↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Air box modification - Do it!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
chrisrigbywork@gmail.com wrote:
Hi guys,
Ive currently got a hybrid turbo and a remap with a raised air intake snorkel with a nuggetstuff sealed air box system. At the moment currently my air box cant handle the air intake keeps coming up with change air filter as soon as i put some power down. Any ideas do i need to get rid of the nugget stuff air filter box and go back to standard any ideas would be appreciated it thanks

What RAI do you have? All the "change filter" device does is detect vacuum in the filter box and latch when it considers it to be excessive, i.e., there is insufficient air passing the filter for the engine demand. It is more likely that your RAI is restrictive than the filter, I suspect, and certainly the NS filter is much less restrictive than the original. Getting rid of the indicator would be more sensible than refitting the original airbox (by which I mean if you fitted the indicator to a standard vehicle I reckon it would activate every time you started the engine).

You could try running without the RAI connected to see what happens.

Very occasionally my "change filter" device will activate but if I know the filter to be clean I reset and ignore it. A 2.4 revving at 2500 rpm at full boost and full throttle is trying to pull about 100 litres of air each second through the induction system, so you need the pipework to be as large and free-floating as possible.

(Edit: a quick exercise of mental arithmetic tells me that given the above the air velocity in a 4" induction pipe is approx 30mph, in a 3.5" pipe 40mph, and a 4.5" pipe 22mph. Since the resistance to free flow caused by the pipe will be proportional to the square of the velocity, the need for a big pipe is evident - size, or at least cross-sectional area - really does matter).

Last edited by blackwolf on 13th Nov 2022 9:00am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #970946 13th Nov 2022 8:39am
blackwolf

Naks wrote:
blackwolf wrote:
Way to go, HUGE difference!

Click image to enlarge

how on earth have I not seen this mod before???

damn you, now I have to get one Rolling Eyes

My pleasure! Very Happy
Post #970948 13th Nov 2022 8:45am
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
I have no RAI fitted and my filter replacement indicator is activated nearly every drive .
Nugget 100mm air intake fitted and a stage 2 tune by BAS .
Never really thought much of it and assumed as Blackwolf states ! https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #970950 13th Nov 2022 9:43am
blackwolf

The indicator is really a gimmick rather than a useful feature. If you know the filter is clean and the vehicle is running well, ignore it.

Alternatively replace it with a nitrous delivery nozzle (does nitrous injection work on a diesel)? Rolling with laughter
Post #970952 13th Nov 2022 10:17am
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
I’m bit late to this thread. Looks like a good mod so I thought I’d give it a go.

It’s not often I get stuck but I can’t figure out how to get the air box out without dismantling half the front end. I did loosen off the inlet pipe from the wing to the air box but there was no way that was coming out either.

Any hints and tips greatly appreciated.
Post #971250 15th Nov 2022 8:50pm
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
Hi Steve

It is definitely possible to take it out intact but does require a fair bit of yanking, pulling and twisting ! Some, I know cut the air intake pipe to facilitate removal but It's not necessary.

First prise the intake pip out of the filter box.

I found it easier to remove the bracket which holds the air filter box in place. There are three bolts holding the bracket in place, located behind the front right wheel . You can then remove it as one unit without having to wrestle the box out of it's rubber grommets that hold it in place.

Good luck https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #971299 16th Nov 2022 11:28am
blackwolf

The airbox is fitted on four plastic prongs which fit into elongated rubber grommets which in turn fit in holes on mounting plates fastened to the inner wing. They are absurdly robust in their fixing.

Two of the pegs are on the bottom of the airbox pointing downwards and two are on the side of thebox pointing towards the wing outer panel. You will probably find that the ageing of the rubber grommet has caused it to grip the prong very securely.

When I removed mine for the first time, I used a pry bar to lever the airbox off the prongs. Since that time I was refitting the same box (this was when I gutted it, not when I replaced it with the NuggetStuff filter) I cut the ends off the prongs and lubricated the prongs and the grommets with Vaseline. This made removing and refitting it relatively easy, and it never came adrift with short prongs.

It is advisable to remove the air pipes, the lid of the airbox, and the filter before trying to lever the carcase from its mount in order to give more room for manoeuvre.

The picture here shows the disposition of the prongs.
Post #971313 16th Nov 2022 12:22pm
piechipsandpeas

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
If you have aircon fitted then there is a pipe that will be in the way which means the airbox can't be removed without degassing and removing the offending pipe.
The wing to airbox duct can be removed, I am one of those who cut it in two, it has now been in place with tape holding the 2 halves together for a number of years, and all is good. I would like to do the nugget airbox and duct upgrade at some time.
Post #971322 16th Nov 2022 1:44pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
As well as drilling out the rivets to free up the side bracket you can also undo the bolts that hold on the lower bracket for the airbox. This will give more space to maneuver and wiggle it out. It is possible to get it out without removing the aircon pipe although it is tight. removing the lower bracket also helped me greatly when reinstalling - I found this to be waaay more tricky than removing. When refitting I found that some lube (silicone spray or similar) on the mounting progs helped then slip in a little easier,

Last edited by bodstruck on 16th Nov 2022 3:39pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #971326 16th Nov 2022 2:29pm
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
Thanks guys for the tips. I did not realise that the air was prongs in cups, I thought it was bolted in. Knowing this helps a lot.

Ding ding, round two this evening.
Post #971338 16th Nov 2022 3:30pm
Thug

South Africa 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Indus Silver
Thanks for the info on this airbox mod which I'll do over the weekend.

Going to order myself one of the Nugget Stuff air box kits if I can find a place that has them in stock.

With our exchange rate, replacing the actual airbox is a little prohibitive.
Post #971558 18th Nov 2022 12:32pm
nitram17

Bluericky wrote:
After fitting today, I can absolutely confirm that upgrading to the nugget air intake kit is a fantastic upgrade . Also removed the impeller. It just baffles me as to why a less restricted hose was not put on by Land Rover .
Instant improvement in response from the throttle and just a far smoother ride in every gear and up through the Rev range .
Frankly I think it’s made and equal difference to the BAS remap .

Where did you get your nugget from(any uk suppliers) and was it easy to fit?Im assuming here th ou dont have to have a snorkel as well.
Post #971562 18th Nov 2022 1:23pm
nitram17

chrisrigbywork@gmail.com wrote:
Hi guys,
Ive currently got a hybrid turbo and a remap with a raised air intake snorkel with a nuggetstuff sealed air box system. At the moment currently my air box cant handle the air intake keeps coming up with change air filter as soon as i put some power down. Any ideas do i need to get rid of the nugget stuff air filter box and go back to standard any ideas would be appreciated it thanks

I would check with nugget but i think the change filter indicator mechanism is not comparable with a snorkel with a pre filter fitted ..try taking the filter off and replace with normal inlet or just ignore the sensor.

This is a video from the nugget website .mentions the sensor near the end...

As i say check with nugget!Anyway where do you get the filters from ?are they expensive ?but my main concern would be maintaining supply!
Post #971564 18th Nov 2022 1:54pm
swt

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
The filters are a standard size. A Mahle equivalent is on the Opie Oils website for £15 at present. It's the filter from a Ford Maverick.
Post #971582 18th Nov 2022 4:16pm
blackwolf

Nitram17 wrote:
... I would check with nugget but i think the change filter indicator mechanism is not compatible [recte] with a snorkel with a pre filter fitted ...

Mine seems fine on the whole, but it is an unusually large diameter RAI compared to most COTS products.

In reality the indicator is nothing more than a gimmick and it does nothing significant, so just ignore it.
Post #971587 18th Nov 2022 4:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>