↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > 97 years old and still driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I am surprised the Duke was driving alone, when you think of the amount of Royal Protection officers that accompany the Royal Family you would have thought at least one would have accompanied Prince Philip, still he probably just nipped out to the local offie for a bottle of Famous Grouse, his favourite Scotch! For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #752124 18th Jan 2019 2:49pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
I suspect that he likes to get away from it all from time to time.
Shame it came to this 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #752127 18th Jan 2019 2:56pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Or possibly a different type of grouse he was after Rolling with laughter
https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/celebr...0118181525 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #752130 18th Jan 2019 3:07pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
gazman wrote:
gilarion wrote:
Well, that's his no claims Censored . Wonder if he will be giving 'A Plan' a call Laughing . Glad the Duke is OK though.

Her marg a d co dont need or have insurance. I kid you not

Edit actually I could be wrong on this. It might be she doesn't have a licence or need number plates

The Queen passed her test as an Auxiliary Driver in WW2 .. and has been known to drive horse boxes and her 110 all over the various royal estate.
The Duke was also a helicopter pilot and often used to fly the Queens Flight Wessex when he as the chance.

As discussed above, age is not a prerequisite to bad driving, If concentration, spacial awareness, eyesight and coordination are all good then there is no reason why older people cannot drive. Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #752132 18th Jan 2019 3:13pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Prince Philip had a hip operation about a year ago. Part of the pre and post op would have been information and advice about many things and this would have included advice on driving.

I would imagine that the royal family has good access to the medical profession so they would give appropriate advice..

Whilst I am not an ardent royalist, the Queen and Prince Philip do deserve respect for the work load and activities they get up to at their age.

I believe that the local council has been considering lowering the speed limit/installing speed cameras on that section of road.

Brendan
Post #752135 18th Jan 2019 3:32pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I believe there was a passenger in the RR and that is likely to have been a Royal Protection Officer. As an aside I noted that there was barely any mention of the occupants of the other vehicle in the early reports. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #752139 18th Jan 2019 3:43pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Bad luck is bad luck, no reason to think his age had anything to do with. I mean, being hit by a Kia......
Post #752142 18th Jan 2019 4:00pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
No need for any age battle, these things happen at all ages.

Glad everyone involved is generally okay.

I was however a little surprised when the news was first released that it wasn't even mentioned if the occupants of the other vehicle were even alive.
I think that is rather wrong.

I think some of those who chase after the Royals are worse than the Royals themselves to be honest.

I'm sure the Queen would say even herself that Philip was okay after the incident and people should remember, to bear in mind that others were involved to who are also okay luckily.

Regarding the age thing, in my view the current system is just fine.
However, not so sure about the silly reclassification of categories now and HGV requiring reknewal every 5 years etc. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #752143 18th Jan 2019 4:09pm
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Shouldn't the topic title have been "97 years old and still crashing"?

If they had any sense, they're re-open the old King's Lynn to Hunstanton railway line and he could use the station at Wolferton again. Mind you, that's on the opposite side of the A149 to his holiday chalet too!

Joking apart, I just hope it hasn't shaken the poor chap up too much as it's a ghastly thing to happen to anyone and I'd hate it to affect his general health.
Post #752154 18th Jan 2019 5:15pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Quote:

I was however a little surprised when the news was first released that it wasn't even mentioned if the occupants of the other vehicle were even alive.
I think that is rather wrong

Yeah that was a bit off. Especially when there was a 9 month old baby in the car. Thank goodness the only injury was a broken wrist to one of the others. It could have been a lot worse.

I'm sure Philip will be sticking with his "dazzled by the sun" excuse but let's be honest, he must have been driving like a right tit to roll it across the road like that. He's a very lucky ducky to come out unscathed.
Post #752159 18th Jan 2019 5:38pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Has it been reported who hit who, then? All I can find is reports of the aftermath, with nothing on the cause. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #752169 18th Jan 2019 6:00pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
FAKE NEWS

If you believe everything you read in the Daily Mail the D of E has just taken delivery of a brand new "Freelander" to replace the one he wrote off yesterday.

Isn't there anyone in the newsroom of the Daily Mail that knows the difference between a FFRR and a Freelander and that production of the Freelander ceased some years ago.

It's no wonder that social media is killing off the press when they turn out rubbish like this. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #752173 18th Jan 2019 6:14pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Gyles Brandreth was on the radio this morning in the capacity as the Duke's biographer and someone who has known him for 40 years. He suggested that the Duke has always driven like a lunatic and has pranged numerous vehicles. That would be in keeping with his persona as a man of limited patience 'just take the f******' photo' etc. but it is astounding how quickly the media has been to reach conclusions the police haven't yet.

I'm going to wait until I'm 97 to learn to get my motorbike licence, by which time a motorbike will no doubt resemble a mobility scooter.
Post #752174 18th Jan 2019 6:14pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
discomog wrote:
FAKE NEWS

If you believe everything you read in the Daily Mail the D of E has just taken delivery of a brand new "Freelander" to replace the one he wrote off yesterday.

Isn't there anyone in the newsroom of the Daily Mail that knows the difference between a FFRR and a Freelander and that production of the Freelander ceased some years ago.

Whilst I don't disagree with the sentiment, the car he was driving was a Freelander 2. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #752177 18th Jan 2019 6:28pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Has it been reported who hit who, then? All I can find is reports of the aftermath, with nothing on the cause.

Witness account :

Quote:
I was driving home and I saw a car come out from a side road and it rolled and ended up on the other side of the road, and there was a huge collision with another car,” he said.

He said the prince was trapped with his legs in the well of the car. “I asked him to move his left leg and that freed his right leg and then I helped him get out,” Warne said.

“The roof was where the window should have been because it was on its side. I think I helped him out through either the sunroof or the front windscreen, but I’m a bit blurred about that.”

Asked what the prince had said during the rescue, Warne replied: “I can’t remember, but it was nothing rude. He was obviously shaken, and then he went and asked if everyone else was all right.”

Prince Philip was able to stand and walk, but there was “a little blood”, he said, suggesting the prince had been cut, possibly by broken glass.

Warne said of the crash: “I think there’s no doubt that it was hit [by the prince’s car] . That’s my recollection.” I

Of Prince Philip’s vehicle, he said: “I didn’t see it come from the side road. I saw it careering and tumbling across the road and ending up on the other side. It would take a massive force and it had rolled on the other side as well.”
Post #752201 18th Jan 2019 8:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>