Page 14 of 21 <123 ... 131415 ... 192021>
Print this entire topic · 
Philip

United Kingdom 
Grenadier wrote:
I’d happily take the doors off mine over summer

But you won't.

Grenadier wrote:
Philip, thank you for your list of LR products, but reading your history seems to imply your were made to work in Defs or Series vehicles but chose to buy RRs. The outlier is the S3, so I wonder if it is an heirloom rather than something chosen/bought? Either way, you’re clearly not a classic Defender owner in the truest sense with your last 30 years of ownership being at the luxury end of 4x4 ownership. So I understand why you like the ND but I certainly don’t understand why you keep telling those of us on a forum dedicated to, and monopolised by, Defender ownership (in the real sense of it: love, obsession, frustration, passion, individuality, care, maintenance, adventure, modification, more frustration) that we’re either wrong, or living in the dark ages, or macho, or masochistic, or any of the other slurs or points of view you have, when you clearly don’t live it, ‘get it’ or indeed want to get it

"In the truest sense" - what a nonsense. I've spent my life around them, known literally dozens and dozens of them. All the things you talk about relate to OLD CARS. I have quite a lot of old cars, for reasons similar to those you mention - what I, and everyone else, doesn't want is any of that in something new. I actually bought the SIII because I couldn't find a 6 cyl SII truck cab in Bronze Green, if that's in any way relevant.

Grenadier wrote:
You know it all without having ‘lived’ it. And I don’t count being dragged around in LR products growing up as living it, it’s clearly never been your choice. So whilst you may prefer the cosseting nature, luxury and silence a RR affords, we prefer (even if only some of the time or as you call it as a ‘toy’) to indulge in the opposite. That’s our choice and that’s what Classic Defenders and their predecessors gave us. But apparently according to you and LR we’re wrong for wanting to do that, when clearly a huge market still remains. In this regard the ND simply doesn’t cut it. And as per 22900013A’s earlier photo, the ND simply never will. Off roading and towing aren’t everything. Whilst you may have seen many NDs towing plant machinery or trailers, that does not a Defender make. Isuzus can do that for a lot less money. But who wants an Isuzu? Certainly not someone who wants their car to have character, however frustrating that ‘character’ can sometimes be.

Haven't lived it, again what complete twaddle - how are you "living it" with the most sanitised, processed version of a car decades past its glory days? If you want character, buy something that actually earned it from its contemporary prowess. "Classic" Defenders - your term. Not a modern car. Not a competent car by modern standards. A car with "character" because it has been around for so long it's different. A car which, if funds and will had been available, would have been replaced and developed into something very similar to the current Defender by now. There is no "huge market" for a flawed, uncomfortable, old-fashioned car - there is a huge market for very cheap, competent, functional vehicles, though - which is entirely sewn-up by the Japanese and Americans - and which has enormous barriers to entry which JLR cannot dream of crossing. Also great to hear that using a car for work is irrelevant when the constant suggestion is that the Defender isn't legitimate because only the old ones are used for work...

Grenadier wrote:
So in terms of a ND doing everything a CD can, please get back to me when you’ve also seen a ND military varient, the pizza oven, the flatbed, the sewage van, the cherry picker, the 130 global overlander, the 50 year old S3 still driving and being fixed with butchered parts in a garage in Africa, the NGO version, the toy, the one with no doors on, the gin bar, the nomad surfer’s beach home, the electrician’s van with roll-up sides, the airport fire engine, the ambulance, the ambulance converted into a camper, the 4x4 competition truck, the petrol truck, the tow truck, the one being repaired by the side of the road in Mongolia using goat’s guts, and of course Prince Philip’s hearse. But you won’t, not one.

The market for new vehicles with customised functional bodies is minuscule - whilst it would have been nice to have the potential, in sales terms it's an irrelevance - hence why the gin bars, pizza ovens, overlanders, hippie buses etc are based on cheap, used, old cars. All a simple consequence of them being in production for so very long, and absolutely nothing to do with ability or competence. This is clearly demonstrated by the fact all the professional buyers gave up on the old Defender long before it was finally put out of its misery (hence, for example, the utilities companies have been buying Japanese for two decades - and how many overlanders bought a new old Defender rather than a Land Cruiser this century?). As for military variants - with your user name, I thought you might have understood why any kind of civilian vehicle is a complete non-starter to fill any sort of liaison/combat role in the modern forces.

Grenadier wrote:
None of the above really ever applied to the Disco, albeit early models were used extensively for overlanding, but towing and spending 95% of the time on road did. Much like the ND, which is why so many Disco owners are buying them and so many Defender owners are comparing them to Discos. And whilst you’re right that the majority of Defenders now don’t spend much time off road, I’d still warrant that over their lifetime far more than 5% have (LR’s own estimate as to how many NDs will be used off road), on farms, during mountain rescue, in wars, assisting humanitarian efforts and expeditions etc, off road adventures in far flung continents that the new variant will simply never see and if it does, never in the same numbers as the old variant. And, I’d suggest, that the classic Defs still running continue to see. And further, the ND won’t offer 1% of the variants and incarnations the classic Defender did and still does to anyone, anywhere and of any class.

Some confused thinking here. I can't imagine most people buying a Defender instead of a Discovery 5 even know what an original Discovery looked like, let alone what it actually was underneath. We had a Special Vehicles 300 Tdi van in the '90s - an awful lot nicer to use and drive than the contemporary Defenders. All those nice pictures of old Land Rovers doing rugged and noble and heroic things are just pictures, from a long time ago; the ones left are only left because they're a known quantity and parts and knowledge are still available to keep them going - not even the crudest, most basic replacement would change the fact that the Japanese have dominated those markets for decades.

Grenadier wrote:
What it will offer is a road biased, limited, luxurious and comfortable SUV at a price unattainable for most people. Much the same as the Disco. Oh and the Velar. And, um the RRS. Not to mention……you get my point. Wholly unnecessary addition to LRs fleet of identikit SUVs, and the termination of a unique vehicle that was still needed and desired and that made the LR name. That’s what Ford understand with the Bronco (which hasn’t been made to look/copy/perform like the Explorer SUV), Jeep with the Wrangler (which hasn’t been made to look/copy/perform like a Grand Cherokee), Merc with the G Wagen (which hasn’t been made to look/copy/perform like a ML) and Ineos with the Grenadier which HAS been made to look/copy/perform like a classic Defender, just better and more reliably. Instead LR have created a Disco 6 that looks like many other SUVs, performs like its Oval Badged stablemates and will mainly be left unchanged from when picked up in the showroom, or if they are changed at all they will look like this. Sad.

You cannot engineer-in old car character. Again - you cannot engineer-in old car character. Old cars have flaws and idiosyncrasies and differences and failings - "character" -when judged against modern standards. New cars should not be deliberately engineered to hobble their abilities. The new G Class is an embarrassment, a sad parody of the original, with absolutely zero conceptual integrity - a car wilfully made worse solely because its manufacturer didn't know how to replace it; it will never have any commercial, professional or military derivative to attempt to warrant its antique build. Emperor's New Clothes - a very expensive joke at its owners' expense.
The Bronco is slightly different - it's a toy rather than a serious car, and it's a simple derivative of the next-gen Ranger (and Amarok), so very cheap to spin off - zero relevance to anything Land Rover, though. Wrangler the same - a single-purpose toy flawed in every other aspect.
The Grenadire is, unfortunately, as embarrassing as the G Class - woeful rip-off design, archaic chassis engineering which offers no benefits in terms of capability, zero sales/parts/service backup, a mix of very complex and very crude powertrain, high price, pretend "British" back story already a joke. Do the old Defender dreamers realise the only way they'll spend the weekend taking the roof off one is with a 9" angle grinder? Obviously, as real men, they won't care about the unavoidably poor road manners, safety, comfort and so on its construction inevitably provides, just so long as they can clip stuff to the side with their Leatherman when they park in the caravan site.

I'm no fan of that Manhart car (although I am a fan of 500 bhp) - but you seem to forget that the old Defender's late-life resurgence in visibility is almost entirely down to the "efforts" of Khan, Twisted etc - and stick-on tat aside, the only thing they focused on was trying (and largely failing) to bring them into the modern world in terms of performance, comfort, handling, NVH. Even the lifted, rope-on-bumper, LED light bar stuff is entirely inauthentic.

What we're seeing (yet again) is conflating six decades of seeing similar vehicles doing things with the belief that progress is somehow bad. If you want an old Defender, with all the charms and failings they possess, then buy an old Defender, there are many thousands to choose from. But don't pretend that a modern Land Rover (or any other car) has to be flawed in the same ways.
Post #909944 29th Jun 2021 12:45pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
It's nice to see that you're both agreeing to disagree. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #909951 29th Jun 2021 1:31pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
So the utility companies gave up on Defenders decades ago did they? Can you therefore explain the hundreds if not thousands of very late Defenders they all bought, right up to 65 and 16 plate? I see dozens of them daily, working for a company that owns several hundred examples at the very least. I should also point out that the Japanese pickups you so admire have performed so poorly in that environment that they have had to keep many Defenders on the job long beyond their expected retirement date. I suspect they are watching the Grenadier with great interest. Oh, all those jap pickups are body on frame too, without exception. They simply can't match a Defender on gross or axle weight, to such a point that in some cases you had a choice- have a winch *or* a passenger, but not both. The telecoms, gas, water and electricity companies are still using Defenders by the bucketful, how absurd to suggest otherwise!!!

Also, pretty sure the Mercedes G is still available as a commercial or was until very recently. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #910001 29th Jun 2021 5:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Philip

United Kingdom 
A modified version of the original G460 is still available as a military vehicle, think civilian sales ended a few years back.

As for utilities, if the majority of 4x4s they use are still old Defenders, they’re hiding them very well - funnily enough, a while ago I had a brief chat with one of the blokes diggng a trench (well, boring a trench) for a power cable in a field, usual Ranger with M/Ts and a fabricated body - he was certainly not a Defender fan, for what it’s worth. I’m certainly not much of a pickup fan, either - D3/4 commercials were massively nicer to use in every way than the twincabs that came before them.
Post #910004 29th Jun 2021 5:31pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I saw a United Utilities Defender just last week in my town, and I see it/them on a fairly regular basis still. Complete with modular wheels and a Superwinch Husky in the most massively built bumpers. I can’t imagine UU run these because they are hobbyists. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #910005 29th Jun 2021 5:33pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
I’m sure they don’t, there are clearly some niche roles were they still make sense.
Post #910007 29th Jun 2021 5:37pm
Tim in Scotland

Amazing how far off topic a thread about the new Ford Bronco can go…………… Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #910008 29th Jun 2021 5:41pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I know Tim

I'm just glad that i did not start a post about paint drying.........Lord knows where we would be.... Whistle
Post #910028 29th Jun 2021 7:43pm
J77

Scotland 
First there would be a debate on what colour said paint should be Laughing 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #910029 29th Jun 2021 7:46pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Razz This is funny...
The reviews of the Bronco are all good...
https://www.carscoops.com/2021/06/2021-for...-the-wait/
But the comment section diverts to a row about the new defender!!! It's like a matter/anti-matter reverse of this thread! Now left.
Post #910032 29th Jun 2021 7:58pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Bronco lovers...play the videos! Now left.
Post #910033 29th Jun 2021 8:02pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
22900013A wrote:
I've heard the Niva is excellent off road too, and I've always liked the G wagen.

Does well up to a point...

or cutting to the chase:

Edit : Apologies to earlier poster ~ whole thread is difficult to keep up with Embarassed
Post #910204 30th Jun 2021 8:06pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Even the best 4x4 in the world will have limits. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #910216 30th Jun 2021 9:29pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Matt110

United Kingdom 
markb110 wrote:
I know Tim

I'm just glad that i did not start a post about paint drying.........Lord knows where we would be.... Whistle

Try it, you never know we might end up accidentally solving the adaptor shaft dilemma! Rolling with laughter
Post #910220 30th Jun 2021 10:26pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
22900013A wrote:
Even the best 4x4 in the world will have limits.

Yes, failing in a hole that stopped a Unimog, is no real disgrace. I'm with Jonny on the Niva - great they exist and better still there's a man importing them into the UK.
Post #910225 30th Jun 2021 10:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 14 of 21 <123 ... 131415 ... 192021>