↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > What sort of git does this fly tipping
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
What sort of git does this fly tipping
There is fly-tipping and then there is this. Rubbish dumped along the entire stretch of road near Pontypridd.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales-482...pontypridd For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1

Last edited by gilarion on 16th May 2019 5:20pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #773377 16th May 2019 5:00pm
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
Mindless, senseless vandalism of the countryside Evil or Very Mad
Post #773379 16th May 2019 5:19pm
Barneyboy

England 1986 Defender 90 2.5 n/a Diesel ST Nato Green
Absolutely disgusting Evil or Very Mad our village has suffered a couple of incidents in the last month since our local refuse centre closed down at the end of March Evil or Very Mad but still doesn’t give anyone an excuse to do this, very sad, we have beautiful countryside and it’s being mindlessly defaced by scum

Last edited by Barneyboy on 16th May 2019 5:33pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #773383 16th May 2019 5:29pm
fatboyron

United Kingdom 
I heard on the radio that anyone got caught it will get the maximum fine now
Post #773384 16th May 2019 5:33pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
So you have say a house to clear or asbestos to recycle and someone in a big tipper truck offers you a too good to be true price to take it all away.....hey presto it turns up in a farmers field or down the middle of a country lane. We all have responsibility here not to look the other way. Ask where it is going, get some proof of disposal. If they cant answer the questions it will be for good reason.

This is costing us all thousands to clear up (Council tax - someone has to pay) and if you are the unfortunate land owner a real personal hit. 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #773386 16th May 2019 5:49pm
UtilityTruck

United Kingdom 
Quite right seriesonenut, it’s easy to say it’s not my problem - but if something looks too good to be true, it often is! 2014 Keswick Utility 2.2
Post #773389 16th May 2019 6:41pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I blame councils, because they do their best to stop legitimate disposal by those who really do try to do the right thing.
You’ll notice this episode has been over the last few years that councils have been after a quick buck for themselves.

Fly tipping is a big scourge on greenlanes too, and especially a tyre damage risk Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 18th May 2019 11:37pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #773392 16th May 2019 6:47pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Re: What sort of git does this fly tipping
gilarion wrote:
There is fly-tipping and then there is this. Rubbish dumped along the entire stretch of road near Pontypridd.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales-482...pontypridd

That's a common sight sadly near to where i live, ryhope beach is a favourite for fly tipping. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #773435 16th May 2019 9:14pm
NoDo$h

England 
custom90steve wrote:
....councils have been after a quick buck for themselves.

Not sure who profits here. Councils are funded by taxpayers. When councils have a cost to dispose levied on them by central government, they have to pass that on, either to all taxpayers or to the person disposing of waste. Only fair that those who want to dispose of the waste pay, it shouldn't be distributed across all tax payers (which was the case before commercial tip charges). There's no "quick buck" in this equation, except for those who ignore the reality that their actions have a cost and pass it on to the general public, while pocketing the cash for taking the waste away.

Put simply, the blame is firmly at the door of the tarmac-laying transit-driving scumbags. They're the ones illegally dumping and trousering the cash. 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #773539 17th May 2019 11:17am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The blame lies with the tippers.

However, the cause of this revolting phenomenon is not the local authorities as much as the Government that introduced the Landfill Tax. It is the Landfill Tax that resulted in waste being charged, and as a result caused local authorities (who have a duty to council tax payers to keep council tax under control) to (a) charge for using the tip for many types of waste, and (b) to take steps to ban trade waste from tips.

This is turn is why it is now so difficult as a private citizen to get you waste to the tip if you only have a vehicle like a van or pick-up truck, and why the countryside is now full of bedsteads and other non-chargeable waste. It Is also why the countryside is full of chargeable waste such as fridges dumped by tightwads who won't pay the tip fee for chargeable waste.

However there is no doubt that the worst fly-tipping is from illegal fly-by-night trade waste tippers who probab;y don't have the required Waste Carrier licence, won't pay the trade waste fee, and can make a quick buck of stupid or ignorant customers by offering a too-good-to-be-true price. It is so easy then to tip and drive in a quite place.

So don't blame the councils, they're between a rock and a hard place. Blame the criminals, the moron customers who make the criminality possible, and most of all blame the half-witted Government which thought that making legal tipping expensive would clean up the environment.
Post #773548 17th May 2019 12:13pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Many of you haven’t tried this council then that’s for certain.

I wonder if they have weighed up the income vs fly tip disposal cost and compared.
If the fly tipping side is a very high cost wouldn’t it be better to take away the waste disposal fee back to where it was?

Suppose it depends on the figures, but I’d have thought fly tipping was a bigger issue to sort out than money alone and more important than just funds.

It is certainly a developed problem that is for certain. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #773553 17th May 2019 12:43pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
^^ Two points: (1) I wouldn't mind betting that the fly-tipping clean up costs come from a different budget line and therefore don't equate directly, and (2) if the fly-tipping is on private land it costs the council nothing, it is the landowner or occupier who has to bear the cost.

In fact, if someone dumps a lorry-load of 500 scrap tyres or fridges on your land you probably won't even find anyone who'll investigate for you, it will be considered a civli matter.

Shocking.
Post #773555 17th May 2019 1:10pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Indeed. There is a local Bridleway that I used to be able to drive a couple of years back and adjacent land as had the land owners permission. It was a lovely place to walk etc. You guessed it, fly tipping began on private land. And on the public road combined and a Byway nearby the latter it still happens. Now the landowner/tenant farmer has had to lock up access for all but foot traffic and horse riders because of it.
Of course now we can no longer use that area either and for about the last two years also.

Such a shame, I of course don’t blame the farmer for it but the idiots that kept dumping so ultimately we all lose out. It’s very common on Byways for all vehicular access yet further giving incentive to close routes down forever too.

The annoying thing is there is tech out there that can combat this such as trail cams it persistent areas.
They won’t pull their finger out and do anything about it, but instead just keep collecting it which must cost a damn site more anyway.

There is also the issue due to most modern housing being packed in like sardines when anyone wants to pay for private disposal in vast quantities say a few tonne they often cannot get equipment to the area concerned to collect it.

We have had a private skip hire before in the past, but where one could be located these days is another matter.

As I said, all of these things have been created by the powers at be on inflated pay packets and all of it is paid for by the likes of you and I. Even more testing of ones patience is the fact it need not be the issue it is. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #773557 17th May 2019 1:35pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
^^ Two points: (1) I wouldn't mind betting that the fly-tipping clean up costs come from a different budget line and therefore don't equate directly, and (2) if the fly-tipping is on private land it costs the council nothing, it is the landowner or occupier who has to bear the cost.

In fact, if someone dumps a lorry-load of 500 scrap tyres or fridges on your land you probably won't even find anyone who'll investigate for you, it will be considered a civli matter.

Shocking.

also try and get stuff weighed in now, 10 years ago you could just bring a car boot full or van full of scrap, like a washing machine etc, weigh it in and get a few quid in your hand, Now you cannot even do that now, where I live. The main scrap yard changed owners and rules. So you got to open up an account and then it goes through by check or bank transfer. More of a pain in the arse now sadly. But that was all down to dodgy Censored stealing everything to drains, to plaques sadly.
I am all for keeping the place clean and tidy, and making sure everything that can be recycled is, I have even post computer bits to another country, so that person could make use of them rather than been chucked in for waste. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #773718 18th May 2019 2:43pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
custom90steve wrote:
I blame councils, because they do their best to stop legitimate despiser by those who really do try to do the right thing.
You’ll notice this episode has been over the last few years that councils have been after a quick buck for themselves.

Fly tipping is a big scourge on greenlanes too, and especially a tyre damage risk

Yup me to, i took some old oil to our tip after I had serviced the rib out boards and the guy said I can only leave 5L so I said right I will drive round again then err No that’s 5L every 6 months FFS
Post #773750 18th May 2019 8:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>