↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > MT82 breather
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If you unscrew the breather fitting you will immediately understand the impracticality of this!
I think the best bet is the pot luck approach. The bracket won't drop (much) unless the selectors are hugely worn. It can slide lengthwise, or so it feels, but it also feels as though a detent or something is locating it. If you keep the box horizontal I think there's a very good chance that you would be able to screw the fitting back in, just like I was able to.

Mr Nugget clearly thinks so too.
Post #822165 29th Mar 2020 9:34pm
Gloucesternige

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
I wonder if there was a design change, just like they changed the detent design, again, not in the manual?? Nige

Check out my You Tube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/Defender90KeswickNigelsLandRoverchannel
Post #822166 29th Mar 2020 9:36pm
blackwolf

Nothing is impossible. The excitement is killing!
Post #822167 29th Mar 2020 9:42pm
Gloucesternige

blackwolf wrote:
If you unscrew the breather fitting you will immediately understand the impracticality of this!
I think the best bet is the pot luck approach. The bracket won't drop (much) unless the selectors are hugely worn. It can slide lengthwise, or so it feels, but it also feels as though a detent or something is locating it. If you keep the box horizontal I think there's a very good chance that you would be able to screw the fitting back in, just like I was able to.

Mr Nugget clearly thinks so too.

I assume your best option is to ensure the 'box is in 2nd, fourth or sixth to ensure which ever selector rod it is, the thing is forward? Nige

Post #822172 29th Mar 2020 10:06pm
blackwolf

Having spent most of the evening poring over Mustang manuals and Defender parts drawings (none of which show the part in question), I have come to the conclusion that the thing in question is probably a support bracket for the front end of the main selector rail. The Mustang has a travel limit pin or stop pin in roughly the same place, but appears to have a different main selector rail with a machined portion to engage the pin.

The main selector rail is involved in every gear change on the MT82 and moves forward for 2/4/6 and rearward for 1/3/5. Different selector spools engage according to the angular movement of the rail, with the 3/4 selector worked directly off the main rail, and the 1/2 and 5/6 worked via levers and secondary rails (and I have already forgotten how the reverse selector is operated).

I guess it may therefore be the case that if you were to engage 2/4/6 the main rail will be in its fully-forward position which may reduce the possibility of the bracket sliding forward off the end of the rail, although you would think that good design would mean that the rail would be supported at the front by the front wall of the gearbox.

It would be really interesting to see some photos of the inside of a Defender MT82 box as it is stripped, but I am reluctant to strip my spare box (as it is very low mileage and as far as I know a rather good one) just to find out how it works!

There is incidentally an MT82 out of a 2004 Transit on eBay at the moment which appears to have the same fitting for the breather...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-Gear-b...2917360531

... whilst this one for the 2006 to 2013 Transits has the fitting in the same place but it appears to be a plastic push-in thing which presumably therefore doesn't do anything structural inside.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/06-13-Ford-Tran...2733990974
Post #822178 29th Mar 2020 10:43pm
Gloucesternige

I have alaso been pondering over the manual and have come to this conclusion.. just my 2p worth mind you..

If you go to page 704 of the manual, and look at image E76405 it is a photo rather than a drawing. At 3 o'clock we can see something there that clearly supports the end of the main selector shaft.

Now look at E76450 at the bottom of the page and it looks like this part is an integral part of the casting? Note also there are 4 off needle bearings in it. So... I have come to the conclusion that early 'boxes had a cast aluminium support/bearing housing here and after wear issues due to the aluminium/bearing interface, Ford decided to fit a steel bearing housing support and used the breather bolt to secure it.

EDIT:- Maybe Ford added a steel insert into the ali casing, and the bolt is holding that in place?

Note also in the images mentioned above, there appears to be a spring in the assembly too?? Nige

Post #822268 30th Mar 2020 3:07pm
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

this is the inside of the bolt showing what its fitted to,

I may be wrong ref refitting it but I wouldn't assume the inner guide wont move at all ! Dave
Post #822271 30th Mar 2020 3:37pm
Gloucesternige

Thanks so much for posting this Dave.

From looking at the pic you have posted it would appear the spring is keeping the radial position of the shaft in check via the four needle bearings. So, I guess, it could flick round if you were unlucky? Nige

Post #822272 30th Mar 2020 3:42pm
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
yes the spring tension could cock it a bit but the selector shaft is in this tube so it cant go far, Dave
Post #822274 30th Mar 2020 3:49pm
Gloucesternige

While you're here Dave, can you tell me.. please..

Is it possible to remove the little black detent plugs without damaging them? Can the shafts be pulled out with them left in place so they can be tapped out from the iside? Nige

Post #822275 30th Mar 2020 3:52pm
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
the front 2 detents have to come out, rear 2 can be punched through later once the rails are out,

we drill the front 2 and use a slide hammer, this scraps them, Dave
Post #822277 30th Mar 2020 3:58pm
Gloucesternige

Mint, thanks Dave.

What was wrong with a ball, spring and grubscrew..grrrrr!! Nige

Post #822279 30th Mar 2020 4:14pm
blackwolf

ashtrans wrote:

Click image to enlarge

this is the inside of the bolt showing what its fitted to,

I may be wrong ref refitting it but I wouldn't assume the inner guide wont move at all !

Dave, many thanks for posting that, it is very interesting. I'm trying to get my bearings on the photo, is that looking forwards into the front casing, with the input shaft showing below, or it it somehow looking backwards into the front casing with the intermediate support plate still in place? I am guessing the latter.

It looks as though I was lucky that in nearly 2 years of not having the breather fitted the "thing" stayed put well enough to allow the breather to be screw back in. What a strange (and unsatisfactory) arrangement!

I am a little surprised, bearing in mind that these that gearboxes hasve now been in Defenders for over 13 years, that there is so little information about stripping and rebuilding them online.
Post #822302 30th Mar 2020 5:33pm
Gloucesternige

Hi Blackwolf. I’m gonna answer this for you..

The pic that Dave kindly posted is looking forward inside the main box housing, ie:-, that shaft at the bottom of the pic is the rear end of the input shaft. The two holes to the right of the “thing” are where the two forward detents press in.

I am seriously considering a strip and rebuild of my ‘box and putting it on my channel. I have a 2017 5.0 Mustang with pretty much the same box and that could do with an upgrade as the shift is crap at high revs. I’d also like to see if Ford used sintered steel synchros rather than the better but a few pennies more brass ones?? Nige

Post #822362 30th Mar 2020 8:34pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
MK wrote:
No. That "hollow bolt" retains some internal linkage.
 Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #822430 31st Mar 2020 1:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>