↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Houston, we have a problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
oneten110

United Kingdom 
Houston, we have a problem
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/jaguar-land-rove...oc5SVaP2v3 It is not a Defender, it is a One_Ten
Post #796887 6th Oct 2019 8:54am
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
There are huge vested interests in promoting battery powered vehicles as the way forward(all the electricity companies to name a few) - but logic dictates that hydrogen is the answer across the board, railway engines, trucks and personal transport maybe even ships. Some continental railway companies are experimenting with Hydrogen powered locos.
If that works maybe the results will trickle down to trucks and cars and the investors in the technology will get a sensible return for their investment. Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #796918 6th Oct 2019 1:08pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
The massive amount of energy required to produce hydrogen as a fuel is only one issue around it.
Distribution and retail are others. There is virtually no infrastructure to get this highly volatile, high pressure fuel to potential users.
Refilling rail locomotives at a depot, so they have potentially a thousand mile range is different to passenger cars making random journeys on the road network.

I'm no fan of electric vehicles, but perhaps if a large 3 tonne SUV is unable to carry enough batteries to give it a decent range, then it's the size and weight of the vehicle that's causing the problem?
Post #796957 6th Oct 2019 5:02pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I think they are having some issues over in the States with hydrogen vehicles at the moment; or rather fuel supply issues and filling issues. Apparently, if the pumps are used for 2 or more duty cycles back to back they then freeze up and take 20 mins to thaw again.
Post #797117 7th Oct 2019 4:19pm
oneten110

United Kingdom 
I think some people might find the tenfold price differential a bit steep. £1,000,000 for a Range Rover? It is not a Defender, it is a One_Ten
Post #797286 8th Oct 2019 5:35pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Third Row Podcast (@thirdrowtesla) Tweeted:
Toyota responds to California Hydrogen Fuel Shortage which some customers say “ruined their lives”

Calls these customers “trailblazers”

- Customers won’t have to pay their car payments for 6 months

- $2,500 towards a new toyota (if you want to get screwed again)

@ILuvAmp https://t.co/QxpZH17h5a https://twitter.com/thirdrowtesla/status/1224106314034556928?s=20
Post #813409 3rd Feb 2020 6:41pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I was reading an article before Xmas where the ‘experts’ where saying that there was not enough natural resources in the world to supply the UK needs for EV batteries let alone the rest of the world.

As resources dwindle costs will go up.

Who is going to recycle these batteries at the end of their lives. Malaysia for example is already returning our recycled plastic as they don’t want to be the worlds tip.

People mostly buy new cars on PCP. They won’t keep them once the warranty runs out, so who in their right minds will buy a second hand out of warranty EV.

New houses are built with only one driveway, kids can’t afford to leave home so you need parking for an average four cars with four charging points to ensure everyone can get up in the morning and go to work.

Anyone else see a problem in the near future here?
Post #813431 3rd Feb 2020 9:19pm
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
..i never truly understood this mania for EV..as much as it does sound nice, and dandy, it all boils down to this..

Diesel = 12,666.7 Wh/Kg
Li-Ion = 250 Wh/Kg

Beyond this point, all discussion about EV is act of fashion/lunacy, at least at this stage of battery tech..
Post #813475 4th Feb 2020 8:03am
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
I see the future got a bit closer this morning with an announcement expected that all diesel and petrol new cars will be banned from 2035, five years earlier than previously stated. I think the report said it would include petrol powered hybrid vehicles as well so that really puts pressure on EV.

I can see in the not too distant future a step up in the war to remove older (it seems anything over three years seems to be a definition at the moment) vehicles from the road through increasing taxation, bans in town and city centres. As fuel consumption reduces availability will start to be an issue (already a problem as fuel companies move to E10 (I think that's what it is called) which is not old car friendly at all.

All this means second hand car sales will become a nightmare, who will want a Defender which is will be expensive to tax, limited where it can drive and pay inflated fuel costs. Add to this the social pressure (I already feel it) of being seen to drive something sooooooo environmentally unfriendly. Whistle On the other hand who will want to buy a second hand electric car with a battery which costs £1000's and by the time you get it has well past its sell by date. Add to that the Government will have lost a fortune in fuel duty and something very expensive will have to replace it. EV drivers enjoy 'cheap' motoring while you can as it is surely going to end soon

Well thats my early morning rant over then. In 15 years time Ill be too old to worry about it and in the meantime I will keep driving my Defender until for what ever reason I cant anymore.................... Thumbs Up 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #813479 4th Feb 2020 9:16am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
would it not make sense to go back to coal fired steam engines but use wood which is renewable Whistle

all the good stuff is coming back again;

reuse shopping bags,
recycle glass bottles (milk bottles),
electric vehicles (milk floats),
reuse news papers - wrap fish n chips up in it,
log burners,
Post #813487 4th Feb 2020 9:42am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Wood is renewable, unfortunately timber doesn’t grow as fast as we would use it. Laughing Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #813601 4th Feb 2020 7:22pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Wood is really dirty when burnt, bad for particulates. I predict that domestic log and coal burners will be banned in the next decade or 2. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #813603 4th Feb 2020 7:25pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Unfortunately I believe log burners will be banned in new properties within the next couple of years. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #813611 4th Feb 2020 7:36pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Quite likely and then the other experts elsewhere in the system will be saying people’s ill health is created by low temperatures instead and then we go back to early 20th century issues as it was in the past.
The funniest part is these things will often knock on the doors of those that were all for banning these things and thought it wouldn’t affect them.

Give it a few years and another lunacy will be thought of then forgotten about. Rolling with laughter Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #813614 4th Feb 2020 7:48pm
oneten110

United Kingdom 
I am surprised that the gummerment hasn't made it mandatory for all new houses to have solar panels fitted to the roof, plus any development of say more than 100 dwellings has to have a wind turbine.
With regard to Ev, in particular the Nissan leaf, new batteries seem a bit on the expensive side
https://electrek.co/2018/03/26/nissan-leaf...t-program/ It is not a Defender, it is a One_Ten
Post #814346 9th Feb 2020 5:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>