↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Air box modification - Do it!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Print this entire topic · 
nitram17

I personally think that the nugget airbox is massively overpriced for what you get especially now since you cannot get that nice looking aluminum inlet anymore .....I am also surprised that uk manufacturers could come up with a decent and competitively priced option ....is this a numbers game?It cannot really be that difficult surely?

Here is a sealed aftermarket unit for a nissan within a more realistic price point

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265258624812?mk...mp;mkevt=1

I know this wont fit and its a bit rustic but it should be doable to make a version for a for a defender !Or adapt one from another vehicle?

Last edited by nitram17 on 7th Dec 2022 10:01am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #973770 7th Dec 2022 9:58am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
finally got the truck back, it was waiting at the indy since 12/12 for heater matrix replacement, on backorder from LR.

Anyway, it's all fitted, and butt dyno says my Puma now pulls even better Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #977766 12th Jan 2023 5:04pm
nitram17

Aesthetically not as pleasing as the billet/cast aluminum original version. I am glad you are pleased with the functionality and i was tempted by the original version but now it looks like something that should be in the 200-350 pound price range!
Post #977806 12th Jan 2023 9:29pm
hornet

The swirling airflow during intake accelerates the humid air so that the droplets hit the inlet pipe of the air filter housing, accumulate there and flow out through the hole. The higher the swirl velocity, the better the separation efficiency. However, the high velocity at this point is accompanied by a high restriction/pressure drop, so it is clear that by eliminating the restriction you get more air for the engine.

What are the long-term experience? Maybe this mechanism is not really needed. But before/after comparisons are also difficult. You would need an original and a modified vehicle in the rain for a long time to be able to really judge that.
Post #978669 18th Jan 2023 3:57pm
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
When I took out the swirly thing from the air box. That morning I had been driving through dense fizzle (fog + drizzle), the inside of the air box was wet but the filter was OK. I'm not sure just how effective the swirly thing is. Throttle response is certainly much better without it.
Post #978674 18th Jan 2023 4:19pm
nitram17

hornet wrote:
The swirling airflow during intake accelerates the humid air so that the droplets hit the inlet pipe of the air filter housing, accumulate there and flow out through the hole. The higher the swirl velocity, the better the separation efficiency. However, the high velocity at this point is accompanied by a high restriction/pressure drop, so it is clear that by eliminating the restriction you get more air for the engine.

What are the long-term experience? Maybe this mechanism is not really needed. But before/after comparisons are also difficult. You would need an original and a modified vehicle in the rain for a long time to be able to really judge that.

Does the fan thingy really accelerate the air?the humid airflow must use some of its own energy to turn the fan so something is lost...it may change the shape of the flow but not the speed of the air.
Post #978719 18th Jan 2023 8:33pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
The fan / swirly thing does not rotate. It’s fixed, the air being sucked through its blades causes the air to swirl.
Post #978724 18th Jan 2023 8:48pm
nitram17

my bad i assumed it spun! Embarassed
Post #978733 18th Jan 2023 9:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456