↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > 100" Defender Hybrid - A Nod to Land Rover's Heritage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
TDCi Guy

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi HCPU Auto Keswick Green
Procta wrote:
Looking great there!! I wonder if mark evans used 130 parts for his, How easy is it to make a 100"?

Most that I’ve seen including Mark Evans’ use cut down 110 tubs. I have seen one with a 110 hi cap tub which was mounted really high and bobtailed which I think I have a photo of somewhere. I haven’t seen one done with a 130 tub but have heard that a few do/did exist. Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT
Post #719812 26th Jul 2018 10:29am
Procta

United Kingdom 
What do people use these for? trails are for general use? Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #719815 26th Jul 2018 11:49am
Procta

United Kingdom 
richcl wrote:
Good luck with the build.
Here's my 100 inch Hybrid that I built in the mid 1990's.
It was based on a two door Range Rover chassis.

Click image to enlarge

That looks like its factory! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #719816 26th Jul 2018 11:50am
L110CDL

England 
Great up date, many thanks, starting to take shape now Very Happy Thumbs Up

Procta you must get the DVD, great watch Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #719889 26th Jul 2018 8:44pm
Neilios

England 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi HCPU Keswick Green
Nice project, any pictures of the frame mounting the chassis and other panels too please, I have a 130 body and an old Disco!!!!
Post #719913 27th Jul 2018 4:59am
TDCi Guy

Click image to enlarge

This is the only photo I can find of the frame, i’ll take one of the finished product tomorrow. Basically the bulkhead is bolted to the rock sliders, there is a box section piece I’ve added to the rock sliders to pick up on the disco body mounts which aren’t in that picture. I’ve then used the body outriggers from the donor 90 and welded them to the box section across the back. There’s two more pieces of box section added to pick up on two more of the disco body mounts and the seatbelt mounts are also welded to that rear piece of box. Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT
Post #720026 27th Jul 2018 9:39pm
HK07

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
Hk07
Great project, looking forward to following this one.

Great colour BTW. 2007 90 Puma - Love it - Best car I have ever owned.

1989 Ninety 200tdi - Love it - Second best car I have ever owned.

1951 80" Series 1 - Love it - Third best car I have ever owned.
Post #720042 28th Jul 2018 5:34am
Neilios

I have been looking at almost building a ring beam and rubber mounts to pick up the cab mounting points, I have also been looking at the P38 chassis as well, it would be nice to see any more details when you find them. Keep up the good work.
Post #720046 28th Jul 2018 6:55am
TDCi Guy

If i didn't already have the Disco 1 I would have attempted to do this project with a Disco 2, the only problem is that the chassis are prone to turning into dust before the bodies do.

I got a few more pics of the body frame yesterday.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT
Post #720166 29th Jul 2018 8:36am
Neilios

That’s pretty much how I thought you would do it, I would maybe incorporate the seat box into the structure for sideways strength, my Disco 1 is currently a pickup and the P38 is mint underneath it’s only the wiring which puts me off! Keep up the good work.
Post #720169 29th Jul 2018 8:42am
Procta

United Kingdom 
how close are the disco chassis compared to the defender? Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #720205 29th Jul 2018 12:21pm
TDCi Guy

I seem to have neglected this thread and all the original pictures have disappeared so I will add those back in! Anyway a long overdue update.

The original single piece lift-up handle doors were quite crusty so I decided to buy new series-style doors with a view to keeping hold of the single piece ones and repairing them at some stage.
New panels are so much nicer to work on than old ones, unfortunately the primer coating they came with was already flaking off in places as they weren't etch primed so I had to completely rub them down, etch prime and then paint.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next up was the suspension, I've gone for the Gwyn Lewis challenge kit with +5" Terrafirma shocks, they're the adjustable kind but time will tell if turning the knob actually makes any difference to them. As mentioned earlier I'd fitted "police spec" springs and spring isolators.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Refurbed the original pedals and swapped the auto larger footpad from the Discovery pedal onto the Defender one

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT
Post #780274 5th Jul 2019 11:49am
TDCi Guy

Around this time I moved the truck from the yard to my garage, this meant that I have a covered area to work on it and had more convenient access to it. The down side is that the garage is a bit on the cramped side and the drive is even tighter. Plan is to knock a hole through the back wall of the garage and have a larger covered parking/working area behind the garage in the garden.

Click image to enlarge

Once it was home the next step was to start emptying the boxes of parts I've had stored.

I had a full set of LED lights including headlights which I had fitted to my Puma so I tried them on.

I also tried on the stage 1 V8 grill that I've had sitting around for years, notice that I'd filled the holes on the radiator surround panel in anticipation.

I fitted the wing top chequer plate and the new extended wheel arches from Britpart.

Click image to enlarge

I then started building up the cab.

Click image to enlarge

Next up was raptor coating, I did the inside of the rear tub in this and think it looks great, should be really hard wearing. I used a shultz gun at the recommended pressure and its come out nice and textured.

Click image to enlarge

Then I decided to paint the roof with the raptor as well, I'd already painted it gloss black but I don't have any pictures. As soon as it came out of the gun I knew it was going to look carp, the roof was just too dented. I thinned down the raptor and sprayed it with a normal gravity fed spray gun for a flatter finish, I think it looks quite good.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Tub and roof back home and fitted.

I also moved the gearbox oil cooler behind the grill using some barbed fittings and a length of hydraulic hose.

Painted the radiator, oil cooler and intercooler black so they didnt stand out as much against the grill.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Starting to look more like a truck again! Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT
Post #780275 5th Jul 2019 11:58am
TDCi Guy

On to sound proofing the cab now, I got a couple of packs of Silent Coat and some adhesive closed cell foam.

Did the doors with both.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I'm planning to fit the Mud door cards at some point, I think they look quite smart.

I Silent Coated the roof, I have a headlining but it needs re-covering so I will leave it out for now. Gave the tatty sun visors a few coats of satin black.

Click image to enlarge

Back on to the rear tub now, I prefer the NAS style lamps on the back of a hi cap so I went for an LED set, made up some plinths to hold them too.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I had the tub off to make up the rear brake lines so fitted the Gwyn Lewis rear removable mud flap brackets and new mud flaps.

Click image to enlarge

Had a go at tidying up the rear loom, making good any dodgy connections including a handful of rotten butt crimps, fitting newer style Econoseal connectors for the lights and rewrapping it.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Onto the brakes, I've fitted the Discovery servo and master cylinder to the Defender pedal box, it just needed some alternate holes drilling in the box to fit. The fluid reservoir is at a bit of an angle but it should be fine as long as I leave it topped up. I've replicated the Discovery brake system and used the PRV from the Discovery.

Click image to enlarge

As I've previously mentioned I've fitted 110 front and rear calipers and discs to hopefully get a bit more performance out of the brakes.

The flexible brake lines have been swapped for Llama4x4 extended lines, just need to P clip everything to tidy it up.

Click image to enlarge

And finally almost up to date!

Last night I got the bottom half of the dashboard fitted. You could see in some of the earlier bulkhead pictures that the old dashboard was wrecked. I peeled off all the original plastic/rubber covering and re-covered in in a faux suede fabric, it doesn't look too bad, definitely better than what it was anyway. After I'd taken off the original covering I found two perforated rectangle sections around DIN size, I thought I could make use of them in the future for radio and CB so I cut them out before re-covering.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And then finally I have test fitted the seats, need to make something to lift the back ends of the rails up so they can push back over the seatbox lip. I also want to try to make the passenger one tip forward if possible to make getting to the battery a bit easier.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT
Post #780290 5th Jul 2019 3:20pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Great work! Nearly there? Thumbs Up Bow down James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #780291 5th Jul 2019 3:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>