Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
JASON B

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Windscreen frame corrosion

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hi, I,m after some help and advice please,
I have a defender 2013 model and the windscreen frame has started to corrode again on the gutter,
The frame was replaced the 1st time all under warranty then it started to corrode again in the same place so they removed it again and it was resprayed again, checked the other morning and the same place is corroding again scraped the paint away a little and it had powdered a little bit Sad Sad , this will be the 3rd time now and I,m getting really _ _ _ _ _ _OFF and I don't really want to take it back but it still has paint warranty , I keep going back and forth to Marshall Landrover in Milton don't get me wrong but they have been excellent in service and loan vehicles , but they use top gun refinishing to do all their paintwork ,could the problem be faulty windscreen frame or another problem, I have temporarily used paint touch up to stop it getting worse,

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

have totally sealed windscreen rubber but the problem with corrosion seems to be on the gutter please see photos,
Any advice and direction to go would be a great help
Post #694064 17th Mar 2018 4:14pm
UtilityTruck

United Kingdom 
I’ve had this once and no doubt it will come back. I think part of the trouble is the windscreen rubber doesn’t really keep the water out, rather it traps it against the paint. The surround is also aluminium or similar which the paint doesn’t stick to well.

I would like to find a permanent fix. One thought that occurred was a windscreen surround made of a different material, or a better seal? Not sure if anything is available commercially. 2014 Keswick Utility 2.2
Post #694125 17th Mar 2018 8:14pm
Grapax

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Alaska White
I have a 2014 110 and this has small bubbled paint area on windscreen also, it’s booked in for warranty repair next month so hope this gets sorted first time, but this does sound like an issue many other owners have found
Post #694477 18th Mar 2018 8:40pm
JASON B

Windscreen corrosion
Make sure they completely seal the windscreen rubber to frame and all the foam seals to bulkhead and roof, also fit some ally billet brackets and good luck, went to Marshall Landrover today and they took some photos, it’s got to be a faulty frame for the corrosion to come back for third time since December 2017 my poor old roof has got to be lifted again , another week in the garage, it’s getting a bit embarrassing now Sad , I think I can let go of the steering wheel now and it will find it’s own way to the garage, everything else is perfect Very Happy
Post #694487 18th Mar 2018 9:24pm
Grapax

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Alaska White
Thanks for advise
Post #694494 18th Mar 2018 9:39pm
AndyT66

England 2004 Defender 90 2.5 TD XS CSW Zambezi Silver
It's been interesting to read the the posts on corrosion and required warranty work on some of the newer Defenders. I have a 2003 and apart from the door bottoms the paintwork is still very good all over with no localised areas of rust and paint failure. So why is this happening ?. The transition from solvent to water based paints circa 2007 ? The paint thickness? The preparation of the body prior to painting? The quality control of the production line? Any thoughts?
Post #694497 18th Mar 2018 9:47pm
JASON B

Windscreen corrosion
Possibly paint thickness , what about storage of the windscreen frames as they are cast aluminium any slight damp in warehouse or transportation even the paint shop, 2 weeks after the new frame was fitted the seams on the gutter slightly opened up causing paint to split then corrosion set in , so is it a faulty frame, this is an issue that Landrover need to look into
Post #694504 18th Mar 2018 10:00pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
My local paint shop has done several defenders over the last couple of years all with the same issue and only on one side
He feels that the problem is the way that the windscreen is fitted in the factory - the pain inside is scratched and the seals are not a perfect fit so with the scratched side and some dampness the corrosion sets in ...

(just had mine done this month ...!) Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #694516 18th Mar 2018 10:23pm
JASON B

That’s interesting the original factory fitted frame was ok on the gutter for corrosion, the reason it was replaced the first time was corrosion from the brackets, and now I’ve got problems with corrosion on which looks like a seam , but I see what you mean if they pull that cord round to fit new screen it will scratch the paint.
Post #694522 18th Mar 2018 10:41pm
ginjez

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 ST Santorini Black
I'm told that vehicles with heated screens suffer the worst because the glass is thicker and the windscreen rubber doesn't seal as well as non heated.
Post #694724 19th Mar 2018 8:32pm
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
My 2012 is going for its second and final windscreen frame and rear door. In fact they´ll be swapping out one complete tub side as well. It really is pathetic how bad the replacement parts are, and how quickly they corrode again. My dealer is quite conscientious and tries to improve on JLR´s quality, but still can´t seem to make much difference.

The corrosion is all minor stuff on the surface but it is obvious how it will develop if not attended to. Fluid film and various treatments aren´t enough to counter the poor factory quality.

My Landy gets to see quite a bit of salt, and even though I wash it off regularly, the results after each winter are disappointing. 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MT´s,
Recaro CS´s, anorak, wellingtons
Post #694736 19th Mar 2018 9:00pm
JASON B

Mine is not heated, had some excellent news today Marshall Landrover are going to replace the complete windscreen frame again and all the parts required at their Newbury bodyshop in approx 3 weeks
Post #694738 19th Mar 2018 9:01pm
JASON B

I,d be disappointed if I brought the new Landrover 70th edition for £150000 and the corrosion problems started to happen Big Cry
Post #694740 19th Mar 2018 9:08pm
ginjez

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 ST Santorini Black
Bodged mine. Dread to think what dealers do to repair this fault. I'd rather do this than have the worry.

Click image to enlarge
Post #694742 19th Mar 2018 9:09pm
JASON B

Can’t understand why Landrover has not done anything about this as the dealerships have replaced loads of these time and time again, the defender is an excellent vehicle and not exactly cheap to buy , mine is immaculate I wash and wax it regularly and then the dreaded corrosion comes back in the same place, which means another trip to dealers and another week being repaired, surely there is a cure or an alternative to this problem
Post #694751 19th Mar 2018 9:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>