↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > An Anorak's Utility Station Wagon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 54 of 57 <123 ... 5354 555657>
Print this entire topic · 
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Geo I can recommend them and CSI parts in general.

I also picked up the screw covers for the sunvisors. Look good but require a bit of adhesive or blu-tack to help with the friction fit. Make it look finished though 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #979592 24th Jan 2023 4:03pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quote:
Geo I can recommend them and CSI parts in general.

I also picked up the screw covers for the sunvisors. Look good but require a bit of adhesive or blu-tack to help with the friction fit. Make it look finished though

Great thanks Rosco Thumbs Up
Post #979595 24th Jan 2023 4:16pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
As I am, on occasion, a complete tart I've replaced the bolts that I put in the B pillar holes with some nice flanged black ones Cool

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #980670 31st Jan 2023 2:19pm
LandRoverAnorak

One's a crude money pit and the other's a 400 year old cottage...

Click image to enlarge

A site visit this week provided the opportunity for a pose in front of this place, which really is a money pit Rolling Eyes Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #981175 3rd Feb 2023 10:23pm
LandRoverAnorak

Receiver Hitch - Step
Inspired by the conversation in THIS THREAD, I've bitten the bullet and ordered a Smittybuilt receiver step from the States. They're not cheap and it's bloomin' heavy but a discounted price and free delivery via Amazon eased the way.

Click image to enlarge

Despite the universal nature of receiver hitches, it was a very tight fit in my Safari Equip hitch and needed to be persuaded into position with a mallet and block of wood. Removing it will be fun but that's a problem for future me to deal with Rolling Eyes

Once in place, it does exactly what it says on the tin, providing a very solid and low profile step. Apparently, it's also strong enough to use for recovery, too.

Click image to enlarge

It's not quite as obtrusive as the NATO hitch that I've been running around with for the last few months:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #983749 26th Feb 2023 1:43pm
LandRoverAnorak

Battery
Slower that usual starting and the tell-tale chirp of the BBUS on really cold mornings was the cue for a new battery. As the existing was the original and now more than 10 years old, I wasn't too disappointed.

After reading around the forum and doing a bit of research on the Tayna website, I went for this YBX5019 Silver from Yuasa. It's 100amp/900CCA, which compares favourably with the original 90amp/830CCA, and comes with a five year warranty:

Click image to enlarge

It's also the same one that I fitted to my wife's D4 in December and it's interesting/alarming to note that it's gone up in price by nearly £12 in that time Shocked

Fitting was a bit involved as it's necessary to remove the second battery before I could get to the main one. All in and secured now, though:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #984477 5th Mar 2023 3:47pm
ashcurrie

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Santorini Black
Can I ask when you refer to the chirp of the BBUS was it on unlocking it happened and is this generally a sign of the battery losing health? I ask as my new to me 2.4 of a few weeks has just started chirping when I unlock the car.

Battery looks great and I will take note of it Thumbs Up 1992 Defender 90 SW 200Tdi
2008 Defender 110 USW
Post #984508 5th Mar 2023 6:12pm
LandRoverAnorak

Yeah, the BBUS is basically voltage sensitive as it's designed to sound if the battery is disconnected, which might happen if somebody were trying to disable the alarm system. If the main battery is low and the vehicle is started then its voltage can get dragged down below the threshold that the BBUS sees as it being disconnected. If the vehicle still starts then the voltage goes up again and the BBUS turns off, hence the chirp.

I'm not sure how that translates to unlocking the vehicle, though, as that wouldn't produce the same pattern of the battery voltage dropping and then climbing again. Are you sure that it's the BBUS sounding or is it the horn? If the latter then I think that's indicative of a low battery in the fob. Darren

Post #984539 5th Mar 2023 9:07pm
ashcurrie

Did a bit of investigating this afternoon. Turns out Fuse no 6 in the secondary fuse box was blown and it must have been altering me to that. Replaced the 15amp fuse and I now have flashing indicators when unlocking/locking and the chirp has stopped when unlocking. Appreciate the reply and help. 1992 Defender 90 SW 200Tdi
2008 Defender 110 USW
Post #984616 6th Mar 2023 5:50pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Bear in mind if a fuse has blown, there’s a short or a problem present so you really should investigate it ASAP and not just replace the fuse.
Unless, you know it was an accidental short or something like that caused by moving connections around or some thing like that. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #984632 6th Mar 2023 7:43pm
ashcurrie

Absolutely have some more fault finding to do, to find the root cause. The joys of new Land Rover ownership! 1992 Defender 90 SW 200Tdi
2008 Defender 110 USW
Post #984642 6th Mar 2023 9:58pm
LandRoverAnorak

5th Anniversary
Slightly late as I wasn't around last weekend but the 16th March was the 5th anniversary of buying my Defender. It was 10 years old in January, so I've owned it for very nearly half of its life. Anyway, it seemed like a good excuse for a bit of a stock-taking exercise, so here goes:

Mileage

During my ownership, it's covered 29423 miles, a bit less than half of its 66.5k total.

Fuel

I've filled it up 98 times at a total cost of £7184.62 Shocked
My best recorded tank to tank fuel consumption is 30.1mpg and the worst is 22.8. The latter followed a 'spirited' motorway run on the speed limiter Whistle The lifetime average is 25.6.

Running Costs

I've spent £5803.13 on servicing and repairs and a further £3630.82 on tax and insurance. I've also spent considerably more than both of those on modifications Embarassed

Maintenance

The only out and out show stopper has been failure of the ignition switch. Beyond that, there's been replacement of consumables such as brake pads, shocks and bushes. I've spent quite a lot on chasing driveline clunks, which has resulted in replacement of the intermediate drive shaft, rear half shafts, rear diff, A frame joint and rear prop UJ's. I took the opportunity to upgrade all of those components at each stage.

It's fair to say that this Defender is considerably more expensive to run than my wife's Discovery 4, which just seems to need fuel and an annual service! I get a buzz every time I look at it though, and still have lots of plans for the future, which tends to be limited only by the amount of time I have to spend on it Rolling Eyes

Anyway, enough of all that. Here's some up to date pictures of it looking moody in the grey afternoon drizzle:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #986949 26th Mar 2023 9:25pm
LandRoverAnorak

BAS Remap
As a sort of anniversary present, I've gone and bought a BAS 150 remap, which I applied with my Gap IID tool. Apart from having to buy a licence first (it was originally bought for Discovery 3 and 4 ownership), the process went completely smoothly. I exchanged emails with Pete Bell yesterday evening and then applied the map earlier today.

Click image to enlarge

I've been through this process with other vehicles so I kind of knew what to expect, but even so it's all slightly anti-climatic. Taking the power from 122 to 150bhp does not turn a Defender into a rocket ship. Even less so in my case as the installation of a Nakatanenga snorkel in place of the original restrictive intake duct had already transformed the performance when compared to a standard vehicle. What the new map does do though, is greatly increase drivability. The engine feels smoother, particularly at lower revs, and progress up through the gears is much more enjoyable. Time will tell if there's any change to fuel consumption, either way, but overall I'm very pleased Very Happy Darren

Post #986951 26th Mar 2023 9:37pm
LandRoverAnorak

A bit if minor maintenance this weekend: firstly I repainted the air intake blanking plate that was fitted as part of my raised air intake install, as it had started to go rusty around the edges. A rub down on the bench grinder, a couple of coats each of primer and satin black all finished with lacquer and it's good to go again. Shows up the dust, though!

Click image to enlarge

Next time, I might make an aluminium or plastic replacement Rolling Eyes

Second job was to replace a headlight bulb. I've been using these bulbs for just over two years and the work really well. I was hoping to get a bit longer out of them, if I'm honest though.

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #990077 23rd Apr 2023 4:39pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
In between doing some bits on my 90 and dodging the endless showers, I managed to get a few bits done to my 110 today. Simple stuff first - a VW '99' variable wiper relay:

Click image to enlarge

Next up was a badge for the front grill. This was a bit of a pain as I first had to remove a couple of security stickers, which are obviously designed to be difficult to remove Rolling Eyes Still, a bit of heat, scraping and meths and they eventually gave in.

Click image to enlarge

Finally, I adapted a Tuff Lift Wolf spare wheel sling for the rear door:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

These things are great. They take a bit of faffing to set up properly but once done, make mounting the spare wheel much easier.

Have you got a copy of the instructions for this? basically its the two straps that have eyelets in i want to know more about, Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #991711 6th May 2023 7:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 54 of 57 <123 ... 5354 555657>