↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Has anyone ordered one?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 30 <123 ... 789 ... 282930>
Print this entire topic · 
dailysleaze

United Kingdom 
Looks like it'll be a neck and neck release with Rivian...
Post #801050 6th Nov 2019 4:25pm
J77

Scotland 
ids wrote:
J77 wrote:
Hi all just joined up, came over from the Disco site, though currently running around in a Velar. But yeah there is a fair bit of interest over there.
I have an expression of interest placed with my dealer for a 90 but can’t place an order as of yet Rolling Eyes

Ditto. I'm waiting till I see/drive a 90. I have a deposit down but not prepared to commit till I see the real thing.

I saw the 90 commercial at the Halewood preview event and IMO it looked the business, especially on the steel wheels. Just a shame we weren’t allowed in it as it’s still classed as a concept car.

I’m aiming to keep my spec below £45k any higher and we’re getting into Disco territory.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #801055 6th Nov 2019 4:40pm
J77

Scotland 
Re: Bad news for PHEV buyers
Tim in Scotland wrote:
According to an article about the 5th Gen ELECTRIC FFRR in today’s Auto-Express magazine the new Defender 110 PHEV is unlikely to go on sale until late 2021 now. Why is it taking so long to get this really important version into production, it should have been available from launch in this day and age.
Looks like I’ll be looking for my deposit back and sticking it down as a deposit on a Kia eNiro or a used iPace instead and running my TDI300 until sales of diesel fuel stop (which will probably be long after I’m dead and buried)

It seems to be the way LR are now, this drip feed of models and specifications, which is a tad frustrating.
Post #801056 6th Nov 2019 4:47pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
I think discovery owners will see this as the d5 that should have been. I do for one, I have owned five d3/4’s from new and currently have a d5 and it’s rubbish. I have a deposit down but am let down by the engine choice and boot size of the 110 so need to wait for the 130 which has pee’d me off. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #801087 6th Nov 2019 7:08pm
Stuff

I have owned a 110, a D3, a D4, a RRS1 and a RRS2, and a handful of Audi, Merc and other makes. I drove the 110 and the D3 very seriously off-road. The kids grew up with the green oval, in full mud and sport forms.

As a 110/D3/4 owner, I was very disappointed in the D5. It’s still not on my buy list for a host of aesthetic and utilitarian reasons, although I originally hoped to buy one. Nor is the new Defender. It’s got fat thighs (hips?) given the width of cab and body, ugly sight lines where the cab turns into what would have been called the “tub waist” on the previous model, an ugly seam running vertically at the rear side, rear lights that make me wonder if the intern ran amok with the final design, an ugly patch hiding the alu frame at the C pillar, solid paint on the A pillar that rejects the previous ‘floating’ roofline masterful design language, other visual dissonances around the B and C pillars (look at the photos), no good bottle storage in the front door cards, nor elsewhere in the cab (no, Gerry, we don’t all sip 250ml Evian scented with Elderflower), fake treadplates on the bonnet, etc, etc., ...

Look at the post rates here and on DISCO3/4. The chat has quickly died down. This is an Edsel launch. I’m not buying, no matter what engine or battery they put in it.

The grandchildren (some years hence) are very unlikely to see a LR product on our drive, nor their parents’ drive.
Post #801121 6th Nov 2019 9:04pm
King Luis

Canada 
nosnibod wrote:
I must admit I did think that if JLR had called it a Discovery would any of us have noticed?

being new to this forum, if the new defender looked exactly like the old one and had more or less the same "caveats" as the old one, the lot of you would have liked it. otherwise, it would be exactly how it is today. too much plastic, too wide, too much tech, wheel sizes are wrong, can't walk on the hood, independent suspension, new motor can't be serviced on a farm field, it has arm rests, the mirrors are the wrong shape, need i go on?

not calling you out personally but the large group of haters on the new defender either don't realize the regulations that need to be followed with every new vehicle and/or haven't noticed the amount of issues the old defender has. i've seen some bad issues with defenders with only 150k on them or less. that's pretty bad.

imo, the new defender gives you the capabilities and more of the old one, with the comfort and modern day needs. will a lot of them not see a dirt path, sure. then again, a lot of old ones don't see a rainy day unless they've been sitting in a field rotting away.

/rant
Post #801209 7th Nov 2019 2:12pm
Tim in Scotland

I also think that a lot of the design of the new one is because no human hand will be involved with the construction, everything needs to be accessible by a robot arm that we all know cannot do what a human arm can do. One thing that I think buyers also will be less tolerant of with the new one now that the price is “Premium” is small build issues and paint defects - this vehicle is not a utility/military/ agricultural vehicle and people paying thus sort of money will generate huge volumes of warranty claims if it isn’t built to the high price point or better. It is something that is very slowly dawning on JLR - their production Line QC was terrible until very recently, it could still be improved further. The base model will cost more than I paid for my first FFRR back in 2003, that car was really really well built with the benefit of a few years input from BMW ownership but then in 2011 through to very recently they just lost control of quality possibly due to sales being too successful. The attitude of JLR management and many dealers though still leaves a lot to be desired and is one thing that is putting me off buying another new JLR product, if they get that sorted in the next couple of years ............. In 2018 I purchased my first new non-JLR car, the dealership and Mini could not be more helpful, but one huge advantage they have - in almost 18 months ownership the car has only had to go into the workshop for a software update that couldn’t be done over the air for some reason on my car. The car came back spotlessly clean and with a fully charged up HV battery ready to go with 26 miles electric range , it’s a PHEV, doubt any service agent would put a gallon of fuel into an ICE’d car’s tank Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #801217 7th Nov 2019 3:02pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
King Luis wrote:
either don't realize the regulations that need to be followed with every new vehicle

If Mercedes (G-Wagen), Suzuki (Jimny), Jeep (Wrangler) and it seems Ford (new Bronco) can all design vehicles which meet modern regulations, AND keep the iconic looks, then I'm sure JLR could have done the same with New Defender, had they wanted to.

However, they have decided to take a different route, leaving the past behind.

I wish them good luck with their decision and their desire to shift serious volumes with something that in my opinion is way too complex and expensive to be ever considered as a serious replacement to the last gen Defender.

With a few exceptions, I am sure the new customer base will be very different to the old and most of the new customers will never even get close to exploiting the full capability of the vehicle. (Except perhaps on their free LR Experience Day driving around a cleverly designed track where all is not necessarily as it seems).

I agree, the previous Defender was not the most reliable or best designed automotive product. Cramped driving position, poor roll over protection, badly executed engine/transmission transplants, leaks, panel finish/fit, etc, etc.
My view is that it could have been a lot better with ongoing investment to help its evolution and to ensure it could comply with latest legislation. But for whatever reason this didn't happen.

It's not that I hate the new Defender. I just don't see where it sits in a crowded market and why anyone would buy one at the price point on offer. Too expensive for most to treat as a true go anywhere utility truck. And no doubt very expensive to have it serviced and maintained if my previous experience of Land Rover dealership pricing is anything to go by.
Post #801222 7th Nov 2019 3:58pm
J77

Scotland 
The LR guys told me that they could’ve brought the Defender back exactly as it left production but couldn’t as it’s not what the market wants unfortunately.
Post #801244 7th Nov 2019 5:52pm
dannyson

Yup! - I hear that time and time again but have yet to find anybody on this or the Disco site who has been asked for their input.....

It would be mildly interesting to see their database......
Post #801294 7th Nov 2019 10:52pm
J77

Scotland 
One those surveys where everyone asks for something but no one recalls filling out a form.
Post #801296 7th Nov 2019 10:58pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
I'd be fine with it, if it didn't have "DEFENDER" on the front... Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #801417 8th Nov 2019 10:24pm
ids

United Kingdom 
dannyson wrote:
Yup! - I hear that time and time again but have yet to find anybody on this or the Disco site who has been asked for their input.....

It would be mildly interesting to see their database......

I did one about 5 years ago regarding the new Defender. Was probably around the DC100 time. Never heard anything since !
Post #801498 9th Nov 2019 2:43pm
zilch

Australia 
Tyre Sizes
So with my order, i have gone with the 19" gloss black wheels, the smallest available from the factory for
the P400. However the dealer cannot advise the tyre sizes, its an Off Road Tyre, likely to be the
Goodyear AT Adventure, but i cannot find a 19" spec.. Anyone got any ideas on what the likely
spec will be 255/xx/19, 2xx/xx/19 etc etc i hope its not going to be a 255/50 as on my Sport

Cheers

Jim yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #802318 15th Nov 2019 6:57am
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
7.50 R16...?

I'll get me coat!
Post #802319 15th Nov 2019 7:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 30 <123 ... 789 ... 282930>