Page 54 of 105 <123 ... 535455 ... 103104105>
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Yes, it just gives me the option for German. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #918556 24th Aug 2021 4:53pm
County V8

United Kingdom 
Click on thethitd one down subtitles then it should give another box click on Autotranslate and it should put up a list then scroll to approriatelanguage click on it and it should translate on the fly if video is playing have a play.
Post #918559 24th Aug 2021 5:12pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I turned captions on using the "cc" icon, then clicked on the settings cog icon and selected the "auto translate" option, which then gave a list of many languages for the output.

In reality the translation is so bizarre that it isn't very useful, but it is quite funny at times (at one point the presenter is, according to the auto translate, looking at the door cards and discussing the possibility of "jerking off"). Shocked
Post #918562 24th Aug 2021 5:44pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Thanks foy your help, I've managed it now Thumbs Up 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #918563 24th Aug 2021 5:52pm
ChasingOurTrunks

Episode 10 of Building the Gren is out:

https://ineosgrenadier.com/en-gb/explore/t...-grenadier

I've posted my takeaways on Expedition Portal, but only a few folks cross-visit this forum and that one, so here's my thoughts from the other forum:

Of note - Looks like the transmission is properly sorted, allowing for automatic most of the time but a lot of manual control too (Many do these days, but this is the first I've seen the ability to lock the transmission into a gear being 100% confirmed for the Grenadier). And if that's not enough they also have Hill Descent Control. The lack of a manual was a concern for some, but I've always found Autos provide for a lot more mechanical sympathy off-road; the biggest issue with autos is on hill decent but it looks like they've got that taken care of. The other argument against Autos is that if they fail you can't bump start, but modern Autos are incredibly reliable and, as long as they manage the temperatures, there's no reason to fear the reliability of the auto in the Grenadier.

The Global Experience tour -- where folks can get some hands-on experience with the Gren -- is hitting quite a few places. On the list is UK, USA, Germany, the rest of Europe, Sub-saharan Africa, the Middle East, and Australia. The events have started in the UK and Germany, but the diversity of events underscores Ineos's previous commitment to this being a global platform.

Interior visibility is supposedly excellent from the Driver's seat.

Mark Evans gets behind the wheel and his first statement is "Feels like your gliding" off road -- that may be a planted line, but other guests have said the same thing, so I think it's legit. And I have some insight into this experience in a comparative way and how surprising "smooth" off road can be; I remember going from a Jeep Sport to a Jeep Rubicon, and it just so happened that I was on the same road about a week apart in both vehicles. In the Rubicon I was amazed that I didn't have to pull over to take a drink from a bottle -- the Sport was so choppy on the washboard due to the poorer quality suspension components that it was impossible to take a sip without spilling. In the Rubicon, I could put a cup of tea and a saucer on the dash and would only see ripples in the cup -- so, I get what he means when he says "feels like your gliding" off road - a proper suspension setup allows for that, and it's a wonderful experience that not everyone gets to have.

The other comment that jumped out to me is that it's quiet inside and folks can have normal conversations. Jeep or classic Defender owners will know that cabin noise can get very tiring after a long day, and it's nice to be able to chat with your travelling companions.

These vids are very much a case of the barber telling me I need a haircut, but I have to say I give full props to Ineos for this transparent approach to this vehicle, and with each new video I'm getting more and more excited to own one. I think this Grenadier will be an incredibly good Overland travel platform for a lot of folks who like the 4x4 wagon format.
Post #919552 1st Sep 2021 5:54pm
County V8

United Kingdom 
I can confirm all that been in that vechicle over that course its all true and it was very wet when we went so even better
Post #919555 1st Sep 2021 5:59pm
diduan

Bulgaria 
ChasingOurTrunks wrote:

but modern Autos are incredibly reliable

🤩🤩🤩 Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Jeep Wrangler YJ 1990 4.0. Front 78' Dana 60, Rear CUCV 14 bolt
Post #919556 1st Sep 2021 6:03pm
ResGuy68

United States 
Is it just me or does the clearance look really poor on the Grenadier? (Breakover looks similarly bad)

A quick eye-check puts it at about 1/4 of the diameter of the tires (assuming 265/70/17, i.e. 31.6"). Is the clearance really only 8"?

For reference, its' competitors (Wrangler, 4Runner, Bronco, Defender) have factory ground clearance in the 10-12" range. The old defender was all the way up at 12.4"
Post #919833 3rd Sep 2021 6:20pm
Prospector

United States 
With 275/70R17 (32" diameter) tires and beam axles it doesn't seem likely the clearance of the Grenadier will be over 10 inches, but I would be surprised if it isn't at least 9.5 inches. The FJ Cruiser came stock with the same tire size and had 9.6 inches clearance. It had independent front suspension and beam rear. The differential pumpkins on the FJ established the clearance spec.

To achieve the clearance specs of 11.0 inches, 35" tires would be required, assuming there is adequate space in the wheel wells of the Grenadier to accommodate.
Post #919837 3rd Sep 2021 6:49pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Regarding the video.
That slope did not look overly steep to me. The descent in first low did seem rather fast. I presume the solution referred to by the driver regarding the vehicle staying in first low on descent is electronic in nature. This puts us firmly in the territory of the new Defender.
The woman says how quiet the vehicle is. She cannot be comparing it to a Puma. I find the Puma to be remarkably quiet and relaxed to drive. Even at motorway speeds I can talk to the wife or indeed someone in the back.
I like the whole idea of the Grenadier but I honestly think that if Land Rover had built on the strengths of the Puma rather than ditching it a really fine vehicle could have been enhanced even further. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #919846 3rd Sep 2021 7:28pm
ChasingOurTrunks

Good observations Spudfan - I watched the vid a second time and noted that the downhill did seem a bit quick for the slope, especially for a low range first gear. I wondered if it was the vehicle going too quick on the descent, or if they cut in other footage there, but it did seem a bit spirited as it went down the hill. All the more reason to eagerly await a chance to test drive it myself!

I do think the "lock it in gear" is electronic in nature, but I think that's just the way of it with the modern ZF transmission -- I think the whole thing is electronically controlled. But, when it's locked, it does seem to rely on engine compression to slow down; it appears the Gren has a separate Hill Descent Control feature which modulates the breaks, but the tester mentioned something about that being for hill descent when in 4-High.

I wish we could have gotten the Pumas here in Canada, and I share your sentiment on what could have been. But, at least we have the option of the Gren....I can't help but think of all the die-hard FJ Cruiser fans over here that have been left a bit high and dry!
Post #919890 3rd Sep 2021 11:41pm
Tim in Scotland

Questions - HDC on New Defender will hold it at down to 2mph, 3 mph lower than previous LR cars with HDC, so slow that the driver often wants to increase the speed using the cruise control buttons. So why cannot the Grenadier have a hill decent control that works down to slower than walking pace - many other makers have HDC now too? Does Grenadier also have automatic gradient control, that is automatically hold the car on the parking brake on a slope without using the footbrake or hand brake/ EPB?
On the first gear lock - New Defender can be locked in first gear or 2nd or 3rd or 4th or all the way up to 7th if you want BUT it will be forced into an up shift if it reaches the Rev limiter, to protect the engine, does Grenadier’s system also force an up change to prevent engine damage? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 4th Sep 2021 7:24pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #919915 4th Sep 2021 8:53am
ChasingOurTrunks

Fully speculative on my part here Tim but you’ve asked some valuable questions.

I’m going to guess that since this appears to be all electronically controlled, that the HDC speed is a matter of programming and can be adjusted before the final launch to allow as you’ve said — lock in it at a walking speed, and ease up as necessary. That would be my preference for the HDC. I’m assuming based entirely off of a comment from the video, the HDC works by pulsing the breaks electronically, which is probably a simple matter of “when vehicle detects X speed, apply Y brakes until Z speed is reached” type of programming language; change the variables and you change how HDC operates. Whether they will do this or not I’m not sure but it is reasonable to assume that they can, and if we’re making these observations based on their officially released video, no doubt someone in their testing regimen has also noted this issue (they seem to be using actual experts on the testing front as well as end-user feedback). So, I’m optimistic that they will have this dialled in (but I have a bias here — I already own one of these in my minds eye, so I’m not as critical as perhaps I should be!)

On the other hand, locking it into gear does present a risk to the engine as you’ve identified. I can see two ways of addressing that, again assuming that this is all electronically controlled. The first is the failsafe that JLR has put in place — you can lock it into gear, but it will upshift on you if you rev too high. The other way (and the way I think I’d prefer) is by using a rev limiter. If I lock my truck into low range 1st, I really want it to stay there, and I would prefer the vehicle stop me from revving it too high (allowing me to theoretically reach a “max power/speed” point) as opposed to shifting on it’s own (which can force me to accelerate if I rev high and it shifts, even if I don’t want to).

All of the above is based on electronically controlled components — throttle, transmission, etc. I know there is a bit of a story of this thing being a “Back to Basics, bush-fixable” 4x4, but I don’t think they meant “back to steel cables to actuate throttles and shifters” so I think it’s a safe bet that most of this stuff is decided by a microchip. While that does give one pause in terms of complexity (83 ECUs in the competition…), I think we’ve gotten pretty good at building bombproof solid state electronics, so this isn’t a deal breaker for me necessarily. I’d prefer the idea of being able to fix my shifter cable with some bailing wire, but practically speaking the odds of having to do that aren’t high anyway, so if there are limited electronics for components like this, I can live with it (assuming they work! Looking at you, Jaguar X-Types!)
Post #919973 4th Sep 2021 5:00pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
Given its a ZF transmission and even the shifter is BMW then it will work just like youd expect in loads of vehicles which have that same ZF box. I very much doubt ineos or anybody else has special programming for it beyond shift points and possibly gearing etc. Id have thought the HDC is probably supplied by a 3rd party like bosch or someone. They wont have done it themselves, and id doubt JLR do either.
Post #921394 14th Sep 2021 9:23am
Philm

United Kingdom 
I think you will find JLR has a stake in it. Very Happy
Post #921395 14th Sep 2021 9:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 54 of 105 <123 ... 535455 ... 103104105>