↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Coronavirus Thread (Part 1)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 3 of 21 <123 4 ... 192021>
Print this entire topic · 
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
The company I work for (until the end of the month) has just announced we are all to work from home. It is unlikely to be the most arduous fortnight.
Post #819508 13th Mar 2020 9:42pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
LandymanStefan wrote:
Initially I thought it was all a big fuss, however my girlfriends sister is a doctor on the Swiss Italian border and said it’s hectic. Half of the people who have been confirmed to have it are still in hospital, over 1000 people in intensive care. The reason for the spike in deaths a couple of days ago was because they ran out of respirators so they just have to pick and choose who to keep alive now. All the hospitals are full and they’re having to set up makeshift hospitals to deal with the numbers of people. There’s a reason why they’re shutting down entire countries which will have crippling effects for economies. I really don’t know what the government are waiting for as our NHS isn’t up to the task of a major outbreak here.

Good post my friend, particularly as some prior posts on here indicated the Virus was not being taken seriously, which is why I asked in my original post some time ago.
I agree with you entirely about the capability of health systems, NHS etc, our Aussie Govt is doing as good a job as it can IMHO, but if there's a major outbreak down here, we simply will not be able to cope.
This is a VERY big deal indeed, & it's not only the health issue, but the Economic ramifications for World economies /superannuation/sharemarkets etc, will affect far more people than those who are actually infected.
Stay safe, Pickles.
Post #819525 13th Mar 2020 10:56pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I'm currently helping a care company to model which of their elderly clients won't get home visits if 20% of their carers are off sick.
It's all starting to feel very real.
Post #819541 14th Mar 2020 8:20am
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
I fear I may struggle to work from home.
Post #819542 14th Mar 2020 8:25am
CharlieDonuts

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Galway Green
95% of the company are home working, critical operations are split between three teams, across two sites and one team at home made up of people with respiratory symptoms of if they are coming back from Italy, China or South Korea. Each team is forbidden from visiting the other teams site. This week I am working from home I am alternating one week home one week at work with another support engineer. From home I will probably be working all the time, weekend and evenings, dealing with stuff as it comes in but yes I will probably take advantage go to the swimming pool for a swim once a day. We have one confirmed case already and we have colleagues with family members working in Italian and Spanish hospitals and the news from those ITK is grim.
Post #819543 14th Mar 2020 8:39am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Sounds like you've got the balance about right.
I started working from home in the mid 90s - DOS version of PC Anywhere on a dialup!
You hear a lot about the boundaries blurring between work and home, but not convinced that's a bad thing - the good stuff (lunchtime walk with the dog etc) far outweighs answering emails in the evening. Just need to keep a balance.
Post #819567 14th Mar 2020 11:46am
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
I work abroad a lot (thankfully no confirmed cases here yet) and work have already moved all flights to get us back to the UK before international flights are halted. The number of requests from colleagues in the UK to bring hand sanitiser back in my luggage is ridiculous. 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
1992 200Tdi 90 Truck cab with Land Cruiser axles
Post #819569 14th Mar 2020 12:11pm
CharlieDonuts

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Galway Green
Soap and water kills the virus. I am washing my face and beard as well as my hands. Orally you can use Ethanol or Povidone Iodine. Vodka is 40% ethanol so it make a good gargle should someone sneeze or cough on you. I have heard that you can mix vodka with Aloe Vera to make hand gel. Although I have not tried it yet. The French are a very tactile people even during flu season. So I had 2x one litre bottle of gel in my office just out of habit so as not to catch flu.

These are the guidelines from the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control. Bleach and Vodka or Iodine for teetotallers.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/f...lities.pdf

Last edited by CharlieDonuts on 14th Mar 2020 12:40pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #819573 14th Mar 2020 12:39pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #819574 14th Mar 2020 12:40pm
Tim in Scotland

Lots of people having to take unpaid leave or even loosing employment and no earnings coming in is going to cause huge issues for the companies that provide PCP finance with people no longer being able to make monthly payments - JLR’s New Defender sales must be looking bleak as people try to reduce outgoings. It must be the same for all marques but not a good time to be trying to launch expensively developed new vehicles. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #819581 14th Mar 2020 1:08pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
Post #819590 14th Mar 2020 2:02pm
ssg

United Kingdom 
China - population 1.3 bilion.
Normal mortality rate: 7 per 1000 per year
= 2500 deaths per day
Coronavirus has killed 3189 since November.......

Lets buy lots of toilet rolls and strip the supermarket shelves bare.

The world is only 3 square meals away from anarchy, because people are stupid and the media hypes eveything.
Post #819606 14th Mar 2020 3:46pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
no idea WT exact F people are doing with all of these paper rolls and hand cleaner...........

popped into local supermarket this morning for some essentials for the office and there was not one liquid soap on the shelf, from the space left i would guesstimate approx 30-40 different types / aromas whatever and normally approx 10 of each type..........
Post #819607 14th Mar 2020 4:16pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
While I understand the seriousness of the virus, you still have to hand it to some people who retain their sense of humour as I have just seen this advert on Gumtree;

“I have 4 x 16 packs of toilet rolls and 8 bottles of hand sanitizer. Looking to swap for 3 bedroom house in Chelsea”. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #819609 14th Mar 2020 4:28pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I agree, gilarion Thumbs Up

This virus is serious, but I am glad that we can still have a smile as I am afraid the BBC news has become Unwatchable.

We need facts. We need official advice. We don’t need journalists giving their opinions as they have no more qualifications than me for doing so Rolling Eyes
Post #819611 14th Mar 2020 4:41pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 3 of 21 <123 4 ... 192021>