Post #837086 14th Jun 2020 8:27am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Some did, some didn’t. This isn’t about what happens to the farmers, it’s the food on your table, and the table of future generations.
Post #837087 14th Jun 2020 8:28am
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Exactly, who the feck (apart from the yanks) thinks lashing hormones and chlorine washing are good ideas apart from allowing minimal animal stds and maximum profit........

Ultimately t will be those at the ower end of the poverty scale that will endure this the most as they won't be abelt to afford meat from more 'organic' sources......
Post #837089 14th Jun 2020 8:33am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
I got my 90 back yesterday. They’d had the engine out as the oil leak looked like it was from the crank seal. Turned out the head bolts weren’t tight, to the point the gasket wasn’t compressed / stuck to the block. She also had a new cassette in the turbo and new pipes to the steering box. She drove home really nicely and then I went out again and after about 5 miles she cut out completely and wouldn’t restart. The engine would not turn. Battery fine. That was 2 o’clock and I got home at 9.30. The RAC came out firstly to try and fix it, but that van couldn’t tow it. Then they sent another identical van a few hours later, which again couldn’t tow it. Finally at about 7.30 a recovery truck came but wouldn’t take me home, so I waited for Mrs H. A kindly soul took pity on me and invited me in for a coffee - welcome after that time.
Post #838210 19th Jun 2020 7:39am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Question - it is a 300tdi and it appears the engine turns by hand in one direction only, not the useful direction either. Any suggestions why this could be the case? It went from running well to stopped, no massive clunk, the valves are moving. Oil and water levels spot on, no leaks. Nothing obvious.

Thanks,

Huttopia.
Post #838267 19th Jun 2020 11:55am
donmacn

When you say it won't start, what's happening? As you've said the battery is OK, I'm assuming the starter is turning?

Have you checked the wire to the fuel solenoid on the fuel pump? I know my wiring was causing what seemed like misfires, but was actually wonky fuel delivery.

Apols, as I know this is a pretty basic thing. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #838322 19th Jun 2020 4:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>