Total Votes: 29

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Paullr90

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Sankey trailer modifications
Evening all,
As I've now progressed up to a nice XS 90 I've decided to buy a trailer to carry all the stuff previously swallowed by my 110.
First thoughts were a second hand Ifor trailer but they are mega money (but do hold their value). Being a tight scotsman and handy with a welder I then thought of making one using a 110 hicap rear tub from a mate. Axles and towing couplings are expensive so I ended up buying a wide track, disc braked Sankey trailer with a damaged tub.
An afternoon with the Nigel 9inch and the results are below...

Click image to enlarge

The plan was to paint it the same Bonatti grey as my 90 and run it on the same alloys and tyres.

The difficult bits are -

The alloys won't fit on the axles, even with the axle end cap removed. (the wheels are just resting in place for the photos) - I'm hoping 30mm wheel spacers will do the trick. Has anyone tried fitting boost alloys to sankey axles?

Next, the body overhangs a bit at the back and the proportions don't look right. I've done some crude powerpoint to see if extending the front by a foot looks any better...

Click image to enlarge

The final question is... is it all worth it?
I'm at the stage where I could just put the orginal tub back on and sell it.
How are sankey trailers to live with? This towed 200 miles home fine but did clunk a bit (may need a new damper on the towing coupling)
It is a bit of a pain reversing as it is such a short wheel base.
Should I just save up for a twin axle Ifor williams trailer and know that I can sell it again and how loose any money?

Forum members, It's over to you.

All suggestions and slagging welcome...

Paul. 2003 Td5 90XS
1970 Series 11A 2.25TD
2013 Freelander 2 HSE Lux (the wife's)
Post #69555 3rd May 2011 6:08pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I had a Sankey and found it to be too small, difficult to reverse, a pain to maintain mechanically and rust wise - the big factor was the lack of space for how bleedin heavy it was - I now have an Ifor Williams which is far better plus it is lower so you can drive things straight up onto it. It all depends on the type of use!! The Sankey was designed for off road use. The Ifor is far better for on road use Thumbs Up

I like your mock up though, looks cool and don't think the shorter front looks out of proportion.

A good 6'6" Ifor can be had for £300-£400 Thumbs Up I paid £600 for mine new.....
Post #69557 3rd May 2011 6:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
The 1st pic just looks wrong, it looks like it's on back to front. Can't you turn the tub 180 degrees and un rivet the tailgate and bulkhead and swap them around.
With the axle that far forward on the 1st pic if you loaded it up I would hate to think how badly it would tow with more weight behind the axle than in front of it.
Post #69562 3rd May 2011 6:45pm
Landie Boy

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I personally think its looks nice Smile

Jack
Post #69563 3rd May 2011 6:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Drag mine for thousands of mile across Europe.

I have sold it now as all three of the keds have now grown up.

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #69565 3rd May 2011 7:00pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Have a word with RLD he knows all the ins and outs of sankey trailers extending converting etc
Post #69575 3rd May 2011 7:54pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I love the sankeys. greath things. wide track is better, and has a good (lack of) overhang on the back.

I fif have an older one once, and i picked up a second tub, so chopped about 10" of it off and extended the back over the crossmember. made it slightly roomier without having too much of a overhang.

It really depends on what you want to do with it though.... if it's general lugging stuff around to the tip, engines etc, then an Ifor or similar is fine.

If you want to go off road on anything more severe than a grass field, then a sankey. plenty of ground clearance etc.

With 30mm spacers alloys shouldn't be a problem, although you'll need some kind of wheelarch (ex lightweight aftermarket ones might do)
Post #69691 4th May 2011 8:13pm
Paullr90

Top marks to Sonic, I like the sound of turning the tub around. I certainly sounds easier and neater than cutting down another tub to lengthen the existing one.

I agree with Zagato about the standard Ifor trailer, however when has LandRover ownership been about taking the sensible option...

Got to keep my eye out for a pair of axle spacers and boost alloys now...

I'll keep everyone posted with the results.
Paul 2003 Td5 90XS
1970 Series 11A 2.25TD
Post #69945 6th May 2011 12:42pm
Paullr90

Time for an update on my Hicap trailer.
I took Sonic's cut and shut idea to solve the problem of the pickup body having too much overhang at the rear. First I drilled out the rivets that held the rear tailgate assembly.

Click image to enlarge

The front was a bit trickier, so had to just cut the body as neatly as I could.

Click image to enlarge

At this point I was left with lots of pieces of Sankey trailer and pickup body on the floor wondering if I had done the right thing...

I kept going, spinning the tub around and pop riveting everything back together. The end result was a trailer body that was just a little front heavy and starting to look right.

Click image to enlarge
 2003 Td5 90XS
1970 Series 11A 2.25TD
Post #98486 6th Nov 2011 8:31pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Looking good Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Andy
Post #98488 6th Nov 2011 8:37pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Drool... Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #98491 6th Nov 2011 8:44pm
Sonic3d

Looks much better Thumbs Up
Post #98492 6th Nov 2011 8:45pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Like!
My sankey build is about to restart Thumbs Up
Post #98495 6th Nov 2011 8:51pm
Paullr90

The story continues...
I took the tub down to a mate to spray it up the same colour as my 90.
I wasn't cheap but he did a really good job, especially filling in the fuel filler hole. On the inside he just sprayed it black with a plastic coating. (similar to spray liner, but much thinner).

Click image to enlarge

Chassis wise I chopped the front off the original Sankey and extended it to match the new tub.
I decided to ditch the huge Nato hitch and got a second hand coupling (£10 from ebay). After a fair bit of playing around with the height I welding it all in place.
At the moment the coupling if just connected to the handbrake cable mechanism on the original chassis. I've kept the original lever accuator and master cylinder so will long term plumb the hydraulic disc brakes back in. Not sure what I do about reversing yet. Maybe fabricate some sort of lockout for the coupling. Ideally I'd fit an auto reverse axle from a modern trailer but thats a rather expensive solution. Any suggestions?
The Nato coupling has a lock out but I think the damper on mine is worn out as it clunks about all over the place.
Wheel spacers added and a pair of alloys from Billing (carried the full length of the showground in the rain...) it was all coming together.

Click image to enlarge

The Sankey pivot and lock jockey wheel mount was grafted on the new front end. I works a treat and folds away neatly. I chopped down a spare wheel mount for the front of the tub. It really needs a brace across the chassis to take the weight as the headboard (just like a defender door) bows a bit with the weight of the wheel. Another item on the list of things to do now I've started doing some miles with the trailer.

Click image to enlarge

Wiring was fairly simple. I started to use the original LR pickup loom but to keep it simple ended up just using 7 core trailer wire all round. The front marker lights are just side repeater lights with clear bulbs.

The end result is below...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Looks the business, tows a dream. Had it loaded with logs a few weeks ago (in the builders bags) and heavily loaded with brease blocks today.
Just need to finish off the chequer plate on the other side (cut and bent from 90 sills) and get the hydraulic braking system welded in.

In the end it did cost the same as a second hand Ifor Williams trailer but I'm really pleased with it and was a good summer/ autumn project.

Just need to get my finger out and do the service on the 90 now, and do the pedal mods, and the rehang the doors...
Always something LR related to keep busy with! 2003 Td5 90XS
1970 Series 11A 2.25TD
Post #98508 6th Nov 2011 9:30pm
Sonic3d

Looks really good Thumbs Up
Post #98514 6th Nov 2011 10:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>