↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Lawn Mower (no sheep or goats)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Lawn Mower (no sheep or goats)
looking at getting a new mower, ideally a ride on mower, (dodgy knee, hip and back) any recommendations budget up £3k. 70% lawn is like the surface of the moon, around the house pretty good for a football field.

Very tempted by John Deere X146 but cant find under £3.3k

any recommendations on best brands/models Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #830700 12th May 2020 3:14pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Muddybigdog

Kubota (i'd put these in the Stihl category... but then again consider a Stihl)

https://kuk.kubota-eu.com/groundcare/produ...on-mowers/

https://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Products/096...owers.aspx SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #830704 12th May 2020 3:20pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
I bought a 2nd hand Kubota GR2100 11 a few years ago, having wasted money on Countach and Deere which were pretty shoddy and did not last very long cutting our 3 acres of lawn. It runs on red diesel which is a nice saving and other than an annual service has not been out of use.
I would personally go this route again . Thumbs Up 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #830706 12th May 2020 3:31pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Husqvarna gets my vote, my first one I ran for 12 years, average 6hrs cutting a week, grass in summer, leaves in autumn. Sold it for 1/3rd purchase price and bought another husqvarna. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #830744 12th May 2020 6:21pm
mini Anaconda

United Kingdom 
Get a Kubota if you can find one in budget - will go on for ever and well made.
I used a John Deere X166 for about a year which replaced a Kubota and I was not a fan. Poor build quality and did not feel up to the job. Shame as the agricultural John Deere tractors are very good. BORG - Bucks & Oxon 4x4 Response Group
Post #830750 12th May 2020 6:37pm
Brucech

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
Not sure of the availability of used models but Cub Cadet gets my vote - I’ve had the Tank model for 6 years now & it’s great - 60’’ cut makes short work of our 8 acre of paddock - good heavy duty machine serviced yearly.
Post #830752 12th May 2020 6:54pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
I've heard good things about Cub Cadet - but have no direct experience myself.

Over the last 25 or so years we have put well over 10,000 hours and probably 20 different members of staff on the 5 Kubotas we have had over those years.

We have had 1 breakdown in that time and that was caused by a rouge stone flicking up and wedging itself in the PTO belt, shredding it in a matter of seconds. New belt ordered and it was back in action the next day Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #830757 12th May 2020 7:08pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
If you are struggling to raise £3.3K for the JD, I would not bother looking at a Kubota.

Kubota are really good, but they are expensive. As they are used commercially, anything second hand and cheap is likely to have high hours and / or abused.

I have a zero turn Ariens Ikon. I had never heard of them, but I have a friend who works in horticultural engineering and he said they were good. Sadly, new, this would be above £3.3K. You may find one second hand. I have clocked up 250 hours on the Ariens over the last 3 years and I think it is brilliant. Sadly, my local dealer burnt down to the ground and their other branch is closing Big Cry There were a couple in their showroom which got destroyed.

As Swine and Small says, a diesel mower will save you money in running costs. The Kawasaki 650 V Twin on the Ariens does drink petrol.

Ariens Company actually own Countax and Westwood (the latter two are almost identical mowers, bar some bonnet and decal details).

I have had maybe five Westwood mowers and each one has been progressively less robust.

I am not sure if the John Deere is a rebranded product (i.e. has no actual resemblance of the big green tractors). I did look at JD before I got the Ariens. They look ok.

Other point, I have a mulch kit on my mower. I had a mulching deck on the last Westwood. If you get a mower that mulches, you need to cut little and often. Don't expect the mower to cut five inches off the top of the grass and for it to look neat. It will be a mess.

If you need to pickup your clippings, nothing much beats the Westwood / Countax powered sweeper collector. It will pick wet grass up with no issues. Anything that blows grass up a tube into a bag has the ability to block up, especially when wet. The only mower that has a tube and bag collection system that I have seen work in the wet is the Kubota. Back to my previous comments about Kubota and why I like them Thumbs Up
Post #830772 12th May 2020 7:55pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Other points that I failed to mention on the Kubota are that it has 4 wheel drive, (should go down well on this forum), and power steering which is excellent around trees. Mine had done 250 hours and was about on your budget limit .
Thumbs Up 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #830779 12th May 2020 8:15pm
boode

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
I bought a secondhand Stiga 4WD
it’s an artic steer so turns on a sixpence - good if you have lots of obstacles to cut around
it halved the time taken to cut my lawn compared to the countax (because of the turning circle saving time)
Highly recommend a Stiga
Post #830785 12th May 2020 8:34pm
mini Anaconda

United Kingdom 
Rashers wrote:

I am not sure if the John Deere is a rebranded product (i.e. has no actual resemblance of the big green tractors). I did look at JD before I got the Ariens. They look ok.

Other point, I have a mulch kit on my mower. I had a mulching deck on the last Westwood. If you get a mower that mulches, you need to cut little and often. Don't expect the mower to cut five inches off the top of the grass and for it to look neat. It will be a mess.

If you need to pickup your clippings, nothing much beats the Westwood / Countax powered sweeper collector. It will pick wet grass up with no issues. Anything that blows grass up a tube into a bag has the ability to block up, especially when wet. The only mower that has a tube and bag collection system that I have seen work in the wet is the Kubota. Back to my previous comments about Kubota and why I like them Thumbs Up

I think the newer John Deere ride ons are a rebrand - the L105 and X166 that I used did not seem to be up to the job and felt very cheap and plasticy - despite the fairly expensive price tag.

I did hundreds of hours on a old Kubota G1700 - it blew the grass up the tube and into the bags which did a really good job but it struggled in long wet grass, not so much blocking up but the blower unit zapped a lot of power from the engine - though it was 25 years old with over 2500 hours and little to no servicing so not surprising. Rolling Eyes It would cut through any grass in the paddocks discharging out the side of the deck without the blower.

Sadly the grass in my garden can be cut with a Flymo, but if I needed one it would definitively be a Kubota, but probably out of budget. BORG - Bucks & Oxon 4x4 Response Group
Post #830791 12th May 2020 8:52pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Those Grillo ones that look like go karts look like fun, especially the 4wd ones with Chevron tyres. Probably very expensive though. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #830792 12th May 2020 9:00pm
Slideywindows

England 
I'm sure the others are right, if you want heavy duty and very long service.

But for my lawns I bought this little Atco, twin blade 38" cut, ride-on mower in March.

Quite a simple and relaxing ride.

(I just wish it didn't cut out every time I lift my bum off the seat!)

£1,915 inc VAT and delivery.

Click image to enlarge
Post #831133 14th May 2020 9:23pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I'd normally say go and visit your nearest TNS branch, but most showrooms are currently closed. Kubota are the best, but Stiga are decent too, but more economical options too. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #831137 14th May 2020 9:32pm
Chopperone

United Kingdom 
Hi
I think l am quite qualified to answer this Shocked
What Rashers says bears out my own thoughts/experiences.
I cut a lot of grass; currently we operate an Ariens (same as Rashers), a Cub Cadet & a JD F1145.
The Ariens is really fast but you know you have been mowing IF the ground is bumpy.l fitted the uprated seat ( total waste of time).
JD F1145 - she’s an old girl but she does some work & starts absolutely on the button ( first turn having stood all winter).
An absolute pig to work on as access to any broken part is a nightmare.2 days to remove belly tanks to renew rubber internal pick up hoses ! Cuts almost anything & can do it a high speed IF you can hang on.
Cub Cadet - fast ,very comfortable,zero turn,easy enough to work on but mine is under warranty.
I had two problems when a drive train hanger broke then the anchor point broke; made of Chineseium metal.Otherwise great.
We also had a little JD x120 - total crap- ok when it was new but rusted away,bits broke quite readily,parts expensive & poorly made.lf your lawn is like one shown in the brochure & your Grandad cuts it for you at 2mph & washes/waxes your mower then it might be ok.
Personally if l was looking for a mower l would get a second hand commercial mower rather than a small ride on.
Just depends if you can store it & it works for your lawn layout.
The Ariens & Cub Cadet are great but cost me around £13k but then we have probably 15 acres of grass to cut at least once a week.
Guy May your life be like toilet paper ; long & useful.
Post #831170 15th May 2020 7:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>