↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Back
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Well this is weird. The engine was seized but with a bit of a wiggle it turned in one direction but locked up in the other. The garage checked the normal things, belts, timing and so on but nothing wrong. They removed the rocker cover and the injectors and she then turned in both directions. Nothing appeared amiss. They then put her back together and she started up and ran ‘like a Swiss watch’ which was how she sounded before she broke yesterday.

I’m leaving it with them to put some miles on to see if the issue can be replicated. I’m not technical but the garage just does LRs and has 30 plus years experience including engine building for competition etc. I have complete faith in them but they are stumped too.

There is no prize on offer but if anyone has had a similar experience please share it!
Post #838337 19th Jun 2020 7:01pm
donmacn

I certainly can't say I have any similar non-running experiences apart from the solenoid. Hopefully the garage will find something. It is weird that the engine was "seized".

Some sort of 'hydraulic' or compression lock? It surely can't be any sort of mechanical interference if it still turns one way?

I'm partly just posting again so that I can be sure I see any updates, as 'every day's a school day', but I also thought I'd ask, what was done when the engine was out? Just the head, steering pipes and turbo/manifold? Did they do timing chest/belt or oil seals? Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #838357 19th Jun 2020 8:30pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
They did adjust the timing but checked it again today and it was spot on. Other than that it was head, turbo cassette and steering box pipes. All very odd!
Post #838359 19th Jun 2020 8:45pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Oh and all the fluids, literally everything from coolant to diffs. All still fine.
Post #838361 19th Jun 2020 8:59pm
Slideywindows

England 
Did you feel you received value from your RAC subscription?

Why wouldn't the recovery truck take you home?
Post #838461 20th Jun 2020 11:07am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
No Slidey, I thought it was very poor. It’s the first and only time the 90 has broken down and they made a right hash of it. I was 10 miles from home and it took 7 hours plus and a lift from Mrs H to get there. Thinking back, the one and only time the P38 has broken down they did the same cretinous thing of sending two vehicles to recover it which were not able to do so. Someone in the office must be as thick as pig Censored .

Huttopia.
Post #838464 20th Jun 2020 11:21am
Slideywindows

England 
Food for thought.

My AA renewal, not cheap, is currently due.

I just have to hope they are better.

My RRC broke down (1st time in in 20 years) a couple of years ago, late at night).

Even though I knew they wouldn't be able to replace the alternator, they still go through the routine of sending a man with a van to you, and he has to request the AA transporter.

I was told it could be a very long wait, but I was lucky and it wasn't.

I was brought home safely by 1am.

I just need to haggle down the usual inflated renewal fee now......

300Tdi's are usually pretty bomb proof. Your problem was a strange one.

If you ever get to the bottom of it, please let us know. Thumbs Up
Post #838470 20th Jun 2020 11:32am
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Huttopia wrote:
Well this is weird. The engine was seized but with a bit of a wiggle it turned in one direction but locked up in the other. The garage checked the normal things, belts, timing and so on but nothing wrong. They removed the rocker cover and the injectors and she then turned in both directions. Nothing appeared amiss. They then put her back together and she started up and ran ‘like a Swiss watch’ which was how she sounded before she broke yesterday.

I’m leaving it with them to put some miles on to see if the issue can be replicated. I’m not technical but the garage just does LRs and has 30 plus years experience including engine building for competition etc. I have complete faith in them but they are stumped too.

There is no prize on offer but if anyone has had a similar experience please share it!

Did they take the rockers off when they took the head off?

I wonder whether one of the push-rods wasn't seated in the cup properly when they reassembled the engine (it's surprisingly easy to do) but then at some point it fell down and seated itself properly. When the engine cut out it was on-top of the lip again which might explain why you could turn it one way but not the other as it would have been butting up against the top. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #838504 20th Jun 2020 1:18pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
I’ll let you know when I do 👍
Post #838631 20th Jun 2020 11:10pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Happy days. The garage ran the pick up yesterday no problem but this morning they were just setting off on a test drive and it went pop and stopped, seized. It was the alternator. On the bench it turned then it locked then it freed then it locked. That explains the slight burning smell when the engine cut out last week. New alternator and belt and hey presto all good. They are keeping it for a few more test drives but are 100% confident that is the issue. I’m relieved and looking forward to getting her back- need the dash vents in this hot weather!!
Post #839180 23rd Jun 2020 6:26pm
donmacn

Good news!

So the seizing alternator was effectively stalling the engine? I have to say that wouldn't have been top of the list of things I'd have thought about. I might have expected the belt to slip a little, but maybe if it's new. One to file away.

it is nice to open the vents and get that breeze! Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #839209 23rd Jun 2020 7:40pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Not on top of my list either, but delighted it is fixed. I was worried it was something fundamental involving metal on metal. Phew.
Post #839214 23rd Jun 2020 7:44pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Picked her up today and I’m amazed at the difference the new cassette in the turbo has made. The gearing is quite tall, with a different transfer gearing and tall tyres 750/R/16, but the pull is just great, best in my ownership.

Here for no particular reason is a picture of the engine bay, not cleaned for the occasion, just because. A 300tdi is a beautiful thing...

Click image to enlarge
Post #839930 26th Jun 2020 7:10pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
It isn’t a K&N filter, just a bog standard one. I’ve not got around to taking the sticker off....
Post #839932 26th Jun 2020 7:11pm
Oldowner

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Aintree Green
I had a disco 300tdi do exactly the same many years ago. I had completely forgotten about it until now!
Post #839951 26th Jun 2020 9:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>