↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Coronavirus Thread (Part 1)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 2 of 21 <123 ... 192021>
Print this entire topic · 
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Excuse the swearing but its just FUCLING nonsense.......how many does 'normal' flu kill every year and we don't even bother
Post #818767 8th Mar 2020 11:19am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Well being very close to 70 yrs, having COPD and having only 4/5 ths of the lungs I was born with I am extremely concerned at the risk of catching this infection. Several years ago the Flu virus nearly killed me so you can se my concern.

The UK media has gone into overdrive in its reporting of new cases each day, only reporting as a total infected instead of total now with the infection as people recover.

The world has no protection against it as it is new, with Flu we do have a vaccine which should limit its impact on the body yet a large number die from Flu is this because they are not being immunised I don't know.

In the area of the UK in which I reside we have no known cases but if you believe the BBC we do as 40miles away in York two Chinese were found to be infected having travelled back to the UK from China with the disease.

Sorry about the disjointed ramblings. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #818771 8th Mar 2020 12:40pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
ARC, I understand your concern. My Wife’s mother has COPD and is similar age to you and struggles to maintain a healthy blood oxygen level. It is very difficult to understand what risk she is really facing with this virus. The reporting is terrible.

One thing I will say is I really don’t like how the media and authorities stress that those who have died had underlying health conditions. It feels almost like they are saying these people don’t matter as the healthy ones will be fine. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #818775 8th Mar 2020 12:55pm
jaygti

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Yes the reporting is awful.
The actual number of people that have the virus at the moment ,is far more important than the total amount that have contracted the disease.
As many have now recovered and probably won’t be threat anymore.
Doesn’t sell newspapers though🤔 2002 td5 90 county hardtop
Post #818788 8th Mar 2020 2:29pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Imagine going on your honeymoon and having to abide by the two metre distance rule Whistle 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #818792 8th Mar 2020 3:35pm
spudfan

Ireland 
John Travolta was hospitalized for suspected COVID-19, but doctors now confirm that it was only Saturday Night Fever, and they assure everyone that he is Staying Alive 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #818799 8th Mar 2020 4:54pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Spudfan, you need to lay off the Pulp Fiction.. Rolling with laughter
Post #818813 8th Mar 2020 6:45pm
Chopperone

United Kingdom 
I am so sick of all of this coronavirus stuff l am washing my hands of it. May your life be like toilet paper ; long & useful.
Post #818830 8th Mar 2020 8:17pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Post #819312 12th Mar 2020 6:59pm
Projectblue

England 
Folks,

It may have escaped your notice (or you just didn't care) but this isn't flu. It isn't about how many die from flu and we don't go on about it.

This is ENTIRELY different. It only resembles flu because it has 'flu like' symptoms. E.g. Temperature and respiratory issues. The problem, as people are beginning to be aware, is the incubation time and the transmission rate. So it transmits waaaay before you realise you have it and self isolate.

So let's be real here. You get flu, you probably self isolate cos you are in bed. But no one else in your house bothers, even though they probably carry it for a bit.

There is no vaccine for this. You probably will recover, like normal flu. But you might end up on an intubator. There are only so many of these in the Country. So there will be a queue for those. And doctors will need to decide who goes on one, and who they leave - to die.
THAT is the reality.

Then you have to deal with the fact that X number of people are going to get it. And the fatality rate is 2% or so. Call it 2.5%
60million people and 20% catch it = 12m x 2%. That's 240,000 - 300,000 people could possibly die in the next month, on top of the normal death rate. That's 50% of the National ANNUAL average, in one go.

But it doesn't stop there. You have 20% less workforce to be able to process the people that have died and five and half times the dead to deal with. Still, manageable right?

Forget the dead. They won't be worried. Think about the knock on effects. Look at people acting like idiots over toilet paper already - and we haven't even hit the surge yet.

So yeah. Think of it like another flu, go to work. Soldier on with a stiff upper lip even though you feel like crap because if you go off sick you will feel like you have let someone down... and be part of the problem that is about to cause mayhem that will make the B****t issue look like a child's party. Mr. Green New project and it's green: www.projectoverland.info
Post #819454 13th Mar 2020 6:17pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Bow down Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #819458 13th Mar 2020 6:45pm
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Initially I thought it was all a big fuss, however my girlfriends sister is a doctor on the Swiss Italian border and said it’s hectic. Half of the people who have been confirmed to have it are still in hospital, over 1000 people in intensive care. The reason for the spike in deaths a couple of days ago was because they ran out of respirators so they just have to pick and choose who to keep alive now. All the hospitals are full and they’re having to set up makeshift hospitals to deal with the numbers of people. There’s a reason why they’re shutting down entire countries which will have crippling effects for economies. I really don’t know what the government are waiting for as our NHS isn’t up to the task of a major outbreak here.
Post #819476 13th Mar 2020 8:13pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Before Coronavirus I'd cough to cover a fart.
Now I fart to cover a cough. 
Post #819482 13th Mar 2020 8:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Well done, Laurie Laughing I’m glad we can still smile.

Anyone else who is perfectly well imagining symptoms ?? I know I am (and I swear I am not a hypochondriac Very Happy )

We have been told we are working from home by the end of next week. I am not sure whether this will be possible for the company I work for but that is what my boss has decided. We are only a small concern. Many large companies are doing trials to see if their staff can work remotely. It won’t work for everyone. Does make you wonder what kind of damage will be done by the time we get to the end of this. The way the international airline industry is looking, a third runway at Heathrow is looking about as useful now as an ashtray on a motorbike!
Post #819494 13th Mar 2020 9:19pm
Oakseywick

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
The company I work for have gone into lockdown office closed all working from home and all our reps are to stay home and not visit customers not sure how it’s is going to work my phone bill will be massive for work. I am sure this whole thing is going to have some serious economic impact. Andy
Defender 90
Defender 110 XS
Cupra 290
Post #819499 13th Mar 2020 9:28pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 2 of 21 <123 ... 192021>