Post Reply  Down to end
Page 29 of 57 <123 ... 282930 ... 555657>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Oh, and I cleaned it again and felt the need to pose:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #812069 26th Jan 2020 4:07pm
LCJ

Saw this looking very clean this morning (I let you out onto the Old Portsmouth in fact). Definitely better without the guards, but a very nice vehicle all round
Post #812136 27th Jan 2020 9:04am
LandRoverAnorak

Ha ha, small world. Thanks for that Very Happy Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #812161 27th Jan 2020 12:24pm
L110CDL

England 
You just have to take a pic of the landy when clean and a good pose there LRA Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #812383 28th Jan 2020 9:07pm
LandRoverAnorak

LED Headlight Bulbs
After reading about them in THIS THREAD, I bought a pair of LED H4 bulbs from Classic Car LED's, which arrived in a very nicely packaged box:

Click image to enlarge

These are designed to closely mimic the physical characteristics of a regular H4 bulb with two sets of LED's positioned in the same way as halogen filaments, so as to work correctly with the headlight reflector. Unfortunately, the first set that I received were faulty in that they were wired backwards internally, meaning that the LED's for main beam lit when dipped was selected and visa versa. After a brief email conversation with the proprietor of Classic Car LED's, they were swapped for a new set, which I've now successfully installed. The photo's below are from the original installation, but the process is exactly the same.

The bulbs are a neat piece of engineering and are adjustable for different types of headlights. A set of simple instructions are included, as well as the necessary Allen key. In practice, mine were already set up as recommended, but it's worth checking that the grub screws are tight as it's easy to change the alignment when fitting the heat sink later.

Click image to enlarge

With the headlight removed, fitting the LED bulb is exactly the same as a standard H4, with the exception of needing to unscrew the large alloy heat sink from the rear:

Click image to enlarge

Then the rubber dust shield is added, which fits neatly over the end of the bulb:

Click image to enlarge

And finally the heat sink is screwed back into place:

Click image to enlarge

The LED bulbs each have a separate control box or 'driver', which must be secured behind the headlight. I chose to do this by drilling two 7mm holes in the plastic wheel arch liner and using a large-cable-tie to hold it in place. The driver has a two connectors: one for the existing three pin headlight wiring and one for the rear of the bulb. I decided to capture the existing wiring with the cable-tie securing the driver to prevent it bouncing around loose behind the headlight:

Click image to enlarge

The only variation when I installed the second set of bulbs was that I covered the holes in the wheel arch liner with a piece of duct tape and then introduced a slit to thread the cable-tie through, which reduces the capacity for crud to enter.

With the driver secured as shown, the connector to the headlight was ideally placed to make it easy to attach it:

Click image to enlarge

And finally, with the bulb in place:

Click image to enlarge

Just about visible in that last picture are the two 'wings' that shield the outermost sets of LED's, directing their light to the top of the headlight bowl to generate the dipped beam pattern. The inner unshielded LED's illuminate the whole bowl to create main beam.

After fiddling around with the adjusters to get the best alignment, I'm pleased with the results. The dipped beam pattern is perhaps a little variable immediately in front of the vehicle but you soon get used to it. Main beam is very good and because the light is crisply white, it illuminates much better than regular halogens. I may now have to do something about the relatively yellow sidelights, though Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

Beyond the light output, these bulbs have an added benefit of a much lower current draw than halogen bulbs and so should also prolong the life of the headlight switch. Darren

Post #813314 2nd Feb 2020 10:11pm
L110CDL

England 
Will be interesting to see what you can find to replace the yellow side lights and i see the grills are back on Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #813815 5th Feb 2020 8:44pm
LandRoverAnorak

Ah, no that picture was taken during the first attempt with what turned out to be faulty bulbs. This is what it looks like at present:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #813827 5th Feb 2020 9:09pm
LandRoverAnorak

I had a bit of a field trip to the New Forest yesterday and managed a couple of photo stops under a moody sky:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #813828 5th Feb 2020 9:11pm
L110CDL

England 
Nice to see the grills are still off and looking at the pic with the grills on, imo i think off does look better Very Happy

You can see the led headlights are allot brighter in the pics above Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #813836 5th Feb 2020 9:31pm
LandRoverAnorak

LED Side, Fog and Reverse Light Bulbs
A few minor bits and pieces today involving lights. First job was to fit some ferrite rings to the headlight wiring as the recently fitted LED bulbs were causing radio interference:

Click image to enlarge

I bought a pack of 20 in various sizes and needed the second to largest to encapsulate all three wires to each headlight:

Click image to enlarge

Whilst at the front, I also fitted some LED sidelight bulbs as the original yellow ones looked faintly ridiculous (and faint) next to the headlights:

Click image to enlarge

The bulbs I used were these, again from Classic Car LED's, which are the same colour temperature as the headlight bulbs:

Click image to enlarge

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/...&_ss=r

At the rear, I fitted a ferrite ring to the high level brake light wiring, which I'd converted to LED some time ago:

Click image to enlarge

I can only assume that my recently fitted JVC head unit is more sensitive than the original Alpine, as the interference that this light caused has only been noticeable since the swap.

Finally, I fitted LED bulbs to the fog and reverse lights:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The bulbs, which are designed to mimic the 21w filament originals, once again came from Classic Car LED's:

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collectio...21w-glb382
Over all, I'm very pleased with the results. Darren

Post #815904 18th Feb 2020 10:14pm
LandRoverAnorak

MoT
The other thing that I did today was take the Land Rover for it's MoT:

Click image to enlarge

It passed eventually, but not before I rectified a stupid mistake! In my rush to fit the ferrite rings to the headlight wiring, I'd inadvertently re-fitted one headlight 90 degrees out, so the beam pattern was vertical instead of horizontal Embarassed Fortunately, ten minutes with a screwdriver in the car park saved my blushes. Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 19th Feb 2020 7:58am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #815914 18th Feb 2020 10:53pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Interesting reading about the ferrite rings. We've slowly lost radio signal and can now only seem to get Kiss FM which is not ideal. I'm not sure it is a LED light issue as the radio worked fine initially but it might be worth trying the ferrite rings if they work and are inexpensive? James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #815924 19th Feb 2020 5:51am
LandRoverAnorak

The rings aren't expensive - £13.24 for a pack of twenty in different sizes from eBay. However, a slowly deteriorating signal suggests a corroding earth connection, which won't be fixed by a ferrite ring. Darren

Post #815936 19th Feb 2020 8:04am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
That's what I thought, but thanks for the reply. Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #815942 19th Feb 2020 8:21am
L110CDL

England 
Great she passed the MOT Darren Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #816200 20th Feb 2020 8:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 29 of 57 <123 ... 282930 ... 555657>