United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
So, no one knows what this bolt screws into then? Nige

Check out my You Tube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/Defender90KeswickNigelsLandRoverchannel
Post #822007 29th Mar 2020 11:59am
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
It screws into a threaded tube which supports the selector rail, not the casing, don’t remove it or the box will need stripping. Dave
Post #822077 29th Mar 2020 4:22pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Oops! Shocked
Post #822087 29th Mar 2020 5:19pm
Gloucesternige

ashtrans wrote:
It screws into a threaded tube which supports the selector rail, not the casing, don’t remove it or the box will need stripping.

Thanks Dave. Bow down So, I really do hate to gloat, but I was correct!!🤓🤓

So, do I have an excuse to take a peek inside my gearbox now?? Nige

Post #822116 29th Mar 2020 7:17pm
Gloucesternige

ashtrans wrote:
It screws into a threaded tube which supports the selector rail, not the casing, don’t remove it or the box will need stripping.

Thanks Dave. Can you tell me how on earth the little black detents are removed please? Indeed, do they “need”to be removed to strip the ‘box? Nige

Post #822117 29th Mar 2020 7:18pm
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
So if this is the case why isn't mentioned in the WSM as I would of just unscrewed it as it is just described as a breather, Not bolt retainer selector rail or some such manual speak.

and then how does the nugget kit get away with it then?

https://www.nuggetstuff.com/product/defend...ifold-kit/

Question Question Question

I ask as this topic is hot and it is the last breather that I haven't raised yet to the engine bay, everything else (F & R axle, Tbox and Tank) is all done. Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #822123 29th Mar 2020 7:37pm
blackwolf

As you can imagine Dave the "Gearbox Guru's" post caused a certain amount of consternation, since two years ago I removed the fitting from my spare box in order to answer a forum query about threads and sizes. The thought that I might end up stripping a nearly new box just to get the damn thing back in was not a welcome one.

Also, if Dave says that it secures something in the box, then I know that it will and will happily admit that everything I have posted above is completely wrong!

So I managed to excavate the box from its resting place under piles of stuff, and have investigated. It's difficult to photograph down a hole in the box, but the three pics below show well enough the situation. What, when I removed the plug, I thought was part of the casing is a separate aluminium bracket inside the box. you can just see the "join" below the unthreaded hole through the case, and the threaded part below.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The threaded part moves when manipulated, but not a great deal. For obvious reasons I didn't try selecting a gear to see what happened, but I have a suspicion that it would have disappeared one way or the other, never to be seen again.

The good news is that whilst it may be loose (I suspect that it is supported only by the selector rails) it is possible to refit the breather fitting without further problems. It may be that I was lucky with this, because the box is actually very low mileage (it came off a low-mileage write-off) so there is very little vertical movement, and the box hasn't really been moved for the last two years since I removed the fitting, so the internal parts were still where I left them.

So it would appear that under some circumstances, if you are lucky, you can remove the breather fitting and refit it, but I wouldn't like to say that it can always be done. Nige, in your video yours looks a very great deal looser than mine.

Just to prove that it did go back together, here is the evidence. I am happy to say that all gears can be selected smoothly and precisely after the refitting, but I think I'll leave it where it is from now on!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

My apologies to anyone I may have misled - I really did think that the thread was in the casing. Every day a schoolday!
Post #822129 29th Mar 2020 7:51pm
blackwolf

Devon-Rover wrote:
So if this is the case why isn't mentioned in the WSM as I would of just unscrewed it as it is just described as a breather, Not bolt retainer selector rail or some such manual speak.

and then how does the nugget kit get away with it then?

https://www.nuggetstuff.com/product/defend...ifold-kit/

Question Question Question

I ask as this topic is hot and it is the last breather that I haven't raised yet to the engine bay, everything else (F & R axle, Tbox and Tank) is all done.

I guess that the Nugget kit is relying on the ability to refit the breather plug without "losing" the internal fitting, as I was able to do above. The WSM I would put down to incompetence, since the Puma update to the WSM seems to have been done with the same level of skill and care as the Puma upgrade was done to the vehicle, i.e., very little.
Post #822131 29th Mar 2020 7:57pm
Devon-Rover

So whilst the isn't a huge amount of room to play with, My next train of thought is maybe remover the plastic breather and inset a semi rigid hooked device down the breather hole.. Unscrew the bolt and slip it over the free end of the hook.. place the new adjusted one on and insert into the box, should the selector rail need a lift to aid alignment you have said hooked item.

Just a thought. Neutral Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #822132 29th Mar 2020 7:57pm
Devon-Rover

blackwolf wrote:
The WSM I would put down to incompetence, since the Puma update to the WSM seems to have been done with the same level of skill and care as the Puma upgrade was done to the vehicle, i.e., very little.

Like the rumoured story that the bonnet bulge was a after thought as ford refused to allow a redesign of the lower end girdle and sump so it sat too tall in the engine bay.. thus resulting in the bonnet not fitting and it all not boing level an facing uphill which then naffs up front prop angle should you try and raise the front suspension.

That one then LOL Laughing Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #822136 29th Mar 2020 8:00pm
blackwolf

I'm not sure that the hook approach would work. The selector shaft that is visible down the hole looks to be about 13mm in diameter, about the same as the ID of the hole the fitting screws into. In addition there is very little vertical clearance between the bottom of the hole/end of the fitting when installed, and the selector rail. I really don't think that you'd be able to get something down the hole and round the shaft to hold it.
Post #822142 29th Mar 2020 8:06pm
Devon-Rover

I'm just wary of trying it in confined space and immobilising my truck should the law of sod happen Laughing Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #822146 29th Mar 2020 8:28pm
Gloucesternige

Devon-Rover wrote:

Because the Manual is crap. It is the worst Manual I have ever come across in my 56 yrs on this planet. The only good thing is that it's free and gives some of the required torque figures. Nige

Post #822152 29th Mar 2020 8:49pm
Gloucesternige

Devon-Rover wrote:
I'm just wary of trying it in confined space and immobilising my truck should the law of sod happen Laughing

I wonder if a rawl plug passed through the hole, then a long screw inserted and screwed into the rawl plug would do it?? The end of the rawl plug would open up and stop the "bracket" falling in. You could then unscrew the bolt and feed it over the screw in the rawlplug. Then put a pair of molegrips on the screw to hold it in position.
I may give it a go as I'm not scared of stripping the 'box, I'm more scared of finding the manual looks nothing like the box in reality, just like the fuel pump on the 2.4 and the positioning of the girdle and.. and..and... Nige

Post #822156 29th Mar 2020 8:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>