↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Anyone use a cheap led light bar or spots?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Anyone use a cheap led light bar or spots?
Ok so toying with the idea of a light bar.

Prices all over the place, so what's the score with the cheap ones?

52" curved or straight with fittings for £100 or so? I was looking at a light bar bracket on its own for almost that.

Also spot lights for a light bar...again the cheaper led ones any good?

Pictures would be good.

I appreciate you probably get what you pay for but a Lazer? Make are big bucks and only will be used for me in frequently Smile

Thanks
Post #671582 17th Dec 2017 10:44pm
Harryb450

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I had one on my old 90, it was a 20” one if I remember correctly. It was only cheap and cheerful led, but the light it gave was fantastic NO ROAD..........EXCEPT FOR LANDROVER
Post #671596 17th Dec 2017 11:09pm
Alex1976

England 
I have used some cheap LED spot lights and also a light bar that I sourced from eBay. They performed very well and had light output that was as good as the premium brands. I did side by side comparisons with other lights on friends defenders and it was hard to tell the difference.

I think that mid level lights and cheap lights have little to differentiate between them. Possibly all made in the same factory to the same standards in China. The only difference is what brand they stick on them at the end of the production line.

The real premium lights that are high end and not made in China I do think stand above the rest as they are genuinely a better quality both in terms of build and light quality.

So I would say buy cheap or buy premium, but don’t bother with the mid range.

Just my two pence worth.....
Post #671597 17th Dec 2017 11:10pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I’ve just bought another rigid industries one, 20” about 16,000 lumens was about £600 - really pleased with the output
Post #671613 17th Dec 2017 11:51pm
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Plus one for rigid Industries lights fantastic bits of kit but far from cheap Big Cry 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #671618 17th Dec 2017 11:58pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
I have a pair of cheapy ebay spots on my roof rack. Cost around £120 for the pair. The power rating is nonsense as usual (claimed 120W each, more like 65W each) however 65W of LED is still a hell of a lot. They produce an impressive wall of light, but the throw isn't amazing. I have HID spotlights on the front bumper for that! A lot of the videos I've seen for more expensive LED lighting look to have a similar problem with throw though.

Click image to enlarge
Land Rover at the Cider Farm by Mike Redgrave, on Flickr

Dashcam footage but:
Dipped by Mike Redgrave, on Flickr

HID by Mike Redgrave, on Flickr

Dipped+HID+LED by Mike Redgrave, on Flickr
Post #671657 18th Dec 2017 9:33am
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hi there!

I have 2 cheap Nilight LED bars in my Defender (less than 25 GBP each) bougth in Amazon and installed 1 year ago and are working quite fine and without any trouble.

Good output (probably less than they claim buts its OK) and the build looks strong enought to the use that I have.

if somebody try to stollen it the loss will be minimal Smile

Cheers!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012CGFO...&psc=1 Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #672025 19th Dec 2017 3:57pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Thanks

At that price well worth a try Thumbs Up
Post #672027 19th Dec 2017 4:02pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
We run lazer lamps light bars on race truck and they are superb, great spread asked nice intensity.

On the other side of it I have won cheaper 12" asked 24" light bars and they work really well to for what they are. One of them is on the mower, does the job there!

Like for like size wise and bulb pattern they don't have the distance compared to lazer lamps Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #672049 19th Dec 2017 6:21pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I have a 16" and a 12" and they are brilliant so far, spot and flood combined.

If they don't last, they don't break the bank and I was actually really really impressed!

The more very very pricey parts you fit, the more theft vulnerable it would be so I'm very happy.

Very high IP rating and a 7D lense design.

Most, what ever you buy with what ever fancy labelling it has are made in the same factories.

I prefer mine on the front, I'm not a fan of roof lightbars. BUT, each to their own if they do.

I think Halogen spots and HID are going a little out of date now, would I go back? No. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 20th Dec 2017 9:43pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #672052 19th Dec 2017 6:32pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
I still prefer the warmer output and better colour rendering of halogen and hid for driving by, LEDs are starting to catch on but have got a way to go for car applications!

Also not always a fan of the roof lights, I love the way mine look, and in the dry they're great, but if there's fog or rain they basically blind you. Great for working by though
Post #672328 20th Dec 2017 8:37pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
For an LED light bar (Optional Driving Light) it has to be wired to either go dip or switch off automatically when main headlights go from main beam to dip beam. It also has to have a valid APPROVAL mark on it. Below is an example of a genuine APPROVAL mark.

Click image to enlarge

The idea that the cheap LED lights come out of the same factories as those making respected brands and using the same LEDs is to put it mildly wrong. We get emails on a regular basis offering us cheap and I mean dirt cheap headlights, however they are not from the same factories that make Nolden, Vision X, Truck-Lite, J. W. Speaker.

Now some traders claim they use say Cree LEDs. Now are the cheap LED bars actually using genuine Cree LEDs?

Now IF the cheap bars are actually using genuine Cree LEDs what BIN are they buying the LEDs out of? Each LED product line have several BINs of different qualities. Do you believe the cheap light bar manufacturers buy from the best i.e. most expensive BIN?

Now what about the electronic driver, heat source, reflector etc?

Brendan
Post #672354 20th Dec 2017 9:56pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I didn't mean headlights though Brendan, they are obligatory and wouldn't have them without the 'E' mark (currently) and very pleased with the Noldens I have.
They are also safety critical.

My main reason for having your stereo typical eBay LED light bars is vast range, design, reflector design and variable sizes and outputs.
The current 'E' marked range, is very limited and not going to suit everybody, and for me price is not the pure factor.

I hope at some point this stupid 'E' Mark thing will be a thing of the past, after all no one is going to be killed by a light bar....
The rest of the world manages just fine, and we're not any better off for it.

However, I doubt much will change on that and as someone else said here recently.
The DFT, might come up with something else more daft instead.

The vast magority of drivers have no idea what it means, or know anything about it and we are missing out on massive markets from around the world. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #672362 20th Dec 2017 10:08pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Quote:

I hope at some point this stupid 'E' Mark thing will be a thing of the past, after all no one is going to be killed by a light bar....
The rest of the world manages just fine, and we're not any better off for it.

For legal road use optional driving lights including LED light bars have to be APPROVED.

This comes under the auspice of the World Forum for Vehicle Harmonisation Regulations which is set up by the UN.

62 countries are signed up as participating countries of the vehicle harmonisation regulations and most of the other countries accept the regulations. USA and Canada do not participate to the vehicle harmonisation regulations.

So there is little or no chance of getting rid of the Vehicle Harmonisation Regulations and the requirement for APPROVAL marks on items fitted to road going vehicles in the foreseeable future.

Equipment used off road? Then type approval regulations may well not apply.

Brendan
Post #672406 21st Dec 2017 12:57am
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
I buy almost all my light bars from a fella on ebay V-liteway. Stocks been a little hit n miss recently but the bars are good quality, waterproof and do last. Last ones I had 52" bar + 3 12" bars lasted around 4 years or so until I sold my 90. Also has a brilliant warranty, replaced 2 of the 12" no questions asked (turns out i hadnt wired them up right!)

WOW Factor on ebay are meant to be decent too, Ultra4 tested apparently...
Post #672443 21st Dec 2017 11:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>