↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Coronavirus Thread (Part 1)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 5 of 21 <123 456 ... 192021>
Print this entire topic · 
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Badger110 wrote:
nodo1960 wrote:
Your prime minister stated 60% of you will get positive. Not talking of the italian 6% death rate, not talking of the Chinese 2,5% .... think of only 1% rate in the UK 56 milion people x 60% > 33 milion positves > 330.000 deaths on topo of the normal rate

Throwing figures around which have no basis on real time scenarios does nothing but add to the hype and media garbage already being thrown about.

I absolutely agree. If you look at the actual figures, e.g. from Worldometers (which I believe to be at least semi-accurate)
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
you'll see that France and Germany have similar numbers of infections (reported, at least) but mortalities in France are ten times higher...
Clearly, there are many factors that we don't yet understand and that can change short- and long-term.
For now, we just need to follow the advice, refrain from shaking hands (even sanitised ones), keep calm and carry on Thumbs Up

...and please leave me a bloody bog roll! Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #819699 15th Mar 2020 7:55am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
BEWARE, and yes, be afraid, FINALLY many of you guys are finally becoming aware of what I said is going to be a VERY challenging situation ( see my post of 13/3 & previous, only made this comment because in spite of an increasing drama no-one had shown any concern on this forum?).
At this time, infections world wide are increasing, with no known cure.
Closer to you guys than me, Italy is now the epicenter, ....until the rate of infections shows a decrease, this is a HUGE problem, if you're retired, just have a look at how your superannuation funds have decreased. If you ain't got any cash reserves?...how do you live?
There are HUGE challenges here, which the world has never faced before,....what is the answer?....I will just place my faith in my Govt,....what else can we do, .....but be very sure,......this is VERY serious.
Pickles.
Post #819708 15th Mar 2020 9:46am
Mini Landie

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
Most of the folk on here are British, and we can have a very dry sense of humour when it comes to serious matters.

It’s not that we’re not concerned, it’s just that we prefer to have a laugh and a joke instead of wingeing about it.

I don’t speak for everyone, of course, but in general.
Post #819719 15th Mar 2020 10:43am
donmacn

^^^^ I don't think there's any doubt at all that this is serious, and deserves to be taken seriously. As you say, we haven't fully understood all the potential implications. Perhaps our (UK) government's "low key" approach until now has contributed to folk being more relaxed here?

On the other hand, we're also well known for our 'gallows humour' - even if you know something is serious, there's always a more light-hearted way to look at it.

I think spudfan started this thread on that tack, and not to go into a serious discussion. Doesn't mean it's not serious, just means you can leave that discussion to another thread?

As for "place my faith in the Gov't"... Very Happy

(Edit - I was replying to pickles' comments - but minilandie has said the same thing, just shorter and quicker!) Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #819720 15th Mar 2020 10:46am
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
For me I am now spending all of my time trying to work out how to mainin the basic infrastructure of our daily lives. I am sure none of us wish to see say the refuse pile up as we head into spring (and this is a marathon event not a sprint) or those needing benefits payments stopping. This is a very human crisis, Business continuity planning often looks at things (loss of buildings, loss of ICT systems) but this is all about people. However we do need humour that's a cornerstone of our society, it will keep us sane during what must be one of the biggest challenges we are likely to face in generations. Thumbs Up 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #819728 15th Mar 2020 11:05am
ZeDefender

Don't worry, the Corona Virus won't last long...it was made in China Whistle Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #819731 15th Mar 2020 11:26am
ssg

United Kingdom 
Brilliant!

Post #819732 15th Mar 2020 11:50am
ZeDefender

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Bow down Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #819736 15th Mar 2020 12:45pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Well I fear that's me done working for sometime. I spent last week regularly washing hand, applying hand sanitiser, cleaning desk with sanitiser wipes. All good until I suspect Friday afternoon got to close to student who stated they have ben off ill for a couple of days with a cold, then BANG later yesterday started to cough, sneeze and shiver. Now have to stay away and no doubt when I well the restrictions yet to be issued will prevent me from going to work.

I will have to see how many times Only Fools and Horses is shown on T.V.. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #819748 15th Mar 2020 2:10pm
ZeDefender

Oh cr*p - sorry to hear that Crying or Very sad
Hope you feel better soon Thumbs Up

Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #819756 15th Mar 2020 4:26pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Forgive those that make decisions for themselves. It seems to me the the govt. are the last mover, forced into action to catch up with what sporting bodies etc are deciding for themselves. The comms around this are all very muddled, so we need to see and hear less of Boris / Hancock and have a daily briefing from the Chief Med and Chief Scientific Officers.

I’ll be getting some jobs done at home and be here for lambing. Whether the new job I’m due to start in April happens is another matter.
Post #819762 15th Mar 2020 6:24pm
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
It's going to be seasonal so we need to build up our immune systems. The danger is following the crowd and media hysteria.

It seems self isolation has not worked anywhere yet. People need to apply common sense.
Post #819763 15th Mar 2020 6:36pm
ZeDefender

Around here (and I'm in one of the "hot zones" in Germany) we're self-isolating, being vigilant, minimising contact, washing hands etc. and the infection rate has become stable for the time being. As long as the number of new infections stays steady, the hospitals will probably cope. People just need to do what the experts (no, Johnson isn't one) tell them. Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #819770 15th Mar 2020 7:30pm
spudfan

Ireland 
ssg wrote:
Brilliant!

If that is what the virus can do to people, things are looking bleak indeed. Imagine having to go into lockdown with a member of your family behaving like that (complete with shirt and maraccas). 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #819775 15th Mar 2020 8:17pm
spudfan

Ireland 
All joking aside my daughter has special needs so her immune system is not as efficient as mine. The summer before last we ended up in hospital for ten days with her. My daughter (she is 24) and doll in bed and my wife and I on mattresses on the floor. Initial treatment was for a suspected blood clot but they realised this was not the case. After ten days and a return to health I asked what caused the system shut down. "We have no idea "came the reply. The year before we spent 5 days in hospital with her, again with no knowledge what caused the system shut down. If anything happened to my daughter now I'd be in s##t creek without a functioning diff lock. They would be short of facilities, equipment and staff to help her and neither my wife or I would be allowed to stay with her. So maybe a red shirt and maraccas are not the worst case scenario Whistle 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #819777 15th Mar 2020 8:28pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 5 of 21 <123 456 ... 192021>