31%
 31%  [9]
Total Votes: 29

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Great job Paul - think your perseverance has paid off in the end! Looks great. I'm guessing that it has so far cost you rather a lot more than an Ifor Williams or equivalent, but ultimately it's worth more as something that's much more bespoke. And above anything else . . . it looks the Dog's nuts! Thumbs Up

edit: sorry Paul - just read your earlier post fully. If it only cost the same as a second hand Ifor Williams then it's a total no brainer for me! Much more appealing! 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #98519 6th Nov 2011 11:37pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Did you sort out your reverse lock conundrum? I did have a thought that a solonoid, such as a central locking part or any other that can be found all over the place, linked to a mechanical mechanism on the hitch which could be activated by the reversing light. Connection to the vehicle either by a 12S plug or a seperate DIN plug and socket which would be exclusive to the trailer. If you did use a 12S you could activate the Hi-Cap reverse lights as well in a conventional manner.
Post #98521 7th Nov 2011 12:04am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Mega drooooool Thumbs Up
Would love to do something similar but no way would I get TÜV approval - you have to have road tax, insurance and a separate registration for a trailer here Shocked Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #98529 7th Nov 2011 8:18am
chiefstoker

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
That looks really smart Cool not sure if I would want to abuse it as much as I would my ifor coz its too smart.

Why bother with the extra spare wheel? surely it just gets in the way more often than you are going to have a double puncture Confused

Bit envious really Thumbs Up 2005 TD5 90 Hard Top

Beer 'n Sex 'n Chips 'n Gravy

Post #98631 7th Nov 2011 8:05pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Nice work - looks better now you've sorted the overhangs out Thumbs Up John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #98678 7th Nov 2011 9:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Best trailer ive seen on a landy well done DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #98690 7th Nov 2011 10:16pm
RLD

United Kingdom 
this is my Sanky

have a look on the D3 site for sanky trailers lots of stuff on there Whistle RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #98750 8th Nov 2011 10:58am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RLD

United Kingdom 
from 2 weeks ago the white one is Wiggs of the D3 forum have a look at my sanky build or Wiggs photos RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #98771 8th Nov 2011 1:34pm
XS Pete

England 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
That is a quality bit of fabrication. I want to make one now!

Pete
Post #98874 9th Nov 2011 12:09am
Bows

Wales 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
Paul
Apologies for digging up an old thread. I 'm inspired by this post and I'd like to replace my rusty sankey tub, with one from a 110 hi cap. I'm interested to hear how you mounded the tub to the sankey chassis, was it relatively straight forward? Any pics of that wld be awesome.
Thank you for showing the idea.
Regards
Bows
Post #264107 5th Sep 2013 9:43pm
JWL

Another thread revival but I thought it better to keep things on the forum a little tidier by keeping discussions about Sankey trailers in one place.
I have a narrow track Sankey with a Hi-Cap tub on it and wouldn't mind widening the wheel track. Just had a bit of a think and have begun to wonder about whether getting a Discovery back axle and unbolting the hub assemblies off the axle tubes then joining them together at the right distance apart with a length of tube. Then weld to the tube the spring fixings that could be cut off the existing Sankey axle. By using a Discovery axle it provides disc brakes that could be activated by a master cylinder setup on the drawbar copied from later Sankey systems.
Over the years I've built various trailers from car transporters to specialized farm equipment, the major question is would the trailer then have to be inspected by VOSA, if that were to happen then surely you could get it re-reted on its load carrying capacity due to having hubs from a Discovery that would have a recognised weight rating.
Post #305500 6th Feb 2014 1:46am
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
By the time you have fitted the MK3 hitch/braking system you would have made some significant changes to the chassis, combine that with the new axle and the non standard tub and you haven't got much of your old narrow track left. The Narrow Track is exempt from testing as it is before 2011 but with all those changes it's going to fall into a very grey area. Why not hunt out a MK3 rolling chassis which will give you disks and thhe wider track.

You could look at the cheaper ones with a rotten tub and re-use your HiCap body. www.td5.org
Post #305700 6th Feb 2014 8:52pm
JWL

Yes fair point, I was just thinking about what I have sat in the garden that's to hand. Fabricating a pivot to push on a hydraulic master cylinder to activate the brakes in my eyes is not a huge job. I was wondering more on how far you can go with "upgrading" a trailer before anything like an IVA test is required. There are threads on forums where people have extended the chassis of the trailer, technically are you supposed to take your trailer in for a test if you swop the Nato ring hitch for a 50mm ball coupling. I posted my queries on here as this thread has caught the attention of some who may have changed a bog standard Sankey into a camping trailer and I wondered whether they had put their trailer in for a test. If I did take it for a test then there shouldn't be any reason why I couldn't upgrade the Sankey from a 01 class as Narrow Tracks are rated at 0.75 tonnes to an 02 class which would be up to 3.5 tonnes.
Post #305736 6th Feb 2014 10:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12