↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Houston, we have a problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Not sure if anyone heard it, but there was an article on Radio 4 last week answering questions on battery powered electric vehicles. I can't substantiate any of the claims that were made on the programme, but it seems that the batteries in vehicles are lasting longer than their design life. Batteries are suppose to have a design life of 10 years and it was said that most vehicles are exceeding this.

I'm not sure if they were talking about purely electric vehicles or hybrids (such as the Prius?). My limited knowledge of batteries would suggest that they would deteriorate over time so as they get older, the range would diminish to the point that it would become unusable.

One thing that is for sure, the batteries packing in on a vehicle will write the vehicle off if it is ten plus years old.

The good news, it should be worth a bit for scrap as the batteries should still be worth a few quid Rolling with laughter

Do you think gangs will start stealing cars to get the batteries out of them?
Post #815458 16th Feb 2020 5:55pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Rashers wrote:
... Do you think gangs will start stealing cars to get the batteries out of them?

Of this I have no doubt whatsoever! I'm surprised it is not already happening.
Post #815461 16th Feb 2020 6:03pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
oneten110 wrote:
Supacat wrote:
March 2018 article... things move on quite quickly...

So Nissan leaf vehicles no longer require replacement battery packs and the price has dropped to 50P?

Pretty much yes...

Early adopters of any tech are never in it for any reason that makes sense economically/financially; but look around today at the battery life in EVs and then the figures for cost per kWh and:

Click image to enlarge

https://about.bnef.com/blog/behind-scenes-...ry-prices/
Post #815480 16th Feb 2020 7:05pm
Tommo

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Who can feasibly buy a new EV?
The cost of these are way too much for me so I have to wonder whether Def 2. net users are very well off Shocked
Also, as they are likely to cost more than £40k you will pay more road tax for first 5 years regardless of how clean it is
Batteries are not the way forward, they are too heavy and interestingly the environmental impact of heavier cars and the quicker wear on tyres is in itself a problem.
Don't be fooled by the hype...as I have already said they are not that good for the environment and it stinks a bit of passing the baton to another conglomerate company who is going to make loads of money out of us and who are not that interested in saving the planet.
This is the power of the parental media/government who influence us and direct our lives and convince us of what is good for us.
To summarize:
- plant more trees
-keep waterways clean
-reduce plastic
-buy local or regional food
-don't fly too much

Drive your defender Thumbs Up
Post #815491 16th Feb 2020 7:25pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Tommo your summary is excellent.

I wonder what would happen if we were all as individuals given carbon credits to use/trade. Do you want to fly on holiday three times a year; commute long distance; or save them up for a new car once every 10 years or more?

As to affordable EVs, if the cost is all in the batteries, then patience is your friend:

Click image to enlarge
Post #815506 16th Feb 2020 8:06pm
Swedishbloke

Sweden 
oneten110 wrote:
I think some people might find the tenfold price differential a bit steep. £1,000,000 for a Range Rover?

I find it a bit amusing how working class people who never can aford an EV SUV with their taxes pays for goverment discounst to rich people for ultra expensive EVs such as the Tesla Model X, Audi E-tron and a future EV Range Rover.
Post #816175 20th Feb 2020 6:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123