↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Does anyone really care.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
ids

United Kingdom 
Cancelled mine last week also. Mostly due to:
- Worries about Inginum issues that seem not be being addressed
- Not convinced by build quality having seen them twice now
- Cost
- Don't fancy being a beta tester, especially for new electronics

Decided to keep my 2005 D3 going still (done 250K now) and see where we are in 6 mths to a year. I'm not in a rush or want/need a brand new one...
[/list]
Post #821847 28th Mar 2020 7:18pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Huttopia wrote:
I was told a few days ago that the quarterly warranty bill for LR in the UK alone is £77m. What must it be globally? That is just money down a large sink hole, caused by accountants winning the cost down arguments with engineers on the quality of materials and design costs.

"But the fact is JLR have actually stated that part of the loss made in 18/19 was higher warranty costs.

In previous years the they considered the risk over completeness and accuracy of warranty provisions to be one of the most significant risks requiring to be separately identified in their report.

No getting away from the actual facts:

18/19 - Other expenses - Product Warranty - £1,016 million
17/18 - Other expenses - Product Warranty - £698 million"

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post789688...ion#789688
Post #821849 28th Mar 2020 7:27pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Morepower wrote:
@Tim in Scotland.... However, I've two friends who've now covered interstellar mileage in their Alfa JTDm units... one did 350000 miles until the rest of the car gave up and the other did 295000 before they got bored of it.... Which isn't bad when you consider one had it mapped to nigh on 200Bhp and the other was a 170bhp unit (std)..

Regards

Tim.... Also in Scotland

Well that's good to know Tim. My Wrangler is fitted with the 2.2 Multijet II engine.
Post #821851 28th Mar 2020 7:30pm
Supacat

markb110 wrote:
It does make you wonder to how much money would have been left in the pot if the car industry had not wasted an absolute fortune on electric and self driving car projects.

There's no point having money in the pot if you are only going to spend it on the wrong thing. All the serious money is in electric now and those who get there last, like it's looking JLR will be, will find the pickings thin.
Post #821854 28th Mar 2020 7:39pm
J77

Scotland 
Morepower wrote:
@Tim in Scotland.... Well Tata have already junked the Censored ingenium engine and fitted Fiat units to their products in India as the ingenium units where causing too many warranty issues.... Don't be too quick to write the Fiat units off either... They are highly regarded in the trade... (OK you do get the rest of the car for free and it shows)... However, I've two friends who've now covered interstellar mileage in their Alfa JTDm units... one did 350000 miles until the rest of the car gave up and the other did 295000 before they got bored of it.... Which isn't bad when you consider one had it mapped to nigh on 200Bhp and the other was a 170bhp unit (std).... Yes a few TDI 200/300 and few TD5's will get similar mileage... However, JLR are replacing 1000 engines a month under warranty... So how good is their current unit in comparison?...By the looks of it... Not very...

Regards

Tim.... Also in Scotland

As far as I’m aware TATA have never used ingenium in their own products it’s been Fiat for a long time. Which stems from the Fiat - TATA joint venture to produce gearboxes, drivelines and engines for the Indian market.
Post #821857 28th Mar 2020 7:48pm
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
..hello gents .. im happy to see ya all here after been stuck for 2 weeks (quarantine)..what made me mad is that, we were put in quarantine after we came from oil rig..i mean..how the heck we can catch virus there, isolated from anything and everything.. Laughing anyway, nice to see ya all here, and i hope you are all well including your families..

..back to topic..well..no surprise here as far as i can tell...for now Whistle
Post #821927 29th Mar 2020 6:58am
Supacat

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
That's fascinating. Where did it come from?

I might be wrong but it looks like a Pistonheads thread that's been referenced on here a few times?
Post #821928 29th Mar 2020 7:23am
Supacat

J77 wrote:
Morepower wrote:
@Tim in Scotland.... Well Tata have already junked the Censored ingenium engine and fitted Fiat units to their products in India as the ingenium units where causing too many warranty issues.... Don't be too quick to write the Fiat units off either... They are highly regarded in the trade... (OK you do get the rest of the car for free and it shows)... However, I've two friends who've now covered interstellar mileage in their Alfa JTDm units... one did 350000 miles until the rest of the car gave up and the other did 295000 before they got bored of it.... Which isn't bad when you consider one had it mapped to nigh on 200Bhp and the other was a 170bhp unit (std).... Yes a few TDI 200/300 and few TD5's will get similar mileage... However, JLR are replacing 1000 engines a month under warranty... So how good is their current unit in comparison?...By the looks of it... Not very...

Regards

Tim.... Also in Scotland

As far as I’m aware TATA have never used ingenium in their own products it’s been Fiat for a long time. Which stems from the Fiat - TATA joint venture to produce gearboxes, drivelines and engines for the Indian market.

I thought the JLR engine plant in India was just producing engines for JLR models for the domestic market:

https://m.economictimes.com/jaguar-land-ro...756891.cms

and not many at that.

Also given that Tata's flagship SUV, the Harrier sells from around £13,500 (less than half of what an original Discovery Sport cost new), rising to about £17,500; it would be hard to justify sticker prices in the UK.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/feature...ta-harrier
Post #822021 29th Mar 2020 12:42pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
Thanks Supacat... Saves me posting twice...

Regards

Tim It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #822114 29th Mar 2020 7:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234