↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Which sound proofing?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Djcla

United Kingdom 
Thanks for info , btw any tips putting that carpet down , where did you make the joins/cuts?
Post #684182 4th Feb 2018 9:42pm
gaijin

Switzerland 
Wet
My interior gets wet, stays wet, or freezes solid. Not from leaks (yet), from skis and all the snow the kids bring in. Not sure if it matters but the floors take a beating too - ski boots, heavy things carried in the back. Any suggestions for sound deadening that will stand up to this?
Post #684330 5th Feb 2018 6:38pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Djcla wrote:
Thanks for info , btw any tips putting that carpet down , where did you make the joins/cuts?

The best tip is to grow another pair of arms Rolling Eyes Seriously, with glue on both the carpet and where you want to stick it, it's like juggling jelly.

I did it in sections: a carefully measured piece for each wheelbox, another for each side below the capping, one for the floor and one for the bulkhead. The carpet itself is stretchy and so reasonably forgiving but the glue, once it sticks, doesn't want to let go so there's little chance for repositioning. I used a wallpaper edging roller to smooth it down (and the various sound proofing layers). Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #684355 5th Feb 2018 8:24pm
LandRoverAnorak

Re: Wet
gaijin wrote:
My interior gets wet, stays wet, or freezes solid. Not from leaks (yet), from skis and all the snow the kids bring in. Not sure if it matters but the floors take a beating too - ski boots, heavy things carried in the back. Any suggestions for sound deadening that will stand up to this?

The sound insulation stuff is quite waterproof but not very robust. Rubber matting over the top would work though. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #684356 5th Feb 2018 8:25pm
Djcla

United Kingdom 
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Djcla wrote:

The best tip is to grow another pair of arms Rolling Eyes Seriously, with glue on both the carpet and where you want to stick it, it's like juggling jelly.

I did it in sections: a carefully measured piece for each wheelbox, another for each side below the capping, one for the floor and one for the bulkhead. The carpet itself is stretchy and so reasonably forgiving but the glue, once it sticks, doesn't want to let go so there's little chance for repositioning. I used a wallpaper edging roller to smooth it down (and the various sound proofing layers).

Did you hide the joins easily enough?
Post #684369 5th Feb 2018 9:17pm
LandRoverAnorak

Yes, the picture I posted gives a pretty good indication. Darren

Post #684372 5th Feb 2018 9:26pm
Djcla

United Kingdom 
Yeah was impressed on the pic as I couldn't see any Smile
Post #684380 5th Feb 2018 9:35pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I have a combo of Dynamat (for instance on the rear walls of my USW) and NoiseKiller (under carpet).
Very happy - can hold a conversation (or use my hands-free) at 65mph - could not do that before I lashed-out on the soundproofing Thumbs Up

Basically a full noisekiller kit plus dynamat on extra areas... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #684494 6th Feb 2018 12:28pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I don't think you can beat the Dynamat but everyone has their own preferences.

There was some talk about some cheapo stuff off of eBay containing higher levels of lead and other nastys.

But, it's difficult to say if that's just manufacturer spin to try and beat down rivals or true unless anyone wants to test it. Rolling Eyes
I have doors and roof to do, doing the seatboxes, front floors made a big difference and the seatbox bases also.
Full coverage, with maximum effect. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ RED, WHITE & BOOST! πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§

Last edited by custom90 on 15th May 2019 9:27pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #684516 6th Feb 2018 3:13pm
Orchard

Off Topic slight off topic - I don’t have the time or skill to DIY, is there anyone in Midlands/Oxford area that can do a professional fitting of full sound insulation materials ? 2015 90 XS SW Bowler
1998 TD5 CSW
Post #684521 6th Feb 2018 3:54pm
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I'm hoping to fit some of the silent coat I have very soon. Is it a problem fitting in such cold weather? Was thinking about bringing an electric fan heater in the car with me while I do it to try and get it to room temp
Post #684525 6th Feb 2018 4:17pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Warmer is better, a hairdryer is useful too during actual installation.

If you can get hold of one of course. Laughing

Also don't forget gloves, it cuts very easily.
Those horrible cuts like paper cuts you wouldn't even know are done until they sting. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ RED, WHITE & BOOST! πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Post #684532 6th Feb 2018 4:57pm
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Well I've started my sound proofing venture, starting with the bulkhead behind the seats which my sub is mounted too and makes the worst rattling noise. Used 5mm silentcoat for the bottom of the panel which was the rattliest and where the is mounted on to and the 3mm black silentcoat for the top half.

The end result is I can have my sub on full volume and not rattles any more! Amazing difference! Next venture will be the front footwells with some of the 5mm stuff to cut down the engine noise hopefully. Think I'll use the rest of the 3mm for rear wheel arches and roof lining where you don't need something quite as heavy.

Click image to enlarge

Will keep you posted next time I get round to doing some. πŸ‘
Post #685816 11th Feb 2018 6:10pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Think I’m going to have a go with the Silentcoat what do you use to prep the paint before glueing it down.
Post #769033 17th Apr 2019 10:58pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I use Upol System 20 fast panel wipe, but you need respirator gloves etc and in goof ventilation such as outside.
It will clean the panel spotlessly and safe on the paint, just make sure the microfibre cloth you use stays clean and never picks up and debris like swarf etc. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ RED, WHITE & BOOST! πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§

Last edited by custom90 on 15th May 2019 9:28pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #769035 17th Apr 2019 11:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>